New Computer Project (First Time Too)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Computer Project (First Time Too)

Alright, so my old betty died not too long ago, not totally just the 460 2gb GPU which was the most state of the art piece, and I concluded that it is high time to move on from my 6 year old computer that Dell made incredibly hard to modify.

I'm hoping to have this new computer last for at least 5 years and I want it to be able to run games like ArmA III, PlanetSide 2, Star Citizen, DayZ, and Project Reality 2 at around high settings and at least 60 fps (bonus points for recording at the same time too). Since I want this computer to last for four years, and with Steam Big Picture and 4k some how being already $999 I'd like for this to be able to work as a Home Theater PC in the near future (2-3 years).

My understanding of computer parts is limited to RAM and GPUs and knowing that I like Quad Cores. I'm basically looking for a brand new computer with about the only hope of using anything from my prior computer being its 450W PSU and obviously the monitor.

Could anyone fill me in on what I should look for in the coming months? I'm in no rush to buy the parts and can wait for newer tech to come out or things to go on sale...

Oh and since this'll be put together by me I'd like some suggestions on Vanity Towers (with PSU storage on the bottom preferably). Budget is probably the $700 range...

Thanks guys!

Re: New Computer Project (First Time Too)

Well I would start by checking out some hardware forums like Tom's Hardware and the like. Take some time to read the reviews that are coming out for both leading edge and existing products. Most times the sweet spot is not on the newest technology but one or a half generation behind. Focus on CPU's and try to gain an understanding of what's current and what is about to come out that may shake up the market.

Spend time on Newegg or similar sites looking at products and their reviews and perhaps build a wish list of products you are looking at. MAny times people post the wish list for review here.

My advice is to have at least one SSD but two or more is even better. Pay more rather than less for a PSU. Go modular you wont regret it.

Good luck.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

What was in your old build?
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

My CPU was a QQ6600 and the Ram was 4GB at 800ish Mghz. The Motherboard is exceedingly outdated and was prohibiting better ram options. The GPU is a 460 2gb MSI but I'm pretty positive its dead. Nothing else of interest really.

Comment

I would say to start looking attr AMD 7970 (I think it's this one) because a AMD models 6000, 7000 and others will support Mantle soon. So this will get antler soon AND run for a fairly long time.
          Questions about those who deserve it!
          "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

Yt, if you really want to get into Star Citizen, consider AMD graphics. I am excited about their new MANTLE API. It could be a huge increase in performance when running games with MANTLE enabled... Again this reiterates what Rampage said. We can also say that certain cards can also be flashed to be the next level up card. (The 7950 = locked 7970)

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I dropped you a pm with a link to my dropbox to a magazine that may be helpful.

Comment

Budget?
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                  Budget?
                  He said it was along the $700 dollar range. If it was in the thousands though Garthra, you could get an Origin PC with it custom built by them and have a long warranty available for you.

Comment

Originally posted by BolivianRAMPAGE View Post
                    He said it was along the $700 dollar range. If it was in the thousands though Garthra, you could get an Origin PC with it custom built by them and have a long warranty available for you.
                    Or buy a Razor Project Christine where everything plugs into a tower... adding parts is like popping a VHS tape in...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                      Or buy a Razor Project Christine where everything plugs into a tower... adding parts is like popping a VHS tape in...
                      I have never heard of this, when did it come out?

Comment

Are you interested in potentially overclocking the CPU later in this system's life? Closed-unit water cooling systems are in the same price range now as good tower air coolers.

Even if you're not intending to OC, they're very quiet and can save a lot of space over a tower cooler.

Case-wise are you thinking about a full tower, mid-size tower, or something smaller?
                        Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I'm in the $700 range though if I hold off long enough it might get boosted to $1000. I'd like a full tower, a bottom psu, and enough room to potentially Sli or Xfire down the line. I'm uncomfortable with OCing right now, but it might be in the cards later down the line.

Good heating and venting, as well as easy cleaning, are other good priorities.

I'd be gaming on a 23 inch 1650 monitor or potentially a TV...

I'd want the gpu/CPU to sync up well so Intel/nvidia or amd. I've had good experience with nvidia and one bad experience with Radeon... but am willing to forgive and forget if Radeon is improving now.

