No announcement yet.

Verizon 4G LTE for Internet Use

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon 4G LTE for Internet Use

I just moved to the middle of nowhere and in a rush had Hughesnet installed which I am currently using for internet access, it sucks. The data rates aren't that good to begin with but the latency is so bad that it's impossible to play online games, let alone FPS's. I knew this going into it and have spent the last several weeks doing research on other options. I checked out microwave dish technology, like Wisp, and checked into DSL which isn't available in my area. I've finally settled on a Verizon 4G LTE hotspot which is the only reasonable option; a 20 gig package.

My question is, what kind of data rate do you think I will be experiencing while playing the game on a 64 player server, i.e. the TG server? I've attempted several times to get into games but the latency and bandwidth with Hughesnet are so terrible that I was only able to get on one sever with just three people. I was using about 1-2meg/minute while in game but wondered if I should expect to see a higher usage rate on a full server. I've tested the latency from both my wife and my phone out here and it's somewhere between 47-55ms which is great imho, I was getting 15 in my old neighborhood with FIOS which is ridiculous. Also, as part of the package they'll be installing an antennae or amplifier so I should be getting 3-4 bars vice the two bars at 4G I consistently get at present.

I figured if I had a rough idea of how much data I would be using I could get a good idea at about how much game time I would get. Even at 3megs/minute, which is a lot, that extrapolates out to 5.5hours/gig, for a total of 110 hours of game time which is way more than I need. I understand that I will need the internet for other things which is why I'm keeping Hughesnet as well. For general web browsing and downloads I'll be using that connection which albeit is slow, gives me access to another 25 gigs. Thanks in advance.

Re: Verizon 4G LTE for Internet Use

If you're talking about the LTE connection, pretty darn good, assuming you have at least 20 GBs of bandwidth every month and you have 4 out of 5 bars. How stable it might be in a storm or other bad weather will depend on how poor the connection becomes when you do have bad weather running through. As for DL and UL speeds, LTE should potentially give you something equal to a 50 mbit connection if not better.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed