New PC Builds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC Builds

I've noticed several people building new PCs.. especially for BF4 coming out.

I realize that there is a huge following for AMD AND Intel. Before I go any further, I assure you that I've given both companies extensive consideration. I spent about 30 hours researching benchmarks for the system I just built and everything I found points to Intel being better than AMD. I'd rather not argue about it. Just take what I say for what it is, and if you disagree, let the people reading know why and leave it at that. I'd rather not fanboy flame this thread. :P

I just finished building my new system about a month ago. It's still missing some things, but it's good enough for now. It's cost me $1,500 bucks, but you can get it cheaper if you can afford the lump sum at one time. I couldn't, and had to buy all the things separate, meaning I didn't get excellent deals.

Benchmarks:

Natural Selection 2 on ultra settings - 120 FPS
    Starcraft 2 on ultra settings - 90 FPS
    Planetside 2 on ultra settings - not sure about FPS, but it's enough that I NEVER stutter under any circumstances.
    Battlefield 4 beta on ultra settings - not sure about FPS yet (will update later) but I get microstutters on ultra when explosions happen on 50+ player servers. My current settings are on auto, which sets everything to high (not sure about AA settings, can't remember) and the game runs just fine and looks beautiful. I can set my FOV to full on auto settings with no FPS issues.

It's all being fed to an LG LCD 42 in TV at 1020p HD at like 1920x1020 resolution.

Hardware:

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST Twin Frozr 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card - 2048MB GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, Display-Port, NVIDIA SLI, DirectX11.1, Overclocked (N650ti TF 2GD5/OC BE)

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K BX80637i53570K Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 77W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail

My HDD is an old crappy one out of my 10 year old PC, but I'm pretty sure it's a sata 3 drive at either 5400 or 7200 RPM.

Mobo - Gigabyte Intel Z77 Motherboard - ATX, LGA1155, Intel Z77 Express, 2800 MHz (OC) DDR3, SATA III (6Gb/s), 7.1-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, RAID (GA-Z77-HD3)
    I'm not sure if this mobo is the exact one I have, but it's a Z77 Express with PCIe 3.0, etc etc. I think it's the HD3, but I'm not sure. I'd recommend a better mobo, but this was what was in my budget. (The awesome thing about the mobo I'm using is that it has built in power surge detection. It's already saved me once. What this means is that if the mobo detects an overvoltage from the PSU, it'll cut the power from the PSU to the mobo immediately. It's the same thing as a surge protector you plug in to, except it's built into your board. So that means that if you use a surge protector, and you get this board, you have 2 lines of defense for any overvoltage that may occur in your electrical network).

No CD/DVD drive.

One single 120mm blue LED fan running in my case.

PSU - I don't remember which one I got, but it's a 750 Watt PSU. It's a bit much for what I have, but I plan on using SLI. My mobo can use 32 gigs of RAM and up to an i7 (1155) processor, so I figured I'd get the wattage while I could. This doesn't make much difference in gaming... but you need X wattage to run X video card, especially if you plan on using SLI. There are online resources to find out what wattage you need for the system you plan on running. Google it. It's easy enough to find.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS

There are better cards on the market, and better processors... and better RAM. But, as you can see from my benchmarks above for each game I play, I run this just fine.

You can get all these components from Tigerdirect.com. It's an excellent company. Occasionally, you will get some things from them that do not work. Just return them. I've built about 12 computers to date from Tigerdirect and I've only had one DVD drive need to be returned.

Prices:

If you buy all these things individually, it's going to get pricey. The good thing about Tigerdirect is that you can get barebones bundles for excellent deals.

