PC Spec List

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Spec List

Can anyone post a list of the preferable specs for a high end gaming PC? Dont go crazy into the $5000 range. The cheaper the better but not where the Hard drive is a potato chip.

Re: PC Spec List

Originally posted by SilverStealth89
    but not where the Hard drive is a potato chip.
    omg lol i just realized that is one lame joke. srry guys

Comment

amd A64 3000+ or better socket 939 -or- P4 emt64 3.2 or better LGA 775 (AMD is a better cost/performance ratio though)
      1 gig pc3200 or more (2 gig if you can afford 1gigx2)
      radeon x800 or geforce 6800 or better video. go for 256 ram minimum (and look for a mobo and video w/ PCI-x16 -- preferrably SLI)
      SATA-80gig 7200rpm 8 meg cache min (2 in a raid 0 is better)

everything else is fluff.......

looking at 1000ish for this.... and assuming you can reuse your case, ps, cdrom, key/mouse/speak
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

-NF4 Ultra board - Don't waste your money on SLI boards
        -AMD A64-3500 -You could go with an San Diego or Venice core A64 and overclock it and have no problems
        -36Gb WD Raptor as master HDD then a big cheap drive for storage
        -GF78000GTX or if you wanna be cheap the 7800GT
        -2Gb DDR400 or better, be careful, just check our the CL and Timing...some cheap ram is really good, we've had great luck with SuperTalent, cheap and overclocks well
        -Heatsink & Fan - if you plan on overclocking this is a must.
        -Antec Neo 2.0 Power supply's are awesome, they are pre-sleeved and come complete with PCIE supply and 24Pin ATX 2.0 for the new boards.
        [TG]Slim

A member of the old school Scene,
        ACiD, iCE, CiA, UNiON, DOD, PWA, RiSC, Razor1911,gH, l0ft....When Elite wasn't a 13 year old script kiddie

Athlon64 4200 Dual Core
        Gigabyte K8N Ultra
        74Gb WD Raptor
        Leadtek 7800GTX
        2GB OCZ EL Matched DDR 533
        Zalman 7700Cu

Comment

Originally posted by [TG]Slim
          -AMD A64-3500 -You could go with an San Diego or Venice core A64 and overclock it and have no problems
          -2Gb DDR400 or better, be careful, just check our the CL and Timing...some cheap ram is really good, we've had great luck with SuperTalent, cheap and overclocks well
          -Antec Neo 2.0 Power supply's are awesome, they are pre-sleeved and come complete with PCIE supply and 24Pin ATX 2.0 for the new boards.
          thanks slim appreciate

Comment

I second most of that exept for the raptor and the vid card (a 6800gt or Ultra will probably be fine unless you really wanna push everything up). For the heatsink i reccomend a thermalright XP-90 ( not the copper one, waste of money imo)

---

Comment

these guys have pretty much got it down.

an S939 board (w/ PCIe) and an athlon 3000+ or higher is a solid start to an affordable machine. if you buy an A64 retail, the cooler included is more than suitable. I'm running my 1.8Ghz 3000+ at a little over 2Ghz at about 40*C. 2.2Ghz or even a little higher is more than acceptable with stock cooling.

for video, a 6600GT would be the entry level, at $150 or so. past there, you've got the 6800 and 7800 series, as well as ati's offerings.

at least a gig of memory is a must, CL2.5 or lower preferred. you don't have to buy the super-expensive RAM, i'm running perfectly fine on newegg's rosewill econobrand...2x512 pc3200 at CL2.5. it was about $40 a stick when i bought it. not the fastest stuff, but it suffices.

i have no faith in WD hard drives. maxtor, either, for that matter. i'd highly recommend a seagate drive. definately go SATA.
              [TG]epheneh

Comment

Originally posted by Steel_Penguin
                I second most of that exept for the raptor and the vid card (a 6800gt or Ultra will probably be fine unless you really wanna push everything up). For the heatsink i reccomend a thermalright XP-90 ( not the copper one, waste of money imo)
                I have a had a Thermalright XP90 and a 120 , The 120 works on very few boards cause of the size, combine that with a Panasonic Panaflow fan and its a nice quiet combo and moves lots of air. BUT the Zalman cools much better I average 3 degrees cooler at idle and about 8 under stress, and the price is pretty much the same. As for the raptor its overkill but if you can spare the cash its a makes quite a difference....as far as video a 6800 would be fine, but the AA on the 7800 is incredible.
                [TG]Slim

ACiD, iCE, CiA, UNiON, DOD, PWA, RiSC, Razor1911,gH, l0ft....When Elite wasn't a 13 year old script kiddie

