Issues with Extra Monitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with Extra Monitors

Hey it's Vitamin's wife again. I was hoping you guys could help me with a tech problem I am having. It started off as when I was watching Netflix online and opened up a game (I use my TV as a second monitor for watching shows), the game would shift in the tv monitor the the right. Now, this was a fair amount of a shift to show a black screen larger than my hand. (I have a 36" tv).

Now what is happened is the blue screen came on today and I had to restart my computer several times. But before this my monitor even when it is shows the desktop, has a black, bold line about the size of my hand on it permanently. Screen resolution is right where it should be.

Sorry if this does not make a lot of sense; not feeling well today.

Thanks for your help!
    sigpic

*From this day on, I own my father's gun.*
    R.I.P Daddy. Nine years. I miss you terribly. 12/07/2004.

Re: Issues with Extra Monitors

told her it might be the game resolutions that might be messing with it, my games do the same thing. i set the resolution of the game back to my standard res (1900x1080) and my 2nd monitor goes back to its original res..

Comment

Is that it?
      sigpic

Comment

I play on a 42 inch TV alone, first of all, and I've found that it's not very game friendly. But, I'm not sure if the same is true for a smaller TV.

This sounds like a video card issue to me. Are you using onboard video or a video card built into your laptop (assuming you're talking about the laptop you referred to in your introductory post in the General Forums)?

I actually have to create my own resolutions in my video card to be able to play games on the TV. I'd say about... 60% of the standard resolutions on the computer aren't compatible with the TV. And, the resolutions that I created is strange and doesn't exist in most games, so I find myself having to change it within the config file of the game. It sucks. I can't update my video card without restarting in low resolution mode and changing the resolution back to the odd resolution. I can't optimize games automatically because they set resolutions that won't work.

That said, I don't know for sure, but it's also been my experience that HD Video seems to be running at a resolution higher than HD video gaming does. What that means, if I'm assuming correctly, is that the output resolution of Netflix at HD is much higher than the output resolution of a video game at HD. Again, just speculation.

I'm not sure if this is your problem or not, but if it were me having this issue, I'd start looking for how to set custom resolutions on my video card for individual monitors (even if it's an onboard card, you can likely set some sort of resolution for each monitor).

Mom
        Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
        Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
        Forever Perplexed

Comment

Hunnie help. I don't know how to fix this with the info he gave me. And thank you for helping. You are now on my good side. :)
          sigpic

Comment

umm no

Comment

Bite me.
              sigpic

Comment

Assuming the TV is 1080p and your game resolution settings is also the same...

If you are connected via HDMI, check the display scaling in your nVidia or AMD/ATI graphics control panel. You might need to adjust h-span to bring it back over. Maybe even reduce scaling down to 1080i if the edges overflow the TV's display.

As for the black band while switching to a game to play on your TV, it's a resolution incompatiblity. It usually means the display just hung up because of a differing resolution (some TVs might just go black screen) - which seems to have followed by a system crash as a result. Make sure the game resolution is set to something your TV can display (usually that is either 1920 x 1080 or below or 1280 x 720 or below depending on which "HD" TV you have; "HD" is usually 720p (1280 x 720) and "Full HD" is 1080p (1920 x 1080).).
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

But, I don't have graphics card. And it's all the time, not just playing a game anymore.
                  sigpic

Comment

Try to unplug the monitor with the black line and plug it in again. Do the same with different connectors on the computer - check with monitor and TV plugged in separately and switch connectors. Play around a bit. This can confirm if this is a problem with the monitor, the cable or the graphics on the PC.

Borrow another monitor and see if it has the same problem. If yes, the problem is in the cable or PC. If no, the problem is with the monitor.

Experiment.

Comment

But it's not a monitor, per se. It's a television set. :/
                      sigpic

Comment

You do have a graphics card whether it is dedicated (a separate card) or integrated into your motherboard. Otherwise you wouldn't get any pictures and video on your screen.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would guess it is integrated with my motherboard... I am on a business laptop.
                          sigpic

Comment

the game only allows 1 resolution, it doesn't even allow her to go to a windowed mode or borderless mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitamin187 View Post
                              the game only allows 1 resolution, it doesn't even allow her to go to a windowed mode or borderless mode.
                              Then unfortunately, I hate to say she will NOT be gaming with the TV plugged in. She'd have to unplug the TV just to play the game since that game does not support the TV's resolution. This is also assuming the game does not have multi-monitor support (which is what it is starting to sound like).
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X