Gigabit Fiber

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabit Fiber

Well, the local bell here rolled gigabit fiber and I just got it installed. This is nothing more than a shameless brag post.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Re: Gigabit Fiber

I am so jel right now. Dammit! Why can't I get Gigabit fiber! DAMN YOU COMCAST! DAAAMMNN YOU!

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
    [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
    [support]

Comment

You have got to be kidding....drool.....

55 down here, 10 up.... that is soooo unfair! We can only pay a whole lot more to get +5 Mbs here at a max of 15 up. Enjoy! Lan party at your house!
      |TG-189th| Unkl
      ArmA 3 Game Officer
      Dean of Tactical Gamer University
      189th Infantry Brigade Member
      SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
      "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I want fiber at an affordable price too! Unfair that AT&T and Comcast have a strangle hold here in Chicago over our broadband choices.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Damonte View Post
          Well, the local bell here rolled gigabit fiber and I just got it installed. This is nothing more than a shameless brag post.

That is about the lamest awesome thing I have ever seen. :-)

Comment

Damonte, how much you paying for that fiber connection? Is it FTTH (fiber to the home) or FTTN (fiber to the node)?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Holy Metamucil Batman!

Enjoy!

:icon_frow
              |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Damonte, how much you paying for that fiber connection? Is it FTTH (fiber to the home) or FTTN (fiber to the node)?
                Fiber to the home. They actually pulled my existing phone utility wire and ran fiber all the way to the house from the pole, neatly ran it inside my basement all the way to my patch panel. The technician even mounted the gateway (modem like device) on my patch panel board.

Although, I have to use the provided router/firewall because mine isn't capable of handling NAT traffic over 100 Mbps. It just can't re-write the packet headers fast enough.

#firstworldproblems

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Oh, you poor dear! Whatever will you do! lol
                  "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Damonte View Post
                    Fiber to the home. They actually pulled my existing phone utility wire and ran fiber all the way to the house from the pole, neatly ran it inside my basement all the way to my patch panel. The technician even mounted the gateway (modem like device) on my patch panel board.

Although, I have to use the provided router/firewall because mine isn't capable of handling NAT traffic over 100 Mbps. It just can't re-write the packet headers fast enough.

#firstworldproblems
                    You still haven't said how much you pay per month!

Hmm, FTTH. Now that's the way to go! Time for you to get a new AC router. ;) I can easily suggest the TP-LINK Archer C7 (v2) AC1750 router.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I pay $85/mo for the internet connection a la carte.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        I can easily suggest the TP-LINK Archer C7 (v2) AC1750 router.
                        I have my eye on this: NETGEAR AC3200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Router (R8000)

Comment

$85?! OMG, I'm so jelly right now. I'm paying $70 for a 25/5 cable connection.

That high-end Nighthawk is also nice, but I deemed it too expensive given it doesn't drastically outperform routers that are cheaper than it. In the end, 5 GHz offers worse penetration of solid objects and decreased overall range compared with 2.4 GHz. Either way, you'll eventually have to rely on repeaters to help ensure good coverage of your home network at optimal strength and quality.

Keep in mind, routers at $100 to $180 perform very similarly to the highest end routers such as that Nighthawk X6. The number of AC devices that support that high of a transfer stream are non-existent (if you discount other AC routers and network gear).
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

With big cable in charge, I won't see that performance at that price in my lifetime...if I ever even get FTTH.
                            |TG|Melee
                            Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...