Suggestions for buying new headset

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for buying new headset

My current set is a Soundblaster Tactic 3D Alpha. This is my second set, the first lasted well over two years before the left head band broke. Second set barely last 6 months. So I am done with Soundblaster, yet again.

What I am looking for:
    1. Good sound reproduction, I also use them to listen to music when I travel to schools or deployments and I likes it nice and LOUD man...like up to 11 loud.
    2. Would like to have surround sound. I know its not the same as having 5.1 speakers and I know most headsets use software to recreate surround sound. I just want your opinions on what you hear or what you think are the better ones.
    3. Im not set on wireless, but I wouldn't mind cutting the cord for the right price.
    4. Prefer a set that has both USB and 3.5mm, see #2 for why the 3.5mm
    5. Price needs to stay below $150.

Tell me what and try to explain why. I want TGs experience and not what some reviewer at some website has to say. Im also looking for any issues you may have had. The other reason why I dont always like reviews is they dont give you the long term durability aspect. The Tactics were nice, they just didnt hold up.

|TG-IRR|

Re: Suggestions for buying new headset

#4 is going to be hard to meet at < $150 price point. Often times, it's either USB or analog 3.5 mm. The few headsets that have either are going to be usually top-of-the-line ones that likely cost more than $150.

With that said, you want to listen to music on the go with them. In that case, I think you'll probably want to invest in two headsets: one for gaming and one for music listening. What's necessarily good for gaming (surround sound, 5.1, etc) isn't good for music (which is stereo). So having a surround sound set is going to make your music sound like you're in a cave or bathroom listening to it (hollow, echo-y sounding).

As for loud, that depends on your hardware audio source. If you have a device that has a decent op-amp built-in, you can probably drive higher impedance phones well. On the other hand, if you don't, you'll want to invest in a portable headphone amplifier.

What kind of music do you enjoy most?

A lot of headphones are geared towards certain styles of music rather than trying to be good at every genre. So it's important to know what you like to listen to most. If you're looking for a all-rounder for most music, then you'll want to look for neutral and balanced sounding headphones. Sennheiser for example is known to produce very neutral and analytical headphones (details sounds well - aka you might hear instruments in the background you might not have noticed before).

With that explanation out of the way, my own suggestions:

$71 - Corsair Vengeance 1400 (for gaming): Amazon.com: Corsair Vengeance 1400 Gaming Headset (CA-9011123-NA-Y): Computers & Accessories

I have the Vengeance 1300 (same as the 1400 but with leather earpads instead of microfiber). Actually the in-line volume knob and microphone mute thingymabob seems to be a cheaper looking version of the one that came with my 1300s (though I'm sure it's the same quality if not better). Great quality sound. Very balanced and neutral, though slightly veiled at the low mids. Ideal for most ranges of music unless you're a bass head. 32 ohm impedance and 50mm neodymium drivers with analog 3.5 mm jacks. I highly suggest a dedicated sound card.

$63 - JVC HA-RX900 (for music): Amazon.com: JVC HARX900 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone: Electronics

I'm assuming you're into bassier music since you mentioned "loud". Both the HA-RX700 (which I own) and the HA-RX900 are great at producing bass. These offer big earcups with very soft leather padding. The design is actually ported, so it's not a true closed-back design (so there is sound leakage especially at higher volumes). The ported design lends to deeper and richer bass reproduction. I find it's more of a laid-back feel, so they aren't quite up to a fast staccato drum beat, but they do well enough in most tracks. Jazz/Vocal jazz I find particularly nice on these headphones, along with a range of mid-tempo'd bassier tracks. Vocals have a nice softer touch to them but also present a decent soundstage. In this case, the soundstage is more forward and personal (as if you're in right there with the person singing).

Keep in mind these are 64 ohm resistance phones. You'll want a good hardware source with a decent op-amp to drive these. Most phones and mp3 players might struggle to get the best performance out of these which in turn means you'll have to raise the volume higher than with other headphones to get the desired performance. Alternatively, you can invest in a relatively inexpensive headphone amplifier to help drive these phones with your favorite audio player. A great starter headphone amp would be the FiiO E6 ($27): Amazon.com: FiiO E6 Fujiyama Portable Headphone Amplifier - Black: Electronics

Total: $134 (assuming you have Prime or take advantage of the free shipping).
    Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 10-11-2014, 03:16 AM.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The music I listen to runs the gamut, from rock, blues, oldies, and some country(old country western) or rap. I dont really care for heavy bass, am more into a balanced sound. I just like it loud.

Thanks for the recommendations Acreo, it gave me some food for thought. The Corsair line has been at the top of my list for a while. The ones I have in mind are the Vengeance 2100, Logitech G930, Razer BlackShark, or Razer Kraken 7.1

|TG-IRR|

Comment

I was looking at buying these at one time but decided to save more and got something else (headphones only, would need a mic):
        Grado sr80
        AT m50x

If you are set on a headset, I would probably look at the one Acreo linked
        Last edited by DaViking; 10-12-2014, 11:41 PM.
        Viking

Comment

The Grado SR80 is good starter audiophile-ish set. Not neutral, though. It is considered "warm" and a bit of a V-delta to the sound signature (means it's good for most popular music). They rest on your ears on foam pads and leak sound (they are open back phones).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have decided on the Corsair Vegeance 2100. Reviews indicate they have good sound. Not great, but neutral. Not amplified and no bass boost. They have a good wireless signal, and several reviews indicate they have better than average surround sound.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Those look pretty good. It would be nice not to miss any of the action for a change, when getting up to go get a freshie. :)

Please report back after you have had a chance to use them a bit, I am looking into headsets (and other things) as well.
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I've had them for a long while. The Bluetooth works good, almost too good if you ask some of the people on TS.
                doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Yeah, I've added those to my build. Between them and the Logitechs, it seems the Logitechs might have some issue where they keep disconnecting or something. So I will give the Corsair's a try. They seem nice and have lots of favorable reviews.
                  "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Bein, once you get this, have you thought about any other sound stuffs?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X