The deals:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...009&CatId=4910
    Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40 GHz Quad Core Unlocked and GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H Intel 7 Series Motherboard and Patriot Viper Xtreme 4GB Desktop Memory Module and LG 24X SATA Super-Multi DVD Internal R Bundle - $479 with an $80 rebate - Add Windows 7, 4 more gigs of RAM, and the 650 Ti Boost (or better) and you're looking at...
    Total Price Estimate: Around $800

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...890&CatId=4910
    Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40 GHz Quad Core Unlocked and GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H Intel 7 Series Motherboard and Patriot Viper Xtreme 4GB Desktop Memory Module and LG 24X SATA Super-Multi DVD Internal R Bundle - $499 with a $60 rebate - Add Windows 7, 4 more gigs of RAM, and the 650 Ti Boost (or better) and you're looking at...
    Total Price Estimate: Around $850

This should serve as a good starting point for you guys.

If you're interested in other barebones bundles at Tigerdirect... they are here:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...c.asp?CatId=31
    It has AMD and Intel based systems to choose from. You can do what you like, but I strongly recommend an Intel i5-3570k or better processor for today's games.

Again... there may be better options out there, and I realize that. There may even be better AMD options that I simply missed in my research... but I know for a fact that the system I have built will do what I said it will above... and I know that it has PLENTY of room for upgrading. For $1000 bucks, you can't beat it, imho. And for another $500 to $1000, I can be just about top of the market right now.

I hope this helps you guys trying to build new systems for BF4 and other games coming out.

:)

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Re: New PC Builds

There also a slew of various hardware bundles over at NewEgg. I tend to look at NewEgg first and any brick-and-mortar stores (or former ones) like TigerDirect or Micro Center second. NewEgg also has a much wider and varied selection that cannot be found or matched by TD or MC. Not every state has either or both stores and if you happen to reside in a state where there is a TD or MC, then you'll get charged tax on top of shipping costs, which frankly negates most deals you'll find at either place.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I should have specified I was strictly referring to online orders. I've compared prices and 90% of the time, TD came out over Newegg for strictly online prices.

With that being said, all prices fluctuate across those websites and others. It's important to check out all resources to get the best deal.

Another good idea, if you live in a smaller town and not such a big city as myself, is to try craigslist for individual parts or even entire builds. I live in Tucson, so this isn't very feasible for me due to the risk of loss or danger it poses going to deal with a thousand dollars in cash. But in small town America when you know half the people, and can trust the deals you find on there, you'll probably come out on top there. Be sure to compare any listed prices to online store prices before you buy. I know I see people trying to rip people off on CL all the time with computer prices.

Mom
      Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Again, if there is a TigerDirect or MicroCenter store in the same state where you place that online order, you will get charged tax (whatever tax your state imposes). Otherwise, if you don't happen to live in a state that has a TD or MC store, then you're probably safe (assuming shipping doesn't kill the deal).

Personally, I won't get parts used for a new build. My philosophy is that if something might go wrong with that new part, I'd rather have the full backing of a warranty and I'd have the receipt to proof purchase. I'm not saying don't use sites like Craigslist or eBay, but if you buy a part there and there isn't any warranty on that part, you'll be out a part and/or whatever you paid for it.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I completely agree, Acreo. The RAM I just bought from TD came with a absolutely terrible LifeTime warranty. :P

In fact, all the RAM I've bought from TD has come with a LifeTime warranty. And almost everything else comes with a 24 month warranty.

I never buy physically, if I can help it. I almost bought a GTX 660 from Craigslist when I was building my new system because he wanted $40 for it. I was SO torn for like 3 weeks. It was a risk, and I, frankly, couldn't afford to spend the money and waste it at that point. But a 660 for $40 was such a sweet deal, I almost went for it. Be sure to think things through very clearly if you're short on cash and you see deals like this. Talk to the person in depth, ask for a demonstration to make sure it's working. Do all the things you can from your end before handing over your money on something that may bite you.

