New Laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Laptop

So I'm going to be getting a new laptop within the next week or so. I picked up a Lenovo G700 before christmas and while it does a good job doing what it does, it is not really meeting my needs at work. I tend to run a multi monitor setup while in the office as well as running a number of programs. While this would be better suited to a desktop this isn't really an option as I spend a number of days on the road and am cheap enough to not want to pay for extra liscence copies for some of the software.

Now my father has managed to spill a glass of water on his laptop and fry his motherboard, this leaves me with the opportunity to give the Lenovo to him and get a new one.

I'm looking at this Acer. It's more than what is needed but it's also a really good price or so it appears.

I have also looked at this MSI.

Both of these are more gaming than business but they also have the power I need/like.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
    sigpic

Re: New Laptop

Of the two, I'd go with the Acer. That MSI you linked to is Open Box, so it probably doesn't have more than a few months warranty anyways (if it even has that). If you can find the MSI new at that price, then the MSI hands down. Either way, make sure you register the laptop after you get it so you're eligible for the full warranty (stupid I know).

Personally, if I was going the gaming laptop route, this would be my choice: Lenovo Y510p. Quite possibly the most affordable gaming laptop out there for under $1,000.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I hadn't considered a 15.6 screen because of using multiple monitors. But given the specs on that lenovo I could just run 2 monitors and not use the laptop screen at the desk. I like the price point better as well.
      sigpic

Comment

Don't go ACER. Acer has a reputation for heating issues and I have seen it first hand. Bad fans.

I just bought an MSi with great gaming specs, but had to RMA it after the power button broke. It is a 15.6 inch laptop. The customer support is great though.

That lenovo is great. My friend runs ArmA 2:CO and Red Orchestra on that thing with little issues beyond wanting an SSD.

As for MSi, their laptops boast features for running two monitors simultaneously while still using the main screen. Also, the MSi laptops often allow for RAID configurations using mSATA SSDs.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I have that same brand acer just less spec'ed out (intel i5 with nvidia 630m). It's a good laptop but under the warranty I did have the HD fail and the fan broke (a terrible grinding noise started occuring). In addition, it over heated a lot without an additional laptop cooler while playing games.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
          ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

The Acer heating issues happens with every "make" of laptops. I quoted make because most of the laptops out there are made by only a few companies in Asia (cough: Taiwan and China probably makes the majority). And they aren't because of bad fans, but rather bad cooling design from the get go. Most of the design decision was probably centered around cost reduction rather than a beefier cooling system to ensure long life of the laptop and adaquate cooling in inadaquate environments.

Hilbilly,

If you don't plan on using the laptop as a laptop, instead as a desktop, why buy a laptop? You could easily build a great PC for far less and having a better warranty on parts. Not to mention, you get some experience, know what you put in, and can probably fix anything that goes wrong instead of having it shipped back for repairs. Oh and did I mention, you'd probably never have to worry about your PC overheating? Great cooling for cheap! (Unlike laptop cooler parts which can cost a fortune to replace.)

If you say "because I might move it around the house or maybe take it with me on a trip" I'm going to go bonkers. Those are bad reasons to buy a laptop for desktop use instead of buying parts and building your own machine. The building part is easy as hell. I could probably walk you through the entire affair within a few hours via Skype.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hell you can always get one of THESE

Build a small, powerful PC and just tote this around instead of a laptop. Avoid any laptop downsides, and since you can use a graphics card you can run multiple display setups ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I'm aware that any sort of box that I build would be worlds better than a laptop. Building is not an issue I have always done this myself.

This will not be primarily a gaming station.

As I stated in the OP, I need the portability of a laptop, with more of the power of a desktop. It is not replacing my gaming PC. Using a desktop in the office is an option (one that I have looked at) but due to liscencing for the TaxPreparation software that I use, the yearly cost for being able to have it on another computer is not worth it. Add to that the amount of time I spend on the road visiting clients any sort of box that doesn't have a monitor and keyboard attached to it just doesn't make sense. Which brings me back to a laptop again.

I don't need to get a gaming laptop, that is just a bit of a perk. If there are other options that I should look at that would give me similar power output for a lower price, I'd been interested in those too.

Edit: just for reference before I got the Lenovo G700, I had always gotten something that was considered a desktop replacement/multi media notebook. This is probably not helping with my disapointment in the current one.
                sigpic

Comment

Outputting to multiple screens should be straightforward as the newest intel integrated video provides for at least 3 video outputs(given the physical connectors are present). I have not tested it though.
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

In my opinion, using integrated Intel graphics for anything other regular single screen use is a bad idea.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

As someone who travels about 250 days a year, I require a decent gaming notebook. My current G74SX has served me well, but is beginning to show it's age a bit, and can tell you my next notebook will be MXM so I can upgrade the GPU. This limits me to less than a dozen manufacturers, but it's rather annoying that my CPU is beefy and still viable, have a good 12GB of DDR3, have upgraded to dual SSD's, it's just that my performance bottleneck lies in the soldered-on 560M that I can do nothing about. Being able to upgrade the GPU would probably extend it's life another two years.

The notebooks with MXM start off in the $1100 range with some pretty decent specs, and a few even have SLI/Crossfire capability.

Comment

[MENTION=24786]Harlequin[/MENTION], that is an interesting idea, being able to mod the laptop would be awesome. could you point me in the right direction supplier wise?

Also anyone have thoughts on ASUS? There seems to be alot of choice of models from them as well.
                        sigpic

Comment

I love my ASUS laptop, even if its was a budget AMD gaming laptop from a couple of years ago. I replaced the 500 GB HDD (7,200 rpm) right after I bought it with a 120 GB Samsung 840 SSD. Not the fastest write speeds, but a cold boot went from 1.5 minutes to 23 seconds. I couldn't stand the long HDD load times.

Their G series gaming notebooks are very nice. Think they are customized and rebranded Clevo notebooks (pretty much made by Pegatron). They are heavy desktop replacement notebooks, but honestly you're still better off with a real gaming desktop as these notebooks cost $1000+.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My afore mentioned G74SX is an Asus, I have no complaints about it other than the permanent GPU issue, and that it weighs a ton (which is a given with gaming notebooks). It has survived a whole lot of travel abuse over the past couple years and has even been dropped a few times and keeps on ticking.

I hear/read good things about Clevo too, which is apparently good enough for several companies to purchase and re-brand them with their name including Dell, Asus, HP, Sager and a few others.

http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming...95_51_290.html

That's a link to Xotic PC's collection of Sagers(Clevo) that have upgradeable GPUs. They are quite affordable at their entry level but it's easy to get carried away when customizing.

Another issue is finding a bag big enough to house a 17" gaming laptop. Most bags that claim 17" still can't hold a bulky gaming laptop.

http://www.mobileedge.com/eco-friend...enger-bag.html

I've got that bag in Olive and it's the best $50 I've ever spent. It holds my laptop, power supply, external powered speakers, headset, mouse, mouse pad, 4G hot spot, a Kindle Fire HDX, and a whole mess of chargers and wires. It's also got a lifetime warranty.

Keep us posted.

Comment

As one who has bought two different laptops from XOTICPC, they are very good. XOTICPC allows for customization, including cooling customizing.

Harly, didn't you get a custom ASUS ROG backpack? I bought a G73Jh-A1 from them a couple years ago.

A couple months ago I bought an MSi laptop and XOTIC really helped with getting MSi to painlessly repair things.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X