Upgrading to Windows 8, a couple questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to Windows 8, a couple questions

So from everything I've been hearing on reddit and from various Youtube personalities, Battlefield 4 performs noticeably better on Windows 8 than on Windows 7. Since Windows 8.1 releases in a week and the 8.1 preview was quite good, I'm thinking now is a good time to upgrade and then download the 8.1 update on the 17th.

Currently I've got Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and three drives. C:\ is a 256GB SSD with my OS, about half of my programs, and a couple games and is close to full. E:\ is a 500GB HDD with the rest of my games, programs, personal files, etc and has around 250GB used. F:\ is a 500GB HDD and is dedicated to video recording and screenshots, and a 50GB Ubuntu installation, other than Ubuntu's partition it is mostly empty.

What's the process for the upgrade? I know I can purchase the Win8 upgrade and key and download the .iso and burn that to a DVD. Will the upgrade preserve installed programs and my files? And if so, how?

Basically I'm lazy and don't want to reformat. I just want to know going in if I'm going to have to reinstall everything or not.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Re: Upgrading to Windows 8, a couple questions

Lancer, there is an option to upgrade and retain everything as is. However I know a couple of people who have said that this isn't quite true, at least for them and to get everything working correctly as reformat was necessary.

Also if you are just doing it primarily for BF4, why not hold off and see what today's patch does for your performance. Mine on Win 7 is noticeably smoother with much more normal CPU utilisation and FPS closer to what I would expect and get in BF3. I honestly don't expect the release version to have anywhere near as many issues re DirectX and Win 7, that would be suicide for DICE. Entirely up to you and there are some plusses an minuses with Win 8 but if you can hold off till launch plus see what the unoptimised beta does in response to this patch you may be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Everything runs better on windows 8, even your car, conspiracy?...nah.

Wait till release, optimizing a game for a single OS is suicide, hold your ground and see what happens.

Comment

I've had pretty good performance relative to most other players over the last week. I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading to 8.1, but BF4 performance gives me a big reason to do it. I'm certain that release performance is going to be leaps and bounds better, just look at BF3 alpha, beta, and release. BF3 beta performed pretty poorly, but was well refined when it hit release.

Mostly its an alignment of factors. I'm eligible for the student discount, 8.1 comes out in a week and is apparently awesome, and BF4 performs better on Windows 8. I figure its just the right time to do it.

And thanks Wicks, knowing it saves everything makes this a lot easier. If I end up having to reformat I'll just do it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Windows 8... while the UI sucks, it handles background processes a lot better. I've noticed a general performance boost from Win8 vs Win7... at least with general usage. I haven't tried to measure performance in-game.

I would say that I've never had a good experience "upgrading" windows. I always rebuild / re-install everything.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

I concur with asch. The best option for "upgrading" an OS is a fresh format/install.

With that being said, if you're going to drop some cash on the OS, you might as well take one of those extra drives, buy a full copy of 8 and install it on whatever drive and just do a dual boot and run BF4 in Win 8 and keep the rest of the stuff in Win 7.

One thing a lot of people don't seem to realize is that Win 8 is the same thing as Win Vista or Win ME. It's just a new version of Windows 7. Windows 9 will be an entirely new OS. There are some fundamental differences, and differences in code, and you'll never see MS admit that 8 IS 7... but it is.

I don't think the difference will be that noticeable, imho. The hardware you have in your computer, the way you operate it, startup programs, background processes, antivirus/antispyware programs... anything like that is going to hamper performance, not the OS you're running. And on that note, it's important to understand that as OS's progress, they progressively run more and more background processes to sustain their environment. Windows XP required a minimum of 17 processes to be running for the OS to perform with no additional support. Windows Vista required about 40. Windows 7 requires about 50, I think. And I'm sure that Windows 8 requires on the order of around 60 or 70, just based on the progression I've seen thus far. That means that, unless you're allowing more resources to be used in the form of upgrading hardware, you're going to end up balancing out performance (again, imho) because the OS will be using more core resources to operate than Win 7.

A lot of that is speculation, as I don't know the difference it will make in the BF4 environment. I guess the best thing for me to say is that I'm a technician for a living... and the BF series is my favorite series of all time... and I'm running Win 7 HP, and not worried about losing performance based on my OS.

Mom
            Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
            Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
            Forever Perplexed

Comment

Honestly I'm not seeing any reason, other than perhaps convenience, to do a dual boot with 8 and 7, especially since 8.1 (according to the reviews of 8.1 preview) is going to fix most of the interface problems people complain about. In general terms, most of the feedback I've seen from BF4 beta players who are running Win8 (particularly those who switched from 7 to 8) are reporting less framerate stutter and fewer framerate drops overall. This is before any patches were pushed out.

Part of this is I feel like playing with 8. I realize that it is basically 7, which is entirely why I didn't upgrade until now.

I'm fully aware that reformatting is the correct way of doing things, but as I said in the first post I just don't feel like taking the extra time if I can avoid it for basically the same result.

If things go wrong, I'll reformat, no big deal. If I can upgrade without having to move or reinstall anything, then that's an extra chunk of time I've saved that I can spend on something else, like playing BF4.

Comment

You can upgrade to Windows 8 and have Win8 keep your entire Win7. From what I remember in upgrading my 3 systems to Windows 8, Win8 will keep your entire Win7 partition as a separate partition on the drive. Obviously if there isn't enough room, it probably won't be able to do so. It might offer you alternatives like trimming files or perhaps keeping just the ones you wanna keep on a separate folder.

As for upgrade vs. clean install: clean install! Mostly it comes down to drivers having to be reinstalled anyways after a upgrade. There were quite a few apps I had to reinstall anyways in order to get them to function properly (most of my Steam games for example). I performed a upgrade my first time just to experience it and see how Win8 handled keeping my old files. In the end, the second time around, I just backed up what I needed to, wiped my SSD, installed Win8 from afresh, then loaded drivers and such.

As for UI, there are plenty of Start Menu alternative programs out there that let you "bring back" and even customize your Start Menu to your liking (including some hybrid Metro UI Start Menu). I've used Start8 and StartIsBack on my own Win8 systems. I've recommended ClassicShell to other TGers (including BeSiege82). All three let you completely disable HotCorners on the desktop, boot to desktop, and disable the entire new Start Menu.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Isn't 8.1 a free download for current owners of 8?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                    Isn't 8.1 a free download for current owners of 8?
                    Yep.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X