And I wasn't aware of the TD physical store causing you to have to pay tax for online orders. That's good info. :)

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

I can't remember the last time I bought RAM that did not have a lifetime limited warranty. I think that's a given nowadays. Having RAM trouble is relatively easy to fix and diagnose. Replacing it pretty easy if you have a computer store nearby and are willing to pay retail price. Otherwise buying online has its own set of challenges. You don't get to see a product from every persepective or angle sometimes (like cases), so you might order it and get it and realize you have to return it and find another case b/c something you couldn't see before didn't meet your specifications/requirements. You may think "I'll look up a review" and you'll be surprised how often people only take a few glancing shots of a product without going into any real depth of coverage. So in the end, you're making a educated guess or trying to find a sample in a physical store you can mess with. There's also fees associated with shipping an item back and/or restocking fees, so you could end up losing money if you ever have to return a item and/or exchange it (Amazon being much better when it comes to exchanges, but being worse than NewEgg when it comes to browsing for products like computer components).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

@mom
              Update that hard drive. 10 years is way too long. A hard drive crash will really ruin your day...

Comment

Considering this build in the next few weeks.....

It would be brand new, the only thing being carried over from my old build would be the SSD and one of the 1TB drives.

Comment

Yeah... that HDD is ancient, and I realize it. But, it's serving me well, and it doesn't hold any crucial data. All my games are on demand via internet, no CD keys or disks needed. If it does fail, I can just replace it, redownload, and I'm good to go. Plus, being a technician, I know how to take care of my hardware, so the drive is optimal on all levels.

Acreo,

There's always a chance of things going bad with any purchase. I've been buying components and computer barebones kits online for years now, and I can say that the research is there if you take the time to do it. You can easily find solid reviews, benchmarks, and the like online for any particular product on the market, as long as it's current. With that being said, I would call it... a safe gamble. I wouldn't call it an educated guess or a risk, but you're right, it comes with it's own set of risks (much like any purchase you make... buy a $1000 TV and you never know if you'll drop it before you get home and lose money cuz it can't be replaced if YOU drop it).

The big thing, imho, is that if you buy online, and you do it intelligently, you can skip taxes sometimes, you can get free shipping sometimes, and generally you will find much better deals online than you will at a physical location.

The main point is that you have to be careful. Don't get too excited about epic deals because they're probably not worth it, unless they're from a reputable source.

Jeepo,

The only thing I would say about that build is that you should be careful with that RAM. Any RAM that is clocked over 1600 mhz is overclocked and generally uses 1.65 volts as opposed to 1.5 volts. Motherboard RAM controllers are built to use 1.5 volts only, unless you can find something special that I couldn't.

If the RAM is 1.65 volts, it will eventually burn out the RAM controller. You won't have a problem with this for a few years, but it will almost certainly come back to bite you. It's basically the same thing as pushing too much current across a wire that is too small. Eventually, it's going to cause an open in the wire.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

According to this it uses 1.5v to reach those speeds:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=8&subcat=1387

But if I am wrong, I would happily switch it out!? This will be my 3rd build in about 9 years, but every year I find myself having to research all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                      Considering this build in the next few weeks.....

It would be brand new, the only thing being carried over from my old build would be the SSD and one of the 1TB drives.
                      Jeepo. Are you going with stock cooling on the chip?
                      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Jeepo,

That RAM will be fine.

There is a lot of OC RAM that DOES use 1.5v. And, don't let me scare you into not using 1.65v if you have/want to. It'll work fine, and it's likely to work for the duration of your PC life. But it WILL eventually burn out our RAM controller (using 1.65v, just to be clear). But if you're building for longevity, which is how I always build, then you can expect to need to replace your mobo in about 3 years if you're running 1.65v RAM. I've built my current PC so that I can put another $1000 into it before I need to drop $1000 on a new build completely. I can upgrade my graphics card (even SLI), processor, and go up to 32 gb of OC RAM at 2400 mhz... so... it was very concerning to me to find out that if I got 1.65v RAM it would likely burn out my controller in about 2 to 3 years.

EDIT: To speak to this further, it's the equivalent of running... say... 10 amps over an 8 amp cord. It'll work, and it'll probably work for a good, long time... but eventually it's going to degrade the cord and sever the connection.

