Winamp Dies Today!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winamp Dies Today!

I have been using Winamp for almost 15 years. Today it is being pulled off the market :-(

What would you recommend for my desktop streaming music needs? (Please, not iTunes or any Apple product).

I want zero commercials, a wide choice of stations from all over the world, and I want it for free.

Just like Winamp.
    sigpic

Re: Winamp Dies Today!

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I do have an aftermarket Pandora client that not only has no ads, but also allows unlimited skips. Of course that's not exactly streaming radio, but it's pretty close once you suggest a song and then clue it in, fine tuning the songs it plays with thumbs up or down.

If someone does suggest something that is more exact to what you are looking for, I would probably be interested as well, TBH.

Admittedly I am unaware, but isn't WinAmp just the player? Shouldn't it continue to play streams / stations (provided you could locate some)? Or were they providing the content as well? If the former were the case, I would say just continue to use it and you just won't be getting any more updates.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

jango is close to it...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Foobar2000 - http://www.foobar2000.org/

I use it to play all my audio like I did for Winamp years ago, including online streaming radio like http://www.epicrockradio.com/ .
        Viking

Comment

I use spotify premium. 5 bucks a month and no ads. Been happy using it for a month now.
          Skud

Comment

I have MusicBee.

Comment

Spotify, Pandora, Google Play Music, and Jango are probably the major and more popular ones today.

I'll be honest, I won't miss Winamp. Haven't used it in ages. Then again, I listen to online radio/music through my browser, use YouTube heavily, and eventually buy CDs or high-quality MP3s/FLACs of albums and songs I want.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have been using spotify for quite a while now. Love it. You dont have to get premium, but that has a commercial here or there and you can't make playlists. But its very cheap for premium like 9 bucks or something like that. You can search any song, artist, album, etc. Make specific playlist and enjoy it all commercial free.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Another recommendation for Spotify from me. Bearing in mind that if you don't need the premium features, (essentially just the mobile app and offline streaming iirc?) you can just buy unlimited for $5. This removes all advertisements and gives you unlimited streaming for a hilariously good price. The Spotify client also has support for a large range of apps including radio like streaming and real time lyrics display. I can understand the want to replace winamp for free, but in all honesty with the <$9/month price tag you really can't go wrong.

Comment

I hated paying for music when I could get it for free. But then my mate convinced me to try Spotify for free - its worth that if you want. I used it for a while and really liked it then decided to try the premium version for a month for free. Loved having it on my phone and tablet so much that I never cancelled it. It allows me to add any and all songs I actually own as well as having most music I could possibly want anywhere. Can listen offline, no adverts. Best of all it made me go "legit" as before I would torrent my stuff. That is actually too much work now, when Spotify makes it so easy and cheap to be legal.

I used to use Winamp but stopped about 2 years ago and used Media Monkey for a while. Spotify made those all redundant. I install it on all my PC's, Laptops, phones and tablets and I have EVERYTHING already where I need it. Try it for free and decide mate.

Comment

Spotify is great and all but 1. you cant export the music and 2. it dsnt have everything in its library. So you would have to go elsewhere anyways, like I do a lot. But if you are not a musical junkie than spotify should be sufficient.

Comment

Here is another vote for Spotify. I like the radio feature being able to listen to new songs all day, makes it a ton easier to find bands or individuals I actually like.

I use Winamp but mostly for music lookup and some general tasks like tag editing. I really hope AoL will let Winamp go open source where the project can thrive.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
                          Spotify is great and all but 1. you cant export the music and 2. it dsnt have everything in its library. So you would have to go elsewhere anyways, like I do a lot. But if you are not a musical junkie than spotify should be sufficient.
                          Both very good points! The first one I think is more indicative of the digital market in general, in the fact that across many media types you now no longer 'own' the product but merely a license to use it. I suppose it's another instance of convenience vs control and would be a whole can of worms to start discussing. It also might be worth noting that it is possible to import your own music into the spotify client, so you can use it as a central hub for all your music. Although that clearly doesn't help with actually sourcing the more niche content!

Originally posted by DeF View Post
                          I like the radio feature being able to listen to new songs all day, makes it a ton easier to find bands or individuals I actually like.
                          Agreed, its a really handy feature and great for getting some more variety in your musical tastes! You should check out the sounddrop app if you haven't already, as it expands quite nicely upon the radio feature. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X