Wireless Connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Connection

Just bought a Linksys 802.11g router and 802.11g PCI card for my system to get me through some renovations and beyond.

I can highly recommend this equipment as it was very easy to setup and performs beautifully.

Who are you?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

g? isnt that the 54mbps version, I too love wireless products but from experience netgear is a notch above linksys.

Comment

i also use linksys and besides some wireless problems to the router downstairs it has worked just fine.
        And god said "LET THERE BE HALF-LIFE!" and so it was...

Comment

de denanana deeeeeeeeeeeranger
          From Adam Webb

Comment

I had bad luck with a Netgear product once that soured me on the company, while I've had nothing but excellent experiences with linksys equipment...

So, anyway, DeRanger, are you pleased with the speeds that you're getting with your wireless g setup? No latency problems? Bandwidth should be adequate for gaming... Tell us more...
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I only have one system connected to the hub but speed has not been effected at all, nor has bandwidth. There is no change in latency or packet loss while playing on other servers or my own, its just like being hard-wired to the modem. I'm interested to see what will happen when (and if) I connect another computer or two to the router.

I'm at the other end of the house downstairs and I haven't had a hiccup yet.

Comment

There's no way a properly-functioning wireless router will ever slow down your consumer-grade Internet connection. We're talking about 11 and 54 Mbit/sec here.

I have a NetGear MR314 802.11b wireless router, and it performs flawlessly. I have a Linksys WET11 wireless ethernet bridge, and it has to be powercycled about once a month, but performs flawlessly otherwise. Before my migration to WiFi, I had the 4-port Cable/DSL router/switch from Linksys. It performed flawlessly. My mother-in-law has a 4-port wireless router from Linksys, and it performs well. The USB WiFi adapter she has from Linksys is a piece of junk.

Wyzcrak
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                  There's no way a properly-functioning wireless router will ever slow down your consumer-grade Internet connection. We're talking about 11 and 54 Mbit/sec here.

I have a NetGear MR314 802.11b wireless router, and it performs flawlessly. I have a Linksys WET11 wireless ethernet bridge, and it has to be powercycled about once a month, but performs flawlessly otherwise. Before my migration to WiFi, I had the 4-port Cable/DSL router/switch from Linksys. It performed flawlessly. My mother-in-law has a 4-port wireless router from Linksys, and it performs well. The USB WiFi adapter she has from Linksys is a piece of junk.

Wyzcrak
                  Man...we have the EXACT same router...nice little bugger eh???

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                    I guess that depends on whether you're referring to bandwidth or latency, huh? I'm glad to hear that wireless has good latency, though...

Try playing online games via satellite... One of our members (or former members...) had almost unshared access to a T1 satellite link, but his pings to N42 were in the 800's... Consumer dishes won't get you much better... That's what made me ask about the latency...
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Here's a test for your router's overall capability. Unfortunately you will need 3 machines to test it out.

These would need to be done simultaneously.

Copy a 500MB file from machine A to machine B.
                      Copy a 500MB file from machine B to machine C.
                      Copy a 500MB file from machine C to machine A.

You *SHOULD* be able to get near 100MB throughput simultaneously in all of these copy sessions.

This is personally why I went with Netgear over Linksys. They just perform better when given a real load.
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I need to start paying attention to this stuff. I told my gf I will help her setup her computer and she is going with a wireless connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
                          I need to start paying attention to this stuff. I told my gf I will help her setup her computer and she is going with a wireless connection.
                          Its so easy, the hardest part if finding the right hole to plug everything in, litterally. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Emanon
                            Originally posted by Wolfie
                            Its so easy, the hardest part if finding the right hole to plug everything in, litterally. ;)
                            :D :D :D :D :D

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                              Here's a test for your router's overall capability. Unfortunately you will need 3 machines to test it out.

These would need to be done simultaneously.

Copy a 500MB file from machine A to machine B.
                              Copy a 500MB file from machine B to machine C.
                              Copy a 500MB file from machine C to machine A.

You *SHOULD* be able to get near 100MB throughput simultaneously in all of these copy sessions.

This is personally why I went with Netgear over Linksys. They just perform better when given a real load.
                              Bay Networks baby!!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X