Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with PC issues

Hello all,

Just recently, my PC started to show various signs and crashes which are new.
    I have scoured the pages off Google of various fixes and troubleshooting pages with no avail.

This occurred after I have installed the Steams PayDay2 free trial over this weekend.
    The game loaded fine, played it for about 10~15mins into the game then the screen went black. The PC was running, but my monitor didn't show anything. I had to hard reboot. The windows loaded fine, started DayZ standalone and then it went nuts. Horizontal lines across the screen, to half of the screen showing (it seems to have been scaled incorrectly, right side of the screen showing up on the left side).

I thought it was the driver that caused the issue so I updated it to the latest ATI's drivers. However, that didn't fix the issue either.
    Now when I reboot and get to the login screen, the horizontal lines are back. But when I choose the windows safe mode, the lines aren't there albeit it being a low resolution.
    I have managed to 'return to normal' by updating the video driver but that only lasted about 15mins or so, when testing the issue via DayZ SA.

Installed Direct X 9 onwards to latest, uninstalled and reinstalled the video card, did the virus check in safe mode.

I've tested the RAM sticks they are fine, the HDD is okay, Graphics card seems to work fine.

I'm thinking it's gotta be the result of the installation of PayDay 2 via Steam that caused this issue. This PC had no issues prior to this install.
    Now the game is uninstalled off Steam, but the problems remain.

Any ideas what went wrong here? I'm thinking it is a software related issue, not hardware but I can't seem to get my head around this.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Re: Help needed with PC issues

Could be a hardware failure that just coincided with the payday install.

I would run stress tests on the hardware for several hours.

If that does not pan out, I would reinstall Windows. It may seem drastic, but it will likely take less time than finding what driver got broken.

Comment

Steam use to crash my windows 7 laptop in a similar way. Never did figure out why.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I think I'll recheck the hardwares.
        Starting with the graphics card.

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

BeSeige, your issue probably has to do with using integrated graphics card. Read that some where.

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
            BeSeige, your issue probably has to do with using integrated graphics card. Read that some where.
            Integrated has issues... hmmm... I wonder if dedicated laptop GPUs have similar issues...

Anyways, I wish you the best in getting the problem solved.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I would def start with the graphics card

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/blogs/y...made-easy.html

Mom
                Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                Forever Perplexed

Comment

I would suggest that you uninstall your graphics drivers. Then do clean install of the latest ones for your graphics card.

Once that is done, check to see if you are still encountering problems.

Another thing, try a different monitor. The signs you are describing sounds like your current monitor might be on its last legs. Often times if you are using your system and your monitor suddenly blanks out only to come back a few seconds (or minutes) later, it might be a good sign that your display is about to die.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Alright, installed my old graphics card (ATI 4850). It loaded fine and no issues shown. Could it be that my graphics card somehow killed itself whilst testing (I say testing because I got crashed out the PayDay2 game within 20mins). But I fiddled with the graphics settings and I remember the FPS/refresh rate (or some option similar) was shown at 120+.
                    Could it be possible that setting from the game pushed the card into overheating?

I will retry the updated driver method again just in the hope that my card isn't fried.

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                      Alright, installed my old graphics card (ATI 4850). It loaded fine and no issues shown. Could it be that my graphics card somehow killed itself whilst testing (I say testing because I got crashed out the PayDay2 game within 20mins). But I fiddled with the graphics settings and I remember the FPS/refresh rate (or some option similar) was shown at 120+.
                      Could it be possible that setting from the game pushed the card into overheating?

I will retry the updated driver method again just in the hope that my card isn't fried.
                      If you can see any capacitors on the card's board, check to see if any of them ruptured or are bulging. If any are, then it's time for a new card, cus that card is about to burn out.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

May I suggest you restore your PC to the date/time before you installed Payday just to see if there is some type of driver/code conflict associated with the download. Search Control Panel for System Restore. After you've restored the system, try playing your other games and see how your GPU reacts.

Tip: You can save your local Payday files first via Steam's backup game files and restore them later, or simply re-install the game in its entirety after you've restored and hopefully identified the PC errors.

:icon_frow
                        |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                        sigpic

Comment

@Acreo
                          I've checked the video card for any visual faults or signs. Nothing out of the ordinary.
                          Which is driving me insane to troubleshoot this issue.
                          The monitor is quite new, and tested it. So at least I know its not the monitor.
                          [MENTION=19694]Zippy[/MENTION]
                          I have looked into that. Unfortunately, there weren't any options to revert back to a previously saved restore point. There weren't any to revert back to. Even though some were shown, which were restore points made after the PayDay2 install.

I'm going to investigate further...

Comment

Pretty sure your initial assessment is right. It shouldn't be a hardware issue if it works in safe mode, even with a low resolution.

I would suggest you run Combofix on your PC first.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...ombofix/dl/12/

Give that a shot, and we'll go from there.

Mom
                            Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                            Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                            Forever Perplexed

Comment

As electronic components heat up and cool down, they will extend and contract. This may result in intermittent loss of contact between the parts on a circuit board.

When you run games, the video card gets hot due to intense processing. That heat may cause issues.

What you need to do is run STRESS TESTs. Just because your card works in safe mode (when it is relatively cold) does not mean that there is not a problem with it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X