Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Game Build List--Help Me Out

Here the skinny:
    Need a gaming rig to run Arma 3, BF 4, Planetside 2, etc. I also produce music on the side so need high quality sound card.
    I am pretty handy mechanically, but new to computer builds.
    Price Cap :$2,000+/-
    Was seriously going to get a laptop but the heating issues are scaring me off that idea. Now I'm excited about doing my own build, ive read some of the posts here and have a Build List from new egg.

Case..Antec 900 Black Steel 3 fans ATX Mid
    MOBO..ASUS VI Maximus Hero 1150 USB 3.0
    RAM..16GB---G Skill RipJaws 2X4GB---8GB X 2 =16GB
    GPU..EVGA GTX 770 2GB SLI Superclocked with ACX Cooling
    CPU..Intel i7 4770 Haswell 3.5 Mhz
    SSD..Samsung EVO 840 250 GB
    HHD..Seagate 2 TB 7200 rpm
    Power Supply..Seasonic 12v 600w Fully Mod.
    Optical Drive..ASUS DRW 24x
    Sound Card..Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx

that's it so far.
    I also did a build with less memory and storage for $1,362
    Price for above build with the memory and storage upgrades= $1,687

ANY help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance folks.

Re: New Game Build List--Help Me Out

The Zx and the Z are essentially the same. If you want to have good sound quality, the onboard sound that ASUS puts on its ROG motherboards is great. I have the high end ROG motherboard for the AMD line up, and the ZxR, and that offers the only real noticeable improvement over the onboard sound. Take it from me, if you use 5.1 or wish to perform audio conversions, the ZxR is awesome, but onboard is still good compared to the Z and the Zx. If you just want the fancy nob, get the Zx.

That is just my 2 cents.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

thanks BeSeige
      I was looking at the ROG first, so I'll definitely review that choice recommendation.

Just to keep the saga interesting I'm looking into the Origin small form factor Chronos---I can configure it about the same as the above build but get water cooling and and a smaller footprint.
      Any feedback on Origin is welcome, Ive looked at some other boutique makers and seems all have support issues, product quality issues, etc. Origin seems like a good outfit, what do you guys think.

Comment

What about your OS choice? What about a aftermarket cooler for that 4770K?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Going Windows 7 if I build. I'll look into coolers if I use the 4770, as I didnt yet.
          Still looking at some prebuilts like Origin Chronos.
          Also thinking of using the i5 4670 as its just fine for single GPU setups if I understand correctly.
          Might upgrade the GPU to 780 (Ti?) and downgrade the CPU to the i5 4670.
          Definitely enjoying the learning curve, and the research.
          thanks

Comment

Consider a usb DVD drive.

Also consider that upgrading your computer down the line can be a good way of expanding its value. With that in mind you may consider saving some of the money you would spend now to upgrade in the future or setting this machine up to more efficiently upgraded, mainly by investing more money into the hard to upgrade/non depreciating parts(cpu mainly) and allocating less to the easier/faster depreciating parts(GPU/mainboard).

That said you seem to have a good grasp on how to proceed.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

good advice thank you, thats just the kind of thing I need to hear.
              regarding usb as dvd drive is everything--games, software, etc available as a download now, or how does that work? I'm a little out of the loop tech wise, trying to catch up.

Comment

For the most part, yes. You'll like it to install your OS at least. The advantage with the usb drive is that you only need one and you can use it on all your computers. Get a laptop in the future with no optical? Cool, you have the usb one. I'd say you can use it with your next computer, but I doubt we'll be using DVDs then.
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I never knew there was usb DVD drives, ill look into this as well, ty.
                  Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Originally posted by HawksFlight View Post
                    Going Windows 7 if I build. I'll look into coolers if I use the 4770, as I didnt yet.
                    Still looking at some prebuilts like Origin Chronos.
                    Also thinking of using the i5 4670 as its just fine for single GPU setups if I understand correctly.
                    Might upgrade the GPU to 780 (Ti?) and downgrade the CPU to the i5 4670.
                    Definitely enjoying the learning curve, and the research.
                    thanks
                    Even if you went with the i5-4670, a aftermarket cooler is advisable. The stock Intel cooler can't cool any Intel quad-core enough on a full load. It basically fails if it's in a warm room (read: humidity) and/or without air conditioning.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X