Comment

I build custom PC's as a side job and I have built all my own gaming units. I noticed you said you were uncomfortable with over clocking but I would get a unlocked chip in case you wanted to go down that path in the future. I personally a Nvidia fan since I have had nothing but trouble with AMD / ATI drivers but to each their own.

It boils down to getting a Intel i5 CPU (Haswell 4000 series would be the best option but the 3000 series are very good chipsets and overclock VERY well)
                            At least 8GB of memory. Best would be 2x 8GB of DDR3 12800 memory (16GB total)
                            Get a quality motherboard, like the guys said above, do some homework, look at reviews and real users reviews. Dont skimp on mobo
                            650 watt PS minimum , I would stick with 750 or above with a solid high amp rail
                            Get a decent case with good air flow front to back
                            Buy aftermarket CPU cooling, this is a must even if you are not overclocking
                            and obviously you will want dedicated graphics and this can vary greatly depending on budget

I recently built a unit for a customer and here are the options I gave him. The very bottom 2 would have 3000 series CPU's not the 2000 series.

1) This unit would run $749 with upgrade to 8GB of memory. Unlocked CPU for overclocking and on board graphics (Basic)

Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H Z87 Motherboard Bundle
                            This Bundle Includes:
                            Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H Z87 Motherboard - MicroATX, LGA1150, Z87 Chipset, DDR3 1600 MHz, Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, HDMI, DVI, CrossfireX Ready (GA-Z87M-D3H)
                            Intel Core i5-4670K Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3.4GHz, 84W, Fan, 1200 MHz Graphics Core Speed (BX80646I54670K)
                            ADATA Premier Series AD3U1333C4G9-SH 4GB Desktop Memory Module - PC3-10666, DDR3-1333MHz, 240-pin DIMM
                            WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Drive - Designed for everyday computing - 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache - WD10EZEX
                            LG 24X DVD Burner - M-Disc Support, Silent, Jamless Play, SATA Interface, 24x DVD-ROM Transfer Rate, 48x CD-ROM Transfer Rate (GH24NS95B)
                            Kingwin ABT-650MM Maximum Series ATX Power Supply - 650W, 120mm Fan, Single +12V Rail
                            ULTRA XBlaster Pro U12-42350 Mid-Tower Case - ATX/MicroATX, 3 x 5.25" Drive Bays, 7 x 3.5" Drive Bays, 7 Expansion Slots, 2 x USB 2.0 & 3.0 Ports, 2 x Audio Ports, 1 x Rear Fan
                            Here is the next option and is a little better: It has a White case. I was not sure about white until I just built my own unit with a white case, very clean. Price on this unit would be $775. Unlocked CPU for overclocking and on board graphics (Basic)

Asus Z87-A (SLI) Socket 1150 Haswell Mother Bundle
                            This Bundle Includes:
                            Asus Z87-A Motherboard - ATX, LGA1150, Intel Z87 Express Chipset, 2800 MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, Quad-GPU CrossFireX Ready (Z87-A SLI)
                            Intel Core i5-4670K Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3.4GHz, 84W, Fan, 1200 MHz Graphics Core Speed (BX80646I54670K)
                            Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB Desktop Memory Module - DDR3, 1600MHz, PC3-12800, CL 11, 1.5V(PX38G1600C11)
                            WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Drive - Designed for everyday computing - 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache - WD10EZEX
                            LG 24X DVD Burner - M-Disc Support, Silent, Jamless Play, SATA Interface, 24x DVD-ROM Transfer Rate, 48x CD-ROM Transfer Rate (GH24NS95B)
                            Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Sleeved Cables, Matte Finish
                            Thermaltake VN40006W2N Commander MS-I Snow Edition Tower Case - ATX, Mid-Tower, 3x 5.25" Bays, 5x 3.5" Bays, 7x Expansion Slots, USB, USB 3.0, Security Lock, White
                            Here is another one to look at. It has upgraded graphics card but a smaller hard drive. It would be $840 with the memory upgraded to 8GB.

