Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new work laptop

Hello all,
    my son has expidited my need for a new work laptop. He decided it was a target and managed to throw my wifes phone and hit the screen dead centre (I'm still impressed with his aim), screen is now cracked in a cool spider web. While it is workable for now I can't see using it once tax season hits and I'm working 12hr days again.

I would be replacing a HP Pavillion dv7 series 17"screen. I have been pretty happy with this product, current laptop does have a problm with overheating as well so that is also a replacement factor. I like some of the ASUS products and just got a K55 for wifes office.

I would like to go back to a 17" screen again as that makes a difference when working with spreadsheets and having programs side by side. Other specs that would be nice are i5 series, 6-8GB Ram, ideally an ssd but I'm willing to pick up one and install it myself(probably cheaper).

Obviosly I'm hoping for some feedback for the sales this coming weekend. I've got my eyes on a couple and once the prices are updaed I'll add them to this thread for feedback.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts everyone!
    sigpic

Re: Need a new work laptop

I have my laptop provided by my work, currently I am using an X1 Carbon from Lenovo. Love it except for the battery life. Our lenovo's that we hand out to faculty and staff seem to take a beating and keep on ticking. Current model they use is the T430. You can also add a 9 cell battery to add up to 12 hours of battery time. So for what its worth, I really am impressed with the Lenovo line.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Thanks Jack. Lenovo is one that I'm keeping an eye on. I've liked their stuff in the past.
      sigpic

Comment

What kind of budget are you on?

Also, how old is your son? I mean, how hard of a throw does it take to do that and did the phone survive?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Budget wise I am trying to keep it under $1000.00 but since it will be a write off I can go higher (shouldn't need to though I hope)

As for son, hes 17months now, He was probably 14months when he broke it, phone was a Blackberry thing has gone thru alot.
          sigpic

Comment

so her are 2 that i'm looking at

ASUS X750JB Intel I7-4500 8GB 750GB HDD DVD-RW 17.3in HD+ GT740M 2GB Win 8 64Bit Notebook
            http://ncix.com/products/?sku=91708&...S&promoid=1029

Lenovo Z710 Core I5-4200M 6GB 1TB 17.3in FHD NVIDIA GT745M 2GB DVDRW Windows 8 Black Notebook
            http://ncix.com/products/?sku=91411&...r&promoid=1029
            sigpic

Comment

17 months... man, oh man, thought about base ball?

Have you thought about going to places like XoticPC.com and custom building laptops made by asus, lenovo, msi, and similar brands? I built my ASUS through them and they just built a friend's Lenovo there too.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I hadn't thought about custom builds. I'll take a look at that website and see. Thanks for the idea.

Sports is definitely in his future, he can lift 15lbs weights already with ease. For some reason he likes moving ng heavy stuff around. Freaks my wife out.
                sigpic

Comment

I got a nice acer laptop for $550 (i5, 500 gig hd, 4 gig ram, dedicated graphic card nvidia 630m, 15 inch screen)on amazon 2 years ago. The laptop is discontinued but Acer has revealed a new line of Acer V3 which I would like into, they have products ranging from 400 to 1000$.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
                  ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...