Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video card question small problem.

Computer specs:
    AMD Athlon XP 3200+, 2 sticks 512 PC2700 DDR, 160GB 7200RPM, 250W power supply

Now to the question, I had a Nvidia GeForce FX5700LE 256MB AGP, everything ran pretty good playing BF2 at lower settings. I decided to upgrade to GeForce 6800 128MB AGP and I upgraded the power supply to 350W. The problem I am finding is that this card runs worse then the lower card. It should run better correct? Tried the upgraded drivers and the old drivers and it just doesn't seem to change anything. The graphics card actually seem to run worse, I get 35fps but when I turn it goes down to 15fps running the same settings as before. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Re: Video card question small problem.

Originally posted by Turbo
    Computer specs:
    AMD Athlon XP 3200+, 2 sticks 512 PC2700 DDR, 160GB 7200RPM, 250W power supply

Now to the question, I had a Nvidia GeForce FX5700LE 256MB AGP, everything ran pretty good playing BF2 at lower settings. I decided to upgrade to GeForce 6800 128MB AGP and I upgraded the power supply to 350W. The problem I am finding is that this card runs worse then the lower card. It should run better correct? Tried the upgraded drivers and the old drivers and it just doesn't seem to change anything. The graphics card actually seem to run worse, I get 35fps but when I turn it goes down to 15fps running the same settings as before. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Grab the latest beta drivers from nVIDIA they are 78.03 http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_do...etadriver.html
    Released today actually. Even the vanilla flavor 6800 should smoke a 5700LE.
    [TG]Slim

A member of the old school Scene,
    ACiD, iCE, CiA, UNiON, DOD, PWA, RiSC, Razor1911,gH, l0ft....When Elite wasn't a 13 year old script kiddie

Athlon64 4200 Dual Core
    Gigabyte K8N Ultra
    74Gb WD Raptor
    Leadtek 7800GTX
    2GB OCZ EL Matched DDR 533
    Zalman 7700Cu

Comment

Tried those first and it still runs like crap. Temps are fine too. It seems like it isnt even doing anything.

Comment

Thats odd, did you change any settings in your display properties as far as AA or anything? A reload may be in order if thats an option
        [TG]Slim

A member of the old school Scene,
        ACiD, iCE, CiA, UNiON, DOD, PWA, RiSC, Razor1911,gH, l0ft....When Elite wasn't a 13 year old script kiddie

Athlon64 4200 Dual Core
        Gigabyte K8N Ultra
        74Gb WD Raptor
        Leadtek 7800GTX
        2GB OCZ EL Matched DDR 533
        Zalman 7700Cu

Comment

Changed nothing in the game and checked the display setting on the desktop to make sure everything was off. I'm downloading the fear demo now to see how that runs, we will see. Might just have to take this crap back and just get more ram.

Comment

Well the F.E.A.R. demo runs with everything turned up and when the old card was in it would barely run. So I think it might be my ram, when you sit still in BF2 everything is fine but as soon as you start to turn the frame-rate falls and it stutters. I would also recommend not playing the F.E.A.R. demo at 1:00am after drinking a few. I think i'm going to go to bed with my trusty blade now. :madsmile:

Comment

Check your bios settings. Sometimes you have to manually change the AGP architecture (I'm pretty sure that's not the correct word, but gives you an idea) to match the ram of your video card. It may still be set to the ram of the old video card, which will cause shadowing and massive graphical slow downs. Another thing to look at is the brand of your 350W PSU. The geforce 6800's are power-hungry monsters, and a bad 350W just won't cut it. I personally recommend a 400W+ from either antec or Fortron source. Look at it this way, you spent all this money on all these nice computer parts, and you're skimping on the thing that provides power to them all? (not to mention the bad PSU's have improper surge protection, and a power surge will fry most of your PC)

If it's a problem only specifically tied to Bf2, then it's almost deffinantly your ram, because bf2 needs way more ram power than most any other game I know of.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I got the Antec 350w Smartpower 2.0 should I take it back and get the 400w? Fear runs with the graphics almost maxed so I think it is just BF2 ill have to pick up some more ram too.

Comment

Well my card no longer works. I think I had a bad card the whole time, back to the drawing board.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo
                    Well my card no longer works. I think I had a bad card the whole time, back to the drawing board.
                    Probably. I bought a Geforce 5900XT at the beginning of 2004 that had all sorts of artifacting straight out of the box. May have been from some doofus overclocking it, ruining it, returning it, and the shady vendor reselling it as new.. But, still.. they can go bad quickly. Hopefully you can return the card and try a different one.

The 350W Antec should be good.
                    Battlefield Admin() ()
                    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                    | for | |

Comment

I am going to send it back and request a better card. Who knows maybe it will work. I put my old one back in and it seems to work better so I do beleive the card was bad from the beginning.

Comment

Hey Turbo, sorry to hear about your card. I got this one from Newegg: BFG Tech BFGW68256GTOCXV Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card. I am very happy with it. No overclocking and I have all my settings on high. I did install a total of 2 gig of ram which also made a big differance. Just a thought.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

I will have to see what they say, I would get that card but I think I am going to be building a new computer next year so I will probably wait and get a PCI express card instead of the AGP that I have now in my computer..

Comment

Sorry to hear about the card but if you RMA it try looking at the V's on your PSU could be a bad PSU try switching it out and did you get a good brand PSU or a cheap no name brand?

try 77.77 drivers they seem to like everything.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X