Windows 8 on a gaming PC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 on a gaming PC?

Is anyone running Windows 8? What's the experience been for you?

I'm upgrading CPU/mobo soon which means it's time to wipe and reinstall windows. I have the option of going Win7 or Win8 and am looking for feedback - which direction should I go? How's Win8 on a non-touch screen PC?

Re: Windows 8 on a gaming PC?

I'm constantly getting crap from people, but I love win8 on my machine.

Its brutally fast and error free for the most part.

I have never had issues with drivers or software compatibility.

Its been almost a a year now and I still get lost from the to time looking for stuff, but that has more to do with my extracurricular habits than the design of the UI.

I say try it W6.
    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Is there a 'conventional' windows interface available? My wife and kids use the machine as much as me... the 5, 7, and 10yr olds will have it mastered in an afternoon, but... I can already imagine the annoyed 'how do I' texts from my room-mate ;)

Comment

I have been using a program called StartIsBack since I upgraded to 8 and absolutely love it. I simply never see the new interface unless I want to, and that never happens. It costs a few bucks but is well worth it if you don't want to mess with the new UI.

Comment

[MENTION=7293]WhiskeySix[/MENTION]

The interface is just windows with a extra screen for me.

I have my most used launchers on the task bar or as icons so it functions much like every other windows in that regard.

The old start bar is gone, but the new interface has everything you want there just an extra click away.

I'd say try it for a week or so and then if its still too confusing try the start bar add on.
          Good luck
          doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

With Win 8.1, there's M/S-supported ways to skip the login and tile-crap screens and load directly to what they call "desktop," which you'll find fairly familiar. If you then put shortcuts for a few items (like MyComputer and ControlPanel, etc) in that taskbar or desktop, you won't get too lost and it works fine, even for my boss. (I name important files and network shares after colors so he can remember them, just as a point of reference.) There are definite weirdnesses about it, but I think it's a good OS regardless.

I do think the performance of 8.1 is pretty good, too. Other peeps can probably say more, but I think the memory management is supposed to be MUCH improved over 7 and even over 8. (I think most everyone knows, but there's a free MS update from 8 to 8.1 available on their site.) You'll need a 16G USB drive to build the 'recovery drive' if you do the standard WinImaging backups, but that's been my biggest hiccup so far.

And I should clarify that I haven't run it on a gaming machine at all yet, so I'm not sure why I'm yapping. ;)
            OPS, the bacon is on you.

Comment

I've fully adopted Windows 8 since release. I use it on my main home gaming rig, my laptop, my first LAN rig, and my development rig. I would highly recommend Win8 for future gaming builds. If the Start Metro menu isn't to your taste, there are Start Menu apps that bring back a functional and customizable start menu along with the ability to boot straight to desktop and disable Win8 hot corners. [MENTION=39774]K1E5ER[/MENTION] already mentioned StartIsBack. Other alternatives include: ClassicShell and Start8. All three are or have been employed on my machines at one point or another.

Boot and shut down times are significantly improved over Windows 7, there's better multi-monitor support, better file transfer interface, and DirectX 11.1.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I use Win 8 too and while the new apps seem forced on, I can still use it fine. You'll probably never use the apps and getting used to the new start button doesn't take that long.

Comment

don't use the skype app, just use the desktop version, as skype audio shuts down when you go to a new screen... you cannot use it while gaming.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by khaerus View Post
                    With Win 8.1, there's M/S-supported ways to skip the login and tile-crap screens and load directly to what they call "desktop," which you'll find fairly familiar. If you then put shortcuts for a few items (like MyComputer and ControlPanel, etc) in that taskbar or desktop, you won't get too lost and it works fine, even for my boss.
                    You can right click in the lower left corner to bring up a menu like start had.
                    Proud to have been an Irregular!

2142: Medic4Hire - BF4/Origin: MedicNL

Comment

To put a bow on this thread:

1) Install was a breeze, I set it to boot to desktop (instead of start menu), and, aside from a few questions on Day-1 about 'how do we shutdown' etc, Windows8 has been smooth sailing. Kids like the tablet-style free apps in the windows store, all games are running fine, and boss is happy :)

2) It turns out BF4 runs better in Win8.1 than it does in Win7. Nice.

Comment

to shutdown, press windows c and click settings and then power

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                          To put a bow on this thread:

1) Install was a breeze, I set it to boot to desktop (instead of start menu), and, aside from a few questions on Day-1 about 'how do we shutdown' etc, Windows8 has been smooth sailing. Kids like the tablet-style free apps in the windows store, all games are running fine, and boss is happy :)

2) It turns out BF4 runs better in Win8.1 than it does in Win7. Nice.

Absolutely, the performance in Win8/8.1 is fantastic compared to 7. Win8 even handles Shadowplay better too.

Comment

oh wow, so that's a pretty sweet dialog! No more stupid little document fluttering through the air!!!

Comment

Yeah I have W8.1 on my new build since last month and I love it. I mean, I miss the "proper" start button but not enough to get a 3rd party one. Super fast and boots in ridiculous speeds. I use desktop mode 100% of the time.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X