Which of these 3 GPUs for my CPU?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which of these 3 GPUs for my CPU?

I want to run BF4 at Ultra High and get a frame rate of 50 fps or more.

My system:

i7 930 core running at 4.2 Ghz
    ASUS Rampage III Extreme MoB PCI 2.0

$319.99 ASUS R9280X-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready

$379.90 ASUS MATRIX-R9280X-P-3GD5 Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP

$369.99 ASUS HD7970-DC2-3GD5 Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP

Any thoughts on these options?
    sigpic

Re: Which of these 3 GPUs for my CPU?

Those are all pretty much the same card. The main differentiation between the two 280x versions(which are the ones to go for out of the 3 you posted) are slight clock differences, number of of video outputs, and the large cooler.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Of the three, I'd choose the first one. Keep in mind drivers may not be totally stable as this is brand new series of cards.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah first one is cheapest and they are all pretty much identical.

I got that card, arrives today/tomorrow. For those wantig to see how she does in BF4 beta:

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/review...lefield-4.html

Plus with Mantle to come with a patch to BF4 in December it is expected to rise, so more than decent! :)

Comment

The Asus R9 is a simple rebranding of the existing 7970's with higher clock speeds. Save yourself the dinero and go with the less expensive model. (Which by the way is on my "must have" list as soon as I clear the cost of replacing the manifolds on my truck).
          Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

The only difference the 280X has is Mantle. In BF4 specifically this could be a big deal, for other games in the future it will hopefully prove to be relevant too. Better cooling, more overhead if I ever want to over clock too. Beautiful thing about either the 7970 or the 280x is the are compatible with each other if you want to Crossfire them. Seems a no brainer in the future!

7970 comes with the Gold AMD "Never Settle" bundle allowing you to get 3 free game.

The 280X WILL get that added to it "soon" according to AMD.

Comment

Well...my question...are the top end Nvidia cards just not competing with these or...curious to know as I've been thinking of something like a GTX770...I've never had an ATI card.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                Well...my question...are the top end Nvidia cards just not competing with these or...curious to know as I've been thinking of something like a GTX770...I've never had an ATI card.
                Never had ATI?....... I love my ATI cards
                "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post

Whiskey had linked to this article in the BF4 forum since the test was conducted on the forthcoming BF4 release, but it should give you a good sense on how the NVIDIA cards stack up against the AMD cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,3634-3.html

Comment

Thank you for the responses. Delaying GPU upgrade until Visa debt downgrade.
                    sigpic

Comment

From what I've read, AMD card prices are inflated due to demand not only from gamers, but by people bitcoin mining. I've also read there are newer, more efficient methods that should relieve some of that demand. I certainly hope so - I'd like to upgrade, but I can't stomach paying more than I would have just a few months ago.
                      |TG|Melee
                      Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

bit coin mining?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I'm on my phone, so I'm going to have to refer you to Google.
                          |TG|Melee
                          Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

I'm a EVGA fan boy. I admit it. That's the only brand I've owned since building my own pc's dating back to 2000 or so. Looking at EVGA Superclocked GTX660 for an upcoming upgrade. I read about it in a Tom's Hardware review of vid cards specifically for BF4. They said it's a nice sweet spot between price and value and at $240 I'd have to agree. I'm using a GTX470 now. I was thinking of going to the 700 series before I read the article. Opinions?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130835
                            sigpic
                            |TG-1st|Grunt
                            ARMA Admin (retired)
                            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
                              From what I've read, AMD card prices are inflated due to demand not only from gamers, but by people bitcoin mining. I've also read there are newer, more efficient methods that should relieve some of that demand. I certainly hope so - I'd like to upgrade, but I can't stomach paying more than I would have just a few months ago.
                              The demand from Bitcoin mining may be blown out of proportion. Supposedly according to some industry leaders (I believe Tom's Hardware made a mention of this) the whole "Bitcoin mining is making AMD run out of stock" is a marketing ploy to generate interest in Bitcoins as a whole.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X