MSI Z87-G41 PC MATE Intel Z87 Motherboard Bundle
                            This Bundle Includes:
                            MSI Z87-G41 PC MATE Intel Z87 Motherboard - ATX, LGA 1150, Intel Z87 Chipset, 2600 MHz(OC) DDR3, SATA 6 Gb/s, Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, 2-way CrossFire (Z87-G41 PC MATE)
                            Intel Core i5-4570 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3.2GHz, 84W, Fan, 1150 MHz Graphics Core Speed (BX80646I54570)
                            Patriot Viper Xtreme 4GB Desktop Memory Module - DDR3, 1600MHz, PC3-12800, CL 11, 1.5V (PX34G1600C11)
                            WD Blue 500GB Desktop Hard Drive - Designed for everyday computing - 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache - WD5000AAKX
                            XFX Radeon HD 7770 Core Edition Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI-I, 1x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, CrossFire, Dual-Slot, Fan, (FX-777A-ZNJ4)
                            Kingwin ABT-650MM Maximum Series ATX Power Supply - 650W, 120mm Fan, Single +12V Rail
                            Zalman Z5 Plus ATX Mid-Tower - 3 x 5.25" Drive Bays, 3 x 3.5" Drive Bays, 7 x Exp Slots, 3 x 120mm Fans, 2 x USB 2.0 Ports, 1 x USB 3.0 Port, 2 x Audio Ports (Z5 Plus (BULK))
                            Kingwin CFBL-012LB LED Case Fan - 120mm, Blue

And yet another one for you. It is on the cheaper side. Locked CPU so very limited overclocking, on board graphics (basic). It would cost $699 upgraded to 8GB of memory.

Asus Z87-C Motherboard Bundle
                            This Bundle Includes:
                            Asus Z87-C Motherboard - ATX, LGA1150, Intel Z87 Express Chipset, 2800 MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, Quad-GPU CrossFireX Ready (Z87-C)
                            Intel Core i5-4570 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3.2GHz, 84W, Fan, 1150 MHz Graphics Core Speed (BX80646I54570)
                            ADATA Premier Series AD3U1333C4G9-SH 4GB Desktop Memory Module - PC3-10666, DDR3-1333MHz, 240-pin DIMM
                            WD Blue 500GB Desktop Hard Drive - Designed for everyday computing - 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache - WD5000AAKX
                            Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Sleeved Cables, Matte Finish
                            Thermaltake VN40006W2N Commander MS-I Snow Edition Tower Case - ATX, Mid-Tower, 3x 5.25" Bays, 5x 3.5" Bays, 7x Expansion Slots, USB, USB 3.0, Security Lock, White

Here is one that would be ultra fast with an added SSD Drive, 16GB of memory, graphics card and a quad core i5 CPU. But would cost $1,010.

MSI Z87-G43 Intel Z87 Motherboard Bundle
                            This Bundle Includes:
                            MSI Z87-G43 Intel Z87 Motherboard - ATX, LGA 1150, Intel Z87 Chipset, 2600 MHz(OC) DDR3, SATA 6 Gb/s, Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, 2-way CrossFire (Z87-G43)
                            Ultra LS600 Lifetime Series 600W Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-Express, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration
                            ULTRA XBlaster Pro U12-42350 Mid-Tower Case - ATX/MicroATX, 3 x 5.25" Drive Bays, 7 x 3.5" Drive Bays, 7 Expansion Slots, 2 x USB 2.0 & 3.0 Ports, 2 x Audio Ports, 1 x Rear Fan
                            EVGA 01G-P4-3650-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Gskill 16GB DDR3 16000 Memory

Adata 256GB SSD Hard Drive

A few other options I gave him:

