Win 7 Clean Install w/BSOD's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 7 Clean Install w/BSOD's

I'm working through some computer issues and I thought I'd post up here for input, advice or anything you want to point out that might help.

rig

I7 960 CPU
    Asus P6X58D Motherboard
    Corsair Dominator 6GB RAM DDR3 1600
    EVGA GTX 470
    Win 7 Pro
    Optiarc DVD/CD Rom Drive
    Vertex 3 SSD
    Vertex LE SSD
    Corsair HX750 modular power supply
    Samsung 24 Inch monitor

Scenario: Playing BF 4 and ARMA like usual. During a BF4 session experienced a soft crash linked to graphics driver failure. Worked fine upon reboot.
    Next day happened again. Worked fine upon reboot. Next day BSOD reportedly caused by graphics driver. Downloaded new Nivida Driver for the card then I installed and rebooted into a BSOD.

Tried to isolate by using safe mode then decided to just do a fresh install of windows and start from scratch. Did that and system seemed to run fine as I installed the chipset drivers, the Marvell drivers and the audio drivers, while the machine rebooted several times. Reinstalled the newest nvidia drivers then got the BSOD from reboot once again. Booted into Safe mode and she's fine. Remove Nvidia drivers and use native drivers and she seems to work fine.

Then I started looking at the Windows update process. I think I have narrowed it down to the BSOD ocurring after I install the windows update. Now I'm starting to think there is some kind of incapatability with the windows update or a problem with the video card. But If I had a problem with the video card wouldn't there be an issue running in safe mode as well as regular.

This will be some trial and error and I'm not expecting someone can come on and give me a magical fix. I just thought I'd throw this out there and get some feedback to see if maybe I had missed or didn't think about something obvious.

Tonight I will disconnect the other two hard drives and do a clean install with only the C disk.

thanks for any input discussion on this. I'll see you back on the battlefield hopefully later this week.
    Last edited by Grunt 70; 10-27-2014, 01:29 PM.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: Win 7 Clean Install w/BSOD's

PS...I can still boot into safe mode just fine.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
      PS...I can still boot into safe mode just fine.
      Card please

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

oh der...I just wrote EVGA...It's a GTX470...about 3 or 4 years old now. Have not had a single problem with it.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Well I began selectively swapping out hardware component by component. I was fortunate to have all the gear on hand to allow this.

After looking through the event logs it was clear to me it was a video issue. I thought it was driver related but on a hunch I swapped out my gtx470 for an older GTX 280. No more BSOD's so it seems that my GTX470 vid card is down for the count.

Contacting EVGA to see what kind of rma I might be able to manage. I have the original receipt but for some stupid reason I did not register the product when I bought it. Hoping to be back online in BF4 and ARMA in a few days.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

pulled the trigger on a new vid card today.

EVGA superclocked GTX 970 @ $350. Should be in my machine by the weekend. See you back on the battlefield...in super high vid settings!
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed