Windows 8.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8.1

I am wondering if anyone is running 8.1. I literally just re-imaged to 7 but have been thinking about making the leap to 8.1. There are a couple of questions I have.

1. How is gaming on 8.1; is there a difference between the two OSs? How is driver support? Is there a benefit with DX runtime?
    2. I use SLI, are there any issues with it or is it game dependent?
    3. Is it worth another re-image or should I just hold out; why fix whats not broken no!?!?

Thanks a bunch!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Re: Windows 8.1

I, running 8.1, would say stick with 7. Windows 8.1, while it is better than 7, its not 120$ better. Unless you really want your computer to be more like an Iphone, I would say stay with 7.

I have had 0 problems running games on Windows 8.1. I cannot tell a difference, driver support for my Nvidia card has been excellent. I don't have SLI so I can't give you any input there.

Oh, and Chloe says hai.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
    ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

I have it, don't have SLI but I had a bug when I first came to Window 8.1 where my SecureBoot wouldnt work properly which messed up my headset somehow, making me need to buy a new one. I have an ASUS but it was fixed about 3 months after the bug came through I think, since it's fine for me now. I think that the Live Tiles are kinda cool, since they update automatically, but I find no use for them since I spend all my time on my Desktop app, nothing else.
      Questions about those who deserve it!
      "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

Jack, if you want to use Windows 8.1, you can do it just fine. I use it for my computers. If you want to game, then no problem.

Here is the thing, if you hate the metro system and the new short cut to the metro system, then download Classic Shell. Install it, update it, and then set up the look you want. There you go.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Thanks for all of the quick feedback!!! All input is under consideration!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

I highly recommend. Dual monitor support is perfect with 8.1. My machine boots faster and works better since I upgraded to 8.1.
            doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
              Thanks for all of the quick feedback!!! All input is under consideration!
              Do you have an i series water cooler from Corsair?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I use 8.1 with no problems but if win7 suits your needs without problems, why go through the work. I switched because it was there and I could .... No other good reason.

Comment

[MENTION=34009]ChiefBoatsRet[/MENTION], in the same boat. Have access to MSDNAA and 8.1 iso is burned to disk waiting to be installed. [MENTION=16023]Portable.Cougar[/MENTION], no dual monitor 46" Vizio for playing games, but good to know about boot times thanks both!
                  [MENTION=14958]BeSiege82[/MENTION], I have an H100 or whatever, the big boy corsair one.

Comment

Ok, [MENTION=18479]Jack Bauer[/MENTION] I need you to tell me if it is an H100 or H100i. If you use the H100, then it is fine, but if you use an H100i, then you will run into some odd issues with the cooling software. If you have the 100i, then windows 8 is just fine and when corsair releases an update, then you can download 8.1

Comment

Put win 8.1 on my newly built computer, and haven't had much trouble with it so far. Boot times are in the range of 4-7 seconds. The major problem I had was my old Belkin USB wifi nic wouldn't work with it, but seeing as I had already bought a new one for my new build that was fine. The biggest problem i've had is with my new NIC not playing right, but it's a driver problem that I think i've sorted out mostly, it would just take me buying a different one from the meh N600 i have, but it works 98% of the time so it's not really a trouble.

Getting around the new UI takes some learning, but nowhere near as much as people say coming from 8.0. Boots to the metro UI but with 1 click i'm in a win7-ish desktop, and can flip between metro UI and desktop with one button.

Rightclicking on the windows/metro icon (where the start menu would be) gives you quick access to everything you would have normally used win-R and put in a .msi for or have searched forever for:

The ONE thing i would like though would be a smaller programs list. I'm sure I can rearrange it to be better but the landscape format of the installed programs list is just too big for my liking. I can easily search installed applications from the metro UI there, but I'm so used to the start menu organization.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                      <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                      DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Have 8.1, boots crazy fast of my SSD. Games load fast of my other SSD. No issues, and start menu is easily figured out. I never NEVER use the metro screen though, that thing can die in a fire.

Comment

I played with Windows 8 on my laptop and found it really awkward. It did not feel like it was meant for a desktop. However, I have not messed with 8.1 and am wondering is there any advantage to 8.1 over 7, when 7 is running extremely solid?
                          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I can find no real advantage. Because win 7 is a solid OS I use a little program called Start8 and my start up screen looks just like Windows 7. I know all the ins and outs of 8.1 and switch back and forth but use the win7 look alike about 80% of the time. For the things I do I could have just as well stayed on Win7.

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback. It has really been appreciative!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X