Do be advised, though, that most motherboards need to be specifically set up to run RAM at OC speeds (such as yours), otherwise they will just run at 1600 mhz, which is max unless OC'd. EDIT: Also, be certain that that motherboard can run OC RAM (I THINK it can, but I'd rather you know for sure than go on my guess... assuming you haven't looked already, and that's not a package deal). If you plan on running higher frequencies later on, you'll want to ensure that the mobo can run said frequency as well.

Another thing people should know about RAM is that, in a lot of cases, you can OC RAM beyond what it is "rated" at. So, technically speaking, you can manipulate your 1866MHz RAM to run at higher frequencies... but, I'm almost 100% positive that by doing so you will void your lifetime (or other) warranty. The same can be said about almost all frequency based hardware. I'm pretty sure that even though I got a 3570k processor (which is designed to be unlocked and overclock-able) it will void my warranty with Intel as they do not guarantee operation above the stock frequencies.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

I don't see a aftermarket cooler, so I'm assuming you're not OCing Jeepo? If not, I'd just stick with DDR3-1600 RAM. Saves you a little bit and you don't even have to OV your RAM.

My experience with OVing (overvoltage) is different from YerMom's. I usually follow a simple rule of thumb: buy a board that will let you OC well if you're going to OC. Mainly I look for a board that has heatsinks on the VRMs around my CPU socket (top and ports side) as well as heatsink over the northbridge (quite a few components of this is now integrated into both AMD and Intel CPUs) and southbridge chipsets (starting to become shrink as more of the SB's components start to become integrated onto a Platform Module). As for burning out the memory controller, never had it happen yet in the past 10 years of mild to moderate overclocks (last system: ASUS P5Q, DDR2-800 ov'd @ 1.9v, 4+ years).

For the past few generations, both AMD and Intel have moved their memory controller (aka RAM controller) on board their processors. This component is no longer integrated in the northbridge.

Now if you have a older board, chipset, and chip that still has a northbridge and the memory controller resides still on the NB, then I'd probably look at getting a heatsink mounted on top to help cool it down during overvoltage and overclocks.

1866 @ 1.5v...that is very nice. Considering 1.5v is standard for DDR3 RAM.

@ YerMon,

I do my research before buying. Not every warranty transfers with ownership. And who knows how the last owner really used his components? Anyways, buy used at your own risk is what I'm trying to say. Not to dissuade anyone from buying used parts. There are some pretty awesome deals out there, but do your own research into the seller before you buy. Ask the seller questions if you are unsure. If you don't like what you hear or aren't comfortable with the risk, get it elsewhere.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Sorry gents - firstly the MoBo comes with a cooler:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MB-437-GI

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...30&subcat=2349

I may grab a Corsair Hydro in the future if/when I do OC, but this one should be fine.

My general way of building is to give me plenty of overhead to upgrade little incremental things in the future. So I know I can CrossFire this thing - it is why I want such a high power PSU. That 280x GPU pulls 250w apparently.....But I am not 100% sold on that PSU. I could/should maybe go for a slightly higher Watt and better brand.......But I figure in about 18 months I can do that. Modular PSU doesn't really bother me - sure it would be nice. Figured I may as well get Haswell compatible when I am at it.

Also, I can stick more ram in in the future, and will be quite happy to keep it stock at 1.5v for now.

Much <3 guys - I feel like a noob relearning this stuff!

Comment

Sorry gents - firstly the MoBo comes with a cooler:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MB-437-GI

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...30&subcat=2349

I may grab a Corsair Hydro in the future if/when I do OC, but this one should be fine.

My general way of building is to give me plenty of overhead to upgrade little incremental things in the future. So I know I can CrossFire this thing - it is why I want such a high power PSU. That 280x GPU pulls 250w apparently.....But I am not 100% sold on that PSU. I could/should maybe go for a slightly higher Watt and better brand.......But I figure in about 18 months I can do that. Modular PSU doesn't really bother me - sure it would be nice. Figured I may as well get Haswell compatible when I am at it.

Also, I can stick more ram in in the future, and will be quite happy to keep it stock at 1.5v for now.

Much <3 guys - I feel like a noob relearning this stuff!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X