Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gaming laptop, now or next year with Windows 10...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming laptop, now or next year with Windows 10...

If I wanted to get a backup gaming laptop, mostly for current high end games, IE: DSC, SB Pro PE, CM series... would it be best to get one this year with either Windows 7 or 8.1.... OR wait till next spring when Windows 10 is released, their skipping 9 BTW.... I'm talking more for the long run, thinking of a new laptop for back up and away gaming but also to store ALL my media, like a 2nd drive also. but I want this to last 5 to 8 years, if I can make it last that long.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Gaming laptop, now or next year with Windows 10...

and I just saw this AFTER my post above... what the hell is a laptop amplifier!

Alienware 13 Gaming Laptop | Dell

That's the new Alienware 13 laptop with a laptop amplifier.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

If you can wait it always better to wait, except for all the stuff you miss while waiting.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Lenovo Y50 Laptop | 15.6" High-Performance Gaming Notebook PC*| Lenovo US

better laptop...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
          If you can wait it always better to wait, except for all the stuff you miss while waiting.
          Ha!

Ain't that 'bout the size of it though...
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

As far as the east is from the west stay away from Dell/Alienware. There "amplifier" is a way for their laptops to use a desktop grade graphic card...but not really practical as it only works with Alienware products.

I would recommend higher tier Acer or Asus laptops. You're going to want at least a gtx 760m w/ a intel i7 or higher for playing newer games at med-high settings at a decent framerate.
            Not sure what your price range is, but here is a decent RoG ASUS laptop for $1,100.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
            ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Look, read reviews on how the laptops deal with heat. MSi laptops with single fans are out of the question. Lenovo laptops with dual fans, think the Y40 and Y50 have dual fans. The Y50 with the 800M series can keep temps on the cpu and gpu at around 80 C when playing a game like Crysis 3. The Y50 does not have a DVD drive, but you can buy an external for $20.

Consider this, the 860M is equivalent to the desktop version of the AMD HD7850. The CPU should be an i7. Do not buy an i5, no matter what because i5 CPUs are dual cores.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Besiege are you sure about I5's being dual core? Unless its some laptop variant. I have an I5 750 and its most definitely quad core o/c'd to about 3.9 GHz.

Comment

Laptop i5s are dual core. Desktop are quad(except some of the first generation).

Many laptop i7s are dual core as well. I believe you need to look for a "q" in the CPU model name to signify a quad core mobile chip. Which is what you would want for a heavy duty gaming laptop. Which I personally think is a waste of money if you already have a desktop. To each their own though.
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

MQ and HQ models have the quad cores. Most common haswell quad core right now is the 4700MQ and it is a solid performer.

Comment

I'm playing planetside2 among other games on my laptop while my desktop is in the shop. I have a digital storm custom made gaming laptop its 2 years old I got it for 16 or 18 hundred. But digital storm is my go to for gaming rigs I have 2 DS desktops and the laptop. Check them out.

Comment

xotic pc [dot] com will let you select many different brands and hardware options. They are a PC reseller, they do desktops now too. When I was in afghanistan I ordered a Sager laptop from them and was not disappointed. They worked pretty diligently to get me what I wanted in a timely manner despite having to ship it overseas. Great customer service too.
                        sigpic

Comment

[MENTION=105846]Combaticus[/MENTION]

I have purchased two laptops from them too. Though the laptops eventually became a pain in the butt, the fact that XoticPC was willing to mediate between the company and myself was just fantastic. I purchased an MSI laptop where the power button broke and they got it fixed in no time.

I will warn you, only buy a space ship with two fans.

Comment

One day I'll have them build a ludicrously expensive desktop for me. I'm a very basic system builder. Like on a scale from 1 -10, I can mostly hook up my I/O board right some of the time. All the parts that count though I got right. However for the level of quality I want and the price of the parts, I think I'd let the pros do it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Combaticus View Post
                              One day I'll have them build a ludicrously expensive desktop for me. I'm a very basic system builder. Like on a scale from 1 -10, I can mostly hook up my I/O board right some of the time. All the parts that count though I got right. However for the level of quality I want and the price of the parts, I think I'd let the pros do it.
                              There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

Especially when buying higher end parts, everything will go together nicely. The actual putting together is like legos, it's pretty easy. There are tutorials on NewEgg and in a sticky in this very forum. If you need help with specifying, post up a thread in here and let all us nerds help you out. But it sounds like you are already specifying what you want them to build. To me the research is half of the fun of it.
                              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X