Questions for first time PC Builder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for first time PC Builder

So, I have two (2) questions about a rig that i am getting ready to purchase. The first question is, does everything look top tier (for the most part) and will it be able to play most games on Ultra (or High)? And secondly, if down the road I am needing some extra GPU power, will this rig allow me to SLI? Thanks for reading and below you can find my rig specs:

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Case
    i7-4770K
    ASUS Z87-Plus Motherboard (i7 and Z87 are bundled together)
    EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX
    16GB RAM
    2TB 7200rpm
    850w Power
    Windows 8.1
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Aftermarket CPU Cooler

If anyone has further questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Re: Questions for first time PC Builder

Wow - that system's going to absolutely scream. Congrats!

Comment

To get the best out of it I would strongly recommend an SSD for your OS and main games. Otherwise looks great!

Comment

The board supports SLI and Crossfire.

Second the solid state drive suggestion.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
          To get the best out of it I would strongly recommend an SSD for your OS and main games. Otherwise looks great!
          Thank you for the reminder, I should have put that in my original post but yes I am going to get a SSD, specifically a Samsung 840 Pro or EVO. I am just going to hold off on it since it is not absolutely necessary right off the bat. Thanks everyone for the feedback!!

Comment

I'd push for a 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO now rather than wait. You'd benefit immediately and you'll never want to go back to a HDD for apps. Get the 840 Pro if MLC is a big consideration and if money isn't too tight. Otherwise, the 840 EVO should last you many years (probably long past when you'll pass on the system to someone else).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Get the SSD right away for two reasons:

1 you won't have to install twice

2 nothing else will make your system feel as fast

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                I'd push for a 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO now rather than wait. You'd benefit immediately and you'll never want to go back to a HDD for apps. Get the 840 Pro if MLC is a big consideration and if money isn't too tight. Otherwise, the 840 EVO should last you many years (probably long past when you'll pass on the system to someone else).
                The only issue I have with buying it right away is that this rig is already $2400 and I don't want to go over that right away. With the EVO ($175 on Amazon) That would bring the rig price to about $2575, but after hearing everyones opinion, it just may be something I purchase along with rest of the rig!

Comment

Not sure what resolution you're running at, but I'd get the SSD and a 770. You're paying a LOT more money for that 780, but don't get much performance per dollar out of the upgrade (Unless you're running at really high resolution)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-8.html

Comment

This is a good point, but I am happy that the GTX 780 went down from $659 to $510. That is pretty significant. I will definitely be taking a hard look at the EVO as well as the 770 option. As for resolution, just the usual 1920 by 1080p. I am looking at the BenQ XL2420TE due to its no flicker and 144hz. Any suggestions on higher res monitors than this in the price range of $320?

Comment

Brandon,

I'm no expert (first time build under my belt just recently) but I've got the 770 with the SSD and similar "other" specs to your rig and I can run it in ArmA3 and BF4 in ultra / Very High with no issues.

I second the others with the SSD (huge - HUGE difference in the play speed) and the 770 handles even BF4 with ease.

One other "off topic" thought - with the 932 HAF (I also have) I went with the Corsair 100i Liquid cooler - case noise is nearly nill and the radiator fits nicely in the top slot (pull a 230 case fan).

JMHO

Looking forward to seeing you on the field of play,

MadSoloSniper

Comment

SSD for sure - a HDD would just slow that thing down!

Comment

Hmm, I'd also opt for the GTX 770 over the GTX 780. You're paying a premium for a mere few percentage points in increased framerates.

Hell, I'd even look at the new Radeon R9 280X, 290, and 290X. Comparably, the R9 280X is roughly neck-to-neck with a GTX 770, the R9 290 should be a bit more powerful than the GTX 780, and the R9 290X blows away the GTX 780 and the GTX TITAN (gets darn close to a GTX 690 and sometimes even a GTX 770 SLI).

$300 - 3GB Sapphire R9 280X: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202046
                          $400 - 4GB Sapphire R9 290: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202043
                          $550 - 4GB Gigabyte R9 290X: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125478

Personally, I'd get the $300 R9 280X. Best value-for-performance. Good price point, good comparable performance. As for the 290s and 290Xs, I'd probably wait until manufacturers put out ones with custom coolers. The stock reference designs hold the card back from some even greater performance. (Anandtech's review suggested the stock reference cooler caps performance at roughly 70% of its full potential.)
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X