Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying New Computer- Requesting TG Input

Hello TG,

I am looking at buying a new PC. I saw a deal I thought looked pretty good on Ibuypower ending this monday. I would like some opinion from TG to help me decide if I should make the purchase. The website claims I am getting a $700 off on the video card, a free SSD upgrade (64 to 128 gig) and a memory upgrade in quality. I need this computer to last me at least 2 years, maybe 4.

Looking for opinion on:
    1) Anything blatantly wrong with it?

2) Will it run ArmA 3 well/easily?

3) Is the price reasonable given the power I am getting from it? (Could I get the same build for much less price by building myself or buying elsewhere?) [This supposed to be a $700 off video card and a free upgrade on memory…]

4) Any obvious bottlenecks which render other part of it useless?

5) Is the power supply sufficient? Or do I need to go up to 1350 or 1500?

-------------SPECS BEGIN HERE-----------
    Case 1 x Thermaltake Armor Revo Full Tower Gaming Case-Black

Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7 4820K Processor (4x 3.70GHz/10MB L3 Cache)-Intel Core i7 4820K

Processor Cooling 1 x NZXT Kraken X40 Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 140mm Radiator-

Memory 1 x 16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module-Corsair or Major Brand **FREE Upgrade to Corsair Vengeance**

Video Card 1 x AMD Radeon HD 7990 - 6GB-

Motherboard 1 x ASRock X79 Extreme9 -- 5x PCI-E x16, 8x SATA 6Gb/s, 4x USB 3.0-

Power Supply 1 x 1000 Watt - NZXT HALE90V2 1000W - 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular-

Primary Hard Drive 1 x 64 GB ADATA SP900 SSD-Single Drive **FREE Upgrade to 120GB ADATA SSD - Single Drive Only**

Data Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s-Single Drive

Optical Drive 1 x [12x Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive-Black

Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard-

Network Card 1 x Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card-

Operating System 1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel)-64-Bit

Mouse 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse-

Headset 1 x Creative Labs Fatal1ty Gaming Headset-

Monitor 1 x 23" 1920x1080 Sceptre E243BV-FHD -- Full HD LED TV, 3 HDMI Ports, Built-in Speaker-

Wireless Network Adapter 1 x ASUS USB-N53 802.11a/b/g/n N300 Dual-Band Wireless USB Adapter-

Power Protection 1 x Surge Suppressor - APC Surge Arrest-

Advanced Build Options 1 x Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower-Advanced - Power Package (Individually Sleeved 24-pin ATX, 8-pin CPU, and SATA Drive Power Cabling)

Advanced Build Options 1 x Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower-Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis

Case Engraving Service 1 x Custom Message - Max 35 characters (including spaces)-

Warranty 1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty Service-

No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days

PRICE: $2385.00 (plus tax & shipping)

Thanks for looking into this for me! :)
    Deadline in monday midnight, because sale ends then.

Garthra
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Re: Buying New Computer- Requesting TG Input

You can probably save $500-$1000 by going with a self built or starting with a system based on socket 1150 instead of socket 2011 and sourcing some of the peripherals yourself. I would not go for that system if I was looking for a prebuilt.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Thanks for input Namebot!

So your opinion is I can save a significant amount of money by building it myself or asking a good friend to build it?

Also, what is a sprocket 1150 vs sprocket 2011? Sorry, I am not an expert in computer hardware, and have not heard of them.
      The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Socket 1155 and Socket 2011 are the current generation of chip sockets for Intel CPUs (these are what the chips "plug" into). I'd second building one yourself and going with LGA1155 because it's cheaper overall. I'd probably not get a 7990 either as it's a rather expensive card that you'll probably won't really benefit from playing on a single monitor. Instead I'd save yourself a few hundred by going down to a HD7950 instead.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have a 7950, the prices are coming down significantly... You could buy a 7970, but expect to pay around 300...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I concur with these guys. TONS of money to be saved by building yourself as opposed to this prebuilt. Without being specific, I agree with just about everything that's been said here. :)

Also, if you have any trouble building the computer yourself, or are afraid to due to the fact that you haven't before, I'm sure that a thread posted in this forum will get you PLENTY of help in any area you may be having trouble with. I'd wager that Acreo, Namebot, and I can put a PC together with our eyes closed... :)

Mom
            Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
            Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
            Forever Perplexed

Comment

Originally posted by Garthra View Post
              Thanks for input Namebot!

So your opinion is I can save a significant amount of money by building it myself or asking a good friend to build it?

Also, what is a sprocket 1150 vs sprocket 2011? Sorry, I am not an expert in computer hardware, and have not heard of them.
              You always save money when you build it yourself. If you shop smart and hit up retailers with limited offers or good deals it can be surprising.

LGA 1150 chips are good overall performers and are budget minded. LGA 2011 chips on the other hand provide excellent performance and are built to handle the most demanding setups.

One clear difference is LGA 1150 will run only one PCIe 3.0 GPUs at full speed (x16). A dual SLI setup will result in an x8/x8 and a triple SLI setup will result in a x8/x4/x4. This is due to it only having 24 native PCIe 3.0 lanes (z87 chipset), the other 8 lanes are for peripherals. However many motherboard manufacturers have opted to include PCIe switches on their enthusiast motherboards which increase the number lanes (non-native). This usually results in being able to run at least a dual SLI setup at x16/x16 or if maxing out to a quad SLI setup x8/x8/x8/x8 which is pretty impressive.

LGA 2011 is more expensive and with good reason, they are built to outperform. If you're main job is tied to computing like audio, design, engineering, programming, video or other mediums these will make it go faster. In terms of gaming these will out perform but if you're looking for good value LGA 1150 is where to look. As far as PCIe 3.0 goes for LGA 2011 it is built with 40 native lanes (x79 chipset). This makes a perfect match for those aiming for triple or quad SLI setups.
              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X