Athlon64 4200 Dual Core
                Gigabyte K8N Ultra
                74Gb WD Raptor
                Leadtek 7800GTX
                Zalman 7700Cu

Comment

Originally posted by burble
                  these guys have pretty much got it down.

i have no faith in WD hard drives. maxtor, either, for that matter. i'd highly recommend a seagate drive. definately go SATA.
                  We only use WD in our office...we see more Maxtor drives bad then any...Today alone I replaced 3 of them....despite that I believe samsung are the worst...we see a few seagates but even fewer wd's...although if I was going scsi i would go Seagate.
                  [TG]Slim

Athlon64 4200 Dual Core
                  Gigabyte K8N Ultra
                  74Gb WD Raptor
                  Leadtek 7800GTX
                  Zalman 7700Cu

Comment

We only use WD in our office....
                    That's I use as well...atleast for my system drive. I run AMD64 3000 CPU OC'd to 2.2Ghz, 2 WD Raptor HD's in a raid 0 set up, 1 Gig Ram and Nvidia 6800 GT OC vid card which is the bomb and I laugh at people complaining about lagggggg because I rarely "notice" any.

BF2 video settings should be determined by how many Frames Per Second (FPS) you want get. I can run mostly high settings and get around 40 FPS which is decent but I prefer getting around 70-90 FPS so I turned my BF2 Vid settings down to all medium with textures on High and I almost always get around 70 on nice servers like TG's ;)
                    Warcriminal
                    chillin n' killin wit authoritaaaaa!!

Comment

What is the power requirement for all this hardware? I'm thinking a 500W PS to handle all these components.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                        What is the power requirement for all this hardware? I'm thinking a 500W PS to handle all these components.
                        You could go with 500W, I went with a generic 430W powersupply and haven't had any problems.
                        Warcriminal
                        chillin n' killin wit authoritaaaaa!!

Comment

ok im srry. but im not sure if i took the right stuff can yo guys please check. im buying for tigerdirect
                          Last edited by SilverStealth89; 09-01-2005, 03:29 PM.

Comment

http://www.tigerdirect.com/cgi-bin/S...gCart.asp?msg=

D452-2030 :: DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D nVidia Socket 939 ATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID (4 lbs)
                            In Stock $134.99 $134.99

CP1-A64-3500 E :: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ / 512KB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Venice Core / Processor with Fan (1 lbs)
                            In Stock $239.99 $239.99

ULT31562 :: Ultra / X-Connect / 500-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / Titanium-Color / UV Clear Sides / Modular Power Supply (3 lbs)
                            In Stock $79.99 $79.99

P450-7800 :: XFX GeForce 7800 GTX / 256MB DDR3 / PCI Express / SLI / Dual DVI / VIVO / Video Card (1 lbs)
                            In Stock $499.99 $499.99

THD-3000JB :: Western Digital / Caviar SE / 300GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 / OEM / Hard Drive (2 lbs)
                            In Stock $169.99 $169.99

P610-1774 :: Planar PL1700-BK / 17-Inch / 1280 x 1024 / Black / Thin Frame LCD Monitor (18 lbs)
                            In Stock $239.99 $239.99

C44-5102 :: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer PCI Sound Card (2 lbs)
                            In Stock $109.99 $109.99

R301-1014 BL :: RealWorld Technology Sicuro RW-360XL Blue Techno Lighting 360° “Surround Sound” Gaming Speakers (14 lbs)
                            In Stock $69.99 $69.99

N27-1878 :: NEC ND3540A / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 16x6x16x DVD-RW / 8x DVD+R DL / 4x DVD-R DL / 48x32x48x CD-RW / Black / Dual Layer / OEM DVD Burner with Nero Software (4 lbs)
                            In Stock $43.99 $43.99

O261-4952 :: OCZ Premier Series 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory with Heat Spreader (0.5 lbs)
                            In Stock $56.99 (x4)$227.96

P456-6506 :: Powmax Black MATX Mini-Tower Acrylic Case with Fron USB and Audio Ports (12 lbs)
                            In Stock $54.99 $54.99

A457-1100 :: AOpen Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo (Black) (2.5 lbs)
                            Available While Supplies Last $49.99 $49.99

L48-2254 :: Linksys / WMP11 / 11Mbps / 802.11b / PCI / Wireless Adapter (1 lbs)
                            In Stock $44.99 $44.99

Comment

please let me know guys if the list is good, this is a full computer, and you have any changes please go to tigerdirect.com and post the exact item you would like to change

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X