Thoughts on NAS build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on NAS build

Hey all, I have been toying with the idea of setting up a backup system at the house for backups of all the computers and laptops as well as movies, music etc. I decided to setup a NAS to have the ability to access the files from anywhere. This is the box I am looking at HERE I am going to put two 1TB drives in setup in RAID1 for storage redundancy. Anyone have any input on the box itself? It has decent reviews, but I take all of them with a grain of salt. For my budget it fits I just want to see if anyone knows anything else about them. I/E will it melt to my desk when I get it home lol.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Re: Thoughts on NAS build

I have been looking at a NAS system as well. Check out Synology. They seem to have a great OS for their products that has a ton of features and funtionality.
    Synology DiskStation DS214se Diskless System Network Storage - Newegg.com
    Synology - Network Attached Storage (NAS)
    Viking

Comment

Buffalo's NAS is decent. Their firmware/OS is "simplistic" according to some users. You might have to dig around the control panel to find some advanced settings.

I will have to second [MENTION=18894]DaViking[/MENTION]'s Synology recommendation. I'd take their NAS boxes over Buffalo's any day of the week, especially considering you're probably not an average user.

My recommendation for hard drives: Get a NAS oriented drive. I'd recommend Western Digital's Red drives. Those have features designed for NAS systems, a 3 year warranty, and also come with 24/7 phone support if you do run into a problem down the road. Here is a detailed review: AnandTech | Western Digital Red Review: Are NAS-optimized HDDs Worth the Premium?
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks guys. I have some stuff to look up while at work now

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

So I spent a few hours looking at synology stuff and the ones in my price range have some awesome features and the interface is very cool looking. The only thing I don't like is the drives are not hot swappable. I would have to power it all down to do any replacement/upgrade work. But I honestly don't think that is a major turn off point for me. Thanks for the info guys I will post up when I finally pick one and get it setup

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
            So I spent a few hours looking at synology stuff and the ones in my price range have some awesome features and the interface is very cool looking. The only thing I don't like is the drives are not hot swappable. I would have to power it all down to do any replacement/upgrade work. But I honestly don't think that is a major turn off point for me. Thanks for the info guys I will post up when I finally pick one and get it setup
            If you are going to be doing a lot of hot swapping, then don't build a traditional NAS. Instead build a SFF (small form factor) machine, install FreeNAS OS, and hook up a couple of multi-terabyte USB external hard drives. It would be overall cheaper if you need to frequently unplug the drives to use them on other machines. Besides, if you are not careful and you remove a HDD from a hot-swap bay while it is still writing, you could just end up with totally junk data on that drive.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah won't be swapping out a lot. This is mainly for automated stuff and better drop box functions. All the PC's and Laptops will be synced for backups and one folder drag drop storage on a network drive.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X