No announcement yet.

Linux Mint Issues.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint Issues.

So I have been messing around with the Linux distros Ubuntu and Linux Mint Debian Edition. I like LMDE but it is giving me some serious issues and being a Linux novice does not really help. I am trying to install it in alongside Windows.

During installation from USB, I've noticed that it will only allow you to install it to one drive. I am trying to put /boot/efi and / on one of my ssd's* and my /home folder on my bigger hdd on an ext4 partition. Unfortunately, I did not know how to do that, so I've been lurking around the internet and this seems to be my solution but it does not work properly. I finally got thru the guide(after a couple of tries and reinstalls) and when I tried to login after a restart, it would not allow me to login. Something about ignoring the /home folder because of permissions etc etc. Does anybody know how to do this properly? Also, are there any other /folders I should do the same to as well?

*btw, does anybody know all the optimizations that I need or should do for ssd's and Linux mint?

On to another question; when I install it, I put the bootloader grub in sda as that does not seem to bother anything. But to change OSes, I have to change it in the BIOS. Does it matter where I stick the GRUB? As in should I put in my /boot/efi partition or where my windows install is or what?

Sorry if I am asking many questions at once, I have been using DOS then Windows for most of my life so I know very little about Linux. I am taking Computer Science in college right now, and I figure I might as well learn Linux as I see having to learn/use it in my near future.
    "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." -Man's Prayer Red Green Show
    "Quando omni flunkus moritati" -When all else fails, play dead. -Red Green Show
    [Link to my Youtube!]
    [Link to my Twitch!]

Re: Linux Mint Issues.

Ok, Scratch. Stop what you are doing and consider not making another partition. You will make things harder for you.

Consider using VMware and creating two different virtual partitions for the purpose of installing Ubuntu on one drive and Debian on another. This way, if you mess one up, you can delete it and you will not have messed up the rest of a drive.

This is seriously a better way to learn how to use Linux, because if you mess up, you can reload a copy of the Linux, plus you can get you host OS to open a web browser and see solutions to problems.

You can still access the internet, you can run different programs on that virtual machine and if you want to test something a little fishy, the virtual machine is isolated. That being said, you can set aside your worry about the SSD. You basically can place the virtual partition in any drive on the computer. Linux does not necessarily require the use of an SSD, large partitions can appreciate a little benefit if placed on an SSD. If you want to do that, consider only doing so if you absolutely need to or if you are working on a Vista or recent Server OS.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: Linux Mint Issues.

If you are trying to install on your ssd and hdd, then you need to resize the existing partitions on those drives. Aka, make the primary partition on your SSD and HDD smaller, so you can create a secondary partition on each to install and play with Linux Mint. Otherwise, I'd suggest using VirtualBox or VMWare like [MENTION=14958]BeSiege82[/MENTION] suggested.

If you have a older system or laptop you don't use, use that to play with Linux. Saves you headaches with resized partitions and bootloaders.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed