Best Way to Secure Harddrive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Way to Secure Harddrive

I am looking for a tool that will secure my data on my harddrive, certain financial files, my Thunderbird mailbox, and any log on details residing in my Firefox browser.

I want to be able to secure this data in the event that someone breaks in to my house and steal my CPU.

Running Vista 7 Home Premium.

I need something that is not too intrusive and will not massively slow down harddrive read/write.

Suggestions?
    sigpic

Re: Best Way to Secure Harddrive

Trucrypt. I use it on my laptop.

I could go into it, but you should probably do your own research into it in order to satisfy your concerns.

It is open source.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

+1 on what Damonte recommended.

I also use TrueCrypt. The most useful thing about it, for me, is that I can create encrypted volumes that appear to be any file type I want. How is one to know that the 37GB VMDK file in my E drive isn't really a VMware disk image!? :)

http://www.truecrypt.org/
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Installing now (thanks!).

As I understand it, I move whatever files I want encrypted into the Virtual Local Disk created by TrueC. It appears that I have to manually DISMOUNT the Virtual Disk to secure those files before I leave my CPU unattended. One hour to finish copying 269 MB of Thunderbird mail profiles/data to the virtual drive (?! I assume the initial move-encryption takes a while...) and then I can test further.

This will bring much peace of mind.
        sigpic

Comment

Correction: the one hour copy time is not related to TrueC. (I am backing up a few files to a thumb drive in the event that I screw up something -- highly probable . . .).
          sigpic

Comment

IIRC, you can have TC automatically dismount your encrypted volumes after a period of time. But in any case; if your computer is powered off the volumes will be dismounted automatically. If you left the volumes unlocked someone would have to steal your PC and keep the power on the whole time in order to access those files.

You can also get a PortableApps version of TrueCrypt that you can take with you on a thumb drive and access using any computer with a USB port. http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/truecrypt-portable
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Be sure you keep the password safe and do not lose it. Once lost, there is no way to recover the password to your TC volume.

You can also use it to encrypt an entire hard drive or even a USB flash drive.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Very long password secured!

Took me close to two hours to figure out how to move mailbox and Web profile to the encrypted volume. All in all an excellent program -- should have done this years ago.

I do not have much to protect (mail, financial files, and Web Browser with all the passwords) but it would be a nightmare to have my CPU stolen if it was unsecured.

Going to spread the word about TrueCrypt.

Thanks again.
                sigpic

Comment

If only you would stop referring to your tower as "CPU", I'd be immensely grateful! Gone are the days where a tower contained (almost) nothing but a processing unit.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Forget the CPU... I'd steal the BIOS!

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

I will call my CPU "Eduardo".

I have moved my Thunderbird mail profile into a TrueCypt volume (locker?) yet I still see the Thunderbird profile copied under /AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles. This strikes me as defeating the encrypted Thunderbird profile. Any attempt to rename or delete the AppData/Roaming/... files renders Thunderbird inoperative.

Am reading up on moving Thunderbird profiles but have not yet found how to address the apparent duplication of files under /Roaming/ . . .

Day two . . . .
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                        I will call my CPU "Eduardo".

I have moved my Thunderbird mail profile into a TrueCypt volume (locker?) yet I still see the Thunderbird profile copied under /AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles. This strikes me as defeating the encrypted Thunderbird profile. Any attempt to rename or delete the AppData/Roaming/... files renders Thunderbird inoperative.

Am reading up on moving Thunderbird profiles but have not yet found how to address the apparent duplication of files under /Roaming/ . . .

Day two . . . .
                        Thank you! *bows head*

You basically need to move and set your profile to point at the new directory. However, be sure your TC volume is decrypted and ready before you launch Thunderbird (in the future after doing this).

Follow the first section of steps in this Knowledgebase from Mozilla: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          Thank you! *bows head*

You basically need to move and set your profile to point at the new directory. However, be sure your TC volume is decrypted and ready before you launch Thunderbird (in the future after doing this).

Follow the first section of steps in this Knowledgebase from Mozilla: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder
                          I would recommend the portable version of Thunderbird to run completely inside your encrypted volume. That way there is no trace of it outside:

http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...rbird_portable

Comment

Originally posted by Damonte View Post
                            I would recommend the portable version of Thunderbird to run completely inside your encrypted volume. That way there is no trace of it outside:

http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...rbird_portable
                            Thanks. I installed the ThunderbirdPortable on an encrypted volume so now it is completely unaccessible unless mounted. Took all afternoon to figure out how to migrate Thunderbird files (what a pain).

Now I do not have to worry about someone stealing Eduardo and making off with all my access codes.

Been using computers since the mid 80s. This crap never gets any easier . . .
                            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X