RAM upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM upgrade

When I built my PC a few years ago, the budget only allowed for 4GB (2x2), which was plenty at the time. Now I'm looking to double it. Corsair doesn't sell the exact same RAM any longer, so can another set with the same specs be paired with them? Or should I buy an 8GB set and leave the old ones unused?
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: RAM upgrade

Use whatever you want. The RAM will be automatically set into compatible settings with each other by your mainboard.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

If want the RAM to run duel channel its best to get 2 identical memory sticks of the same brand, type and size.

You might get away with mix memory but some board can be picky and either runs single channel or show up with unexpected results like showing less memory or lower speeds

I know Compaq and HP mother boards were a pain in the past for these little issues.

See if you can get a copy of the mother board manual (google model number manual) and also try to visit their website support page .

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

As long as the timings, voltage, speed, and density (size) are all the same, you should have no problems running the new sticks with your old ones in dual-channel mode. (We usually say "brand" to average users so we don't have to go in length in explaining timings and voltages can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.) The biggest worry is that the new sticks have a different timing and thus voltages than the old ones, in which case, they might not be recognized (especially if they require a higher voltage to run) or all the sticks would run in single-channel mode (thus negating any benefits of DDR type RAM).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have two different flavors of RAM going. I have 2x2GB of DDR2-800 and 2x2GB of DDR2-1066. My very basic motherboard just runs it at the lowest-common denominator, which is the -800. (FWIW, I'm actually running it at 210mhz instead of 200mhz, but it all works fine!)

Comment

I ordered a set of Corsair (danger brand) with matching specs so I should be good to go. We'll see when it arrives tomorrow.
            |TG|Melee

Comment

Ugh...didn't catch that spell check. "Same brand".
              |TG|Melee

Comment

I've added the new memory with matching specs and it is recognized and running at the same speed as before. However, I discovered before adding the RAM, that I've been running 1600 MHz at 1333 MHz all along. Any idea why that may be? I've never messed with timings, just built the PC and started using it.
                |TG|Melee

Comment

The speed is usually SPD read off of the EEPROM on board. Sometimes this can be a wonky and 1600 rated RAM might just default to 1333 (assuming the RAM is 1600 @ 1.5 v). It's not a problem, you can go into BIOS and set the speed at 1600 mhz yourself.

If the RAM is 1600 @ 1.6 v, then you'll need to up the voltage to 1.6 v and then set it to 1600 mhz effective.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I had those 2x4GB Corsair sticks in my machine. Then I bought an additional 2x8GB of G.Skill. This resulted in crashes. I took out the 2x4GB sticks and things worked. mem86 actually found problems with the Corsair/G.Skill combo. I would recommend running memory tests from a Flash-stick overnight for testing, e.g. from http://www.memtest.org/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X