Looking to get a better gaming system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get a better gaming system

So I've been looking around for a new rig, either it be a laptop, or a desktop haven't decided which just yet. May go with a laptop since i would be able to bring it to my classes at school and bring it back home, and whenever i go on vacation (like going to my mother-in-law's place) i can still game. Or, I may just stick with a desktop, but don't think i will. I was looking at a couple companies for my laptop.

Digital Storm
    Ibuypower

Digital Storm Carbine Gaming Laptop -

Model:
    Digital Storm Carbine 17.3 Inch Laptop (Model: M:1763)

Processor:
    Intel Core i7 4700MQ (Up to 3.40Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache)

RAM:
    16GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x8GB Sticks)

Storage Drive 1: Windows, and BF4 will be installed here -
    240GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Neutron GTX Series) (SATA 6Gbps)

Storage Drive 2:
    750GB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)

Optical Drive:
    DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)

Graphic Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M 3GB with NVIDIA Optimus

Windows 7 Ultamate Edition (64-bit)

Price: $2,101.00

Valkyrie CZ-27 Gaming Laptop -

Processor:
    Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Mobile Processor (4x 2.4GHz/6MB L3 Cache)

RAM:
    16GB [8GB x 2] 1600MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM Laptop Memory

Graphics Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 Video w/ NVIDIA Optimus [CZ-27]

Hard Drive 1:
    240 GB Corsair Force GS SSD -- Read: 555MB/s ; Write: 525MB/s

Hard Drive 2:
    1 TB 7200rpm Super Slim Laptop Hard DriveSingle Drive

Optical Drive:
    8x Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + 16x CD-R/RW Combo Drive [CZ-27]

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Price: $2,188.00

Stuff I already have at home:

Mouse & Mousepad:
    Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse
    PureTrak Talent Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad 19" x 14" x 1/4th" (483mm x 356mm)

Keyboard:
    Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard

Headphones:
    Plantronics GameCom 780 Surround Sound Stereo PC Gaming Headset.

Monitor:
    Dell E2009W 20" LCD Monitor (1920x1080)

Not going with Alienware, since they are Expensive for very little of what they give you in a computer. Cyberpower is on my crap list because I used to own a laptop and I've had SOOO many problems with it (laptop I had stopped working, didn't matter what I did, I replaced the hard drive, 2 weeks later same issue happened). Falcon NW only has 2 options avail for computers, and you cannot downgrade their laptops, not sure if I'm looking in the wrong area, but 1 laptop was $3,500, and the cheaper laptop was $2,600. So just seeing what everyone's takes are these 2 computers.

Re: Looking to get a better gaming system

I suggest you really assess how much you would actually play demanding games at places other than your desk. If you are sure you want a gaming laptop I'm sure we can help you pick one out, but it seems to me that 80% of the people that get one later realize they could have saved money or gotten a better system by buying a desktop instead.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I'd agree with Namebot. For the money your talking g about you could get a decent desktop gaming rig and a laptop. Personally I wouldn't want to be trucking a gaming laptop around to school, they are heavy and dont have a great battery life. But you know your needs best.
      sigpic

Comment

I would like to also make a similar plug for a desktop over a laptop.

Another thing people don't think about is when they lug laptops around most often they connect to WiFi. That's fine for web browsing, downloads and such. But gaming really requires low latency connections, not just high speed connections. Playing games over WiFi, often shared with many people in public or semi-public places, is often challenging and/or frustrating.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Buying a gaming laptop is like buying a $2000 Apple Macbook Pro for your parents who only watch YouTube and surf the web. They are overpriced for what you get out of them and you are much better off building a desktop and buying a cheap laptop for on-the-go work (like taking it to class for notetaking). In the end, you'd still save a boat load of money compared to these $2000+ gaming laptops.

Not to mention these things are usually 10+ pounds, put out some very hot air, and if something breaks, you are out a machine for 2 weeks or more.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I agree with the others. But in a further explanation of Damonte's post, if you have a wire connecting directly to your Router, then it may be worth it. If you feel as if you really need to spend the extra cash on a system which may not be able to be upgraded later. I have always been up to building our own PC, there are great guys in the TG community who can assist you in finding a good rig which will last a long while and be able to be upgraded.
            Questions about those who deserve it!
            "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

We once helped a member assemble their computer over Teamspeak.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

I have had one of those giant 10 pound Asus gaming laptops(i7,8gb,560m) for 2 years now. The machine is solid and never had any mechanical issues. I got it when BF3 came out and it ran the game pretty well on medium settings but it was nothing to write home about. 2 years on though, the 560m in it really struggles with anything new I try to put on it. For older games and HD movies, it's great though. It weighs a ton, has laughable battery life and you can use it as a space heater in the winter. It was also hard finding a carry case for it, as it is super thick.

After a while, due to the disappointing performance with newer titles, I ended up bringing my desktop game rig for extended stays away from home. The gaming laptop was relegated to second screen duty or watching movies. Stuff that could be handled by a much less expensive lappy.

This summer, I built myself a sweet little mITX box to take on trips and it's a much better bang for the buck, imho. I7, 8gb ram, nVidia 770. A year and a half out, it cost less to build then the big laptop did to buy. Sure, I have to lug a monitor around but the new ones are super lightweight and often there's a TV on site I can use instead. I'm much happier with this setup knowing I can easily swap out vid cards or components if there's an issue or I just want to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Damonte View Post
                  We once helped a member assemble their computer over Teamspeak.
                  Next time this happens, let's get it on camera, it is kinda funny when you say a word that sounds very advanced, and seeing that person's reaction.
                  Questions about those who deserve it!
                  "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

Gaming laptops are all about the graphics card and the cooling.

Get the best gfx card you can from the start. CPU's can be upgraded down the road if needed, but these days cpu's from last gens are still keeping up with the new gen ones(just lower power consumption).

A good forum to start reading up from on laptops is this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X