2 ssds and one hdd. Good idea?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 ssds and one hdd. Good idea?

I was thinking of buying two ssds for my computer. One small ssd for OS and a larger one for games while leaving the much larger hdd for data like photos etc. My question is: is this a good idea? Or would I be better off just buying a larger ssd and partitioning it? My theory is that it would be faster and safer.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
    [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
    [support]

Re: 2 ssds and one hdd. Good idea?

Lots of people do that. I do. SSDs for the programs and HDDs for media and data storage.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I have that EXACT configuration.

80GB SSD for C:\ - Operating system ONLY
      120GB SSD for D:\ - Games and high IOPS applications
      1TB HDD for E:\ - Data, photos, video storage, low IOPS applications.

Faster - Yes, Safer - Yes.

Just don't do any silly FakeRAID stuff. If you can't support hot spares, with a proper XOR processor for the RAID, it's more dangerous than good.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Good to go, thank you very much for the replies! I am going to try this out this weekend!

[support]

Comment

Yes, I also have a similar setup:

240 GB SSD - OS and most non-game applications including development tools + Origin games
          256 GB SSD - All games since Steam supports multiple install locations for games in my library
          1.5 TB HDD - Files, Backups of software and games
          1.5 TB HDD - More files, backups of flash drives, media files from various cameras, camcorders, and big family vacations
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I guess a lot of people have that setup:

60 GB SSD - OS
            120GB SSD - programs
            120GB SSD - BF4, fifa and Arma
            500GB HDD(7200 rpm) - for non intensive programs
            1TB & 2TB HDDs(usb 3.0) - for movies, photos, series etc.

I'm sure you'll love it scratch!!

Comment

120GB SSD - OS and very few core apps
              120GB SSD - Games that require it
              2TB HDD - movies pictures and TV show
              1TB HDD - other apps and games that don't require SSD speeds.

Comment

Good idea: Make a checklist of everything you want to back up and check each item off after you are done.

I forgot to backup my photos, dang it! Good bye Marine week/family day, good bye MOS school, good bye 4+ years of my life in pictures and vids. At least I have the memories!

I am having trouble right now though with one of my drives not being recognized by windows. It doesn't show in windows but it does show in the BIOS, strange. Anybody have any ideas?

[support]

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchnSniff0 View Post
                  Good idea: Make a checklist of everything you want to back up and check each item off after you are done.

I forgot to backup my photos, dang it! Good bye Marine week/family day, good bye MOS school, good bye 4+ years of my life in pictures and vids. At least I have the memories!

I am having trouble right now though with one of my drives not being recognized by windows. It doesn't show in windows but it does show in the BIOS, strange. Anybody have any ideas?
                  Click the start button. In the search box, type in "disk management". Click on "create and format hard disk partitions". Look for your SSD. Right click it and select "change drive letter and paths..." then assign it a drive letter. If it isn't formatted, you can format it there as well.

Once you are able to see it, you should install any software that came with the drive. You should also turn off indexing and automatic defragmenting if they are on. They will wear out your SSD much faster than if they were off.

Comment

Thank you all, you guys were a great help!!! I haven't tried the computer on BF4 yet, it is still downloading....

BUT EVERYTHING ELSE IS SO MUCH FASTER NOW!

The system boots and runs everything so much faster. Even the internet, downloads and even Netflix seems to be faster!

I put my POWERDVD10 program on the bigger SSD, seek times are went from around 10 to 20 secs down to a second or less!
                    I also put OpenOffice on there and that opens everything immediately now!

I can't wait to try BF4 on this!

I really wish I did this a long time ago!

[support]

Comment

You may want to consider something like Carbonite that automatically backs up everything online.
                      |TG|Melee
                      Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

\I forgot to backup my photos, dang it! Good bye Marine week/family day, good bye MOS school, good bye 4+ years of my life in pictures and vids. At least I have the memories!\
                        You can also throw them all into a single folder and sync them to your Google Drive. That way you can download them (or send them off to Google Photos) later if your HDD ever crashes again.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I know, I know about those things....I just forgot to do the photos. Of all the things.

[support]

Comment

Multiple SSD's are fine. Just think about what they will be doing during their life cycle. If you need permanent storage I suggest investing in larger thumb drives. That is a good way to build digital collections that can be organized physically wherever you need them.

Also there is no need to use RAID with SSD's unless you plan on mirroring them which IMHO is a waste. If you need a backup just use an automatic backup system to throw your backups on a large hard disk drive and save some money.

My current setup:
                            SSD 256GB (OS, Critical/Work Apps)
                            HDD 3TB (Programs/Games)
                            HDD 4TB (Documents/Pictures/Music/Videos)
                            HDD 2TB (External backup)

Also I use a 50GB Dropbox for my memories along with about five thumb sticks ranging from 16GB to 64GB. Always make backups of your pictures and work on thumbstick it's a life saver and you don't waste bandwidth doing backups.
                            Last edited by DeF; 11-09-2013, 01:24 PM. Reason: Added info about backups.
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but I have MS Office, Photoshop, Lightroom, BF3, BF4, dev environments and a couple of other games installed and it all takes about 150GB of storage. Who would you need a 3TB HDD for Programs/Games?

One main 250GB SSD, a photo/music/video drive and a backup disk should be sufficient and much simpler. I added two portable drives that I make backups on to. One is always at home and another at work. Every month or so I swap the backup drives, so even if the house burns down I have my photos...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X