Here is a very nice set up with Graphics card and Blu-Ray Burner– Total cost with my assembly and configuration with you providing OS = $759.00
                            I would purchase a 1TB Hard drive for this build and is included in the price.
                            Option #1 - MSI Z77A-G41 8GB Quad Core Bundle
                            This Bundle Includes:
                            MSI Z77A-G41 Intel 7 Series Z77 Motherboard - ATX, LGA 1155, Intel Z77 Chipset, 2133(OC) DDR3, SATA 6 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, Crossfire Ready
                            Intel Core BX80637I53470 i5-3470 Processor - Quad Core, 3.2GHz, 6M Cache, SSE4.1, Core i5, LGA 1155
                            Centon BB1333PC4096.01 4GB Desktop Memory Module - DDR3, 1333MHz, 240 Pin, DIMM, 1.5V, CL9
                            Centon BB1333PC4096.01 4GB Desktop Memory Module - DDR3, 1333MHz, 240 Pin, DIMM, 1.5V, CL9
                            EVGA GeForce GTX 650 01G-P4-2650-KR Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0(x16), 1x Dual-link DVI-I, 1x Dual-link DVI-D, 1x Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot
                            LG WH14NS40 14X Blu-Ray Burner - SATA, 4MB Buffer, 3D Playback, OEM
                            Kingwin ABT-750MM Maximum Series ATX Power Supply - 750W, 120mm Fan, Single +12V Rail
                            Ultra Gladiator Mid-Tower Case - ATX/MicroATX, 3x 5.25" Bays, 3.5" Bays, 1x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0, 7x Expansion Slots, Black, Lifetime Warranty with Registration

Here is another unit with some different components – Total cost with my assembly and configuration with you providing OS = $649

Option #2 - GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H Quad Core 8GB Bundle
                            This Bundle Includes:
                            GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H Intel 7 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z77 Express, 1600MHz DDR3, SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 7.1-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, CrossFireX Ready
                            Intel Core i5-2500K BX80623I52500 Unlocked Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache, 3.30 GHz (3.70 GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 95W, Fan, Retail
                            Kingston HyperX Red KHX16C9B1R/4 4GB Memory Module - 1600MHz, 9-9-9, DDR3, CL9, 1.65V, Unbuffered
                            Kingston HyperX Red KHX16C9B1R/4 4GB Memory Module - 1600MHz, 9-9-9, DDR3, CL9, 1.65V, Unbuffered
                            WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB Desktop Hard Drive - 3.5", SATA, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache
                            Samsung SH-224BB/BEBE Internal 24X DVD Burner -Tray, SATA, 1.5MB Buffer Memory, 16x DVD-R Read, 48x CD-R Write (OEM)
                            Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration

Here is yet another one.

This is about as low as you would want to go for a nice i5 configuration. This is a base unit with solid components - Total cost with my assembly and configuration with you providing OS =$599
                            Option #3 - MSI Z77A-G41 8GB Intel Quad Core Bundle
                            This Bundle Includes:
                            MSI Z77A-G41 Intel 7 Series Z77 Motherboard - ATX, LGA 1155, Intel Z77 Chipset, 2133(OC) DDR3, SATA 6 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, Crossfire Ready
                            Intel Core i5-2500K BX80623I52500 Unlocked Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache, 3.30 GHz (3.70 GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 95W, Fan, Retail
                            Kingston HyperX Red KHX16C10B1R/8 8GB Memory Module - 1600MHz, 10-10-10, DDR3, CL10, 1.5V, Unbuffered
                            Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s
                            Samsung SH-224BB/BEBE Internal 24X DVD Burner -Tray, SATA, 1.5MB Buffer Memory, 16x DVD-R Read, 48x CD-R Write (OEM)
                            Thermaltake Versa II VO700A1N3N Mid Tower Case - ATX, 7 Expansion Slots, 3x5.25" Drive Bays, 1xUSB 2.0 Ports, 1xUSB 3.0 Ports, 2xAudio Ports, 120mm Fan
                            NZXT Phantom 820 | Antec 1200w PS |Intel Core i7 3770K @4.4
                            Corsair H110 liquid cooler|ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 2 X EVGA GTX 680 4GB SLI
                            GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 2133GHz - 8GBx2 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                              I'd want the gpu/CPU to sync up well so Intel/nvidia or amd.
                              I know of no examples of this being a thing in any way. If you follow this guideline you are only limiting yourself.

Nvidias next GPU architecture is scheduled going to released sometime this year. Possibly some lower end parts built on the AMD 290X platform as well.

A new Intel CPU architecture may release towards the end of the year.

You might consider waiting for the GPU refresh if that is your kind of thing, but reality is that the march of progress in enthusiast computer hardware is slowing down. You need not worry so much about buying something just as the models are about to come out.

I'd say given your circumstances to just go ahead and build a new box if you feel your current one was limiting you.
                              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X