Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need tech help - Computer Won't Boot!

Dear TG,

I am asking for your technical assistance.

Last night my PC worked. Got home from work today and suddenly when I press the power/Start button nothing happens. It simply will not boot, no fans begin to turn, nothing hums. Simply nothing happens at all. Like I never pressed the button.

I know some power is making it to the PC because a small light next to the Ethernet cable is on, and a small green light in the interior is on. But they stay on as long as the computer is plugged in, whether or not it is turned on.

Any ideas on what part failed or what to do?
    I miss Planetside2 and ArmA3 already, and its only been one night.

Thanks,
    Garthra
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Re: Need tech help - Computer Won't Boot!

Garthra, please give us your technical information for your hardware. If we know what motherboard you have, we might be able to start from there. If you have other hardware that is not needed for the computer to run, try removing that. If you have a sound card or wifi card or some other type of unneeded type of hardware such as storage hard drives, unplug them from the motherboard and power supply. The goal is to check what might be the problem by removing any and all non-vital part of the computer. Also, look for a manual for the motherboard, as that should be able to show some sort of method of testing and trouble shooting. Depending on the model of motherboard, you might have a switch that starts the computer with initializing the extra parts of the computer. This is just trouble shooting. You should be able to figure out if it is the power supply or faulty connections. While you have your computer open, look for any and all weird marks on your motherboard. This could be a case of something burning out. If scorching or heat fracturing on the board happened, then it might be the cause. If you have low power, then you might need a new power supply.

Just check the seating of the ram, check connections of power cords to vital hardware, check the cord that connects the case power button to the motherboard. Check that things are clean. Have you cleaned your power supply recently?

removing or disconnecting non-vital hardware can help protect them while you are digging in the case.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

First...and I am not joking! Is it plugged in?

Do you have another power supply you can plug into your computer? I always like to start from where the power enters the PC and work into the machine.

Todd
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
        First...and I am not joking! Is it plugged in?

Do you have another power supply you can plug into your computer? I always like to start from where the power enters the PC and work into the machine.

Todd
        For that matter, do you have any proper tools that can measure power coming from the outlet? Be mindful that these are actual tools meant to be plugged into the wall and not something that is handheld...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

No I do not have proper tools. Yes it is plugged in. Technical specs will have to wait until I find my records.
          The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Remove everything except:

Mainboard/CPU/RAM/Power supply

Press power button. Does the power come on?

If yes:

Start adding devices back one at a time

If no:

One of the remaining devices is bad and you will have to swap them out with a known good one at a time

Sometimes you can just take the whole thing apart and put it back together and it will work. As some connection has either come loose, been infiltrated by dust, or built up static.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

If I was to bet on the problem I would guess power supply. Even a bad one can illuminate the motherboard LEDs. Hopefully if it is the power supply it failed quietly and not like a rampaging beast eating other components.

While you are inside I would also take a look at the capacitors on the motherboard (usually small cylinders) If the board did take a hit from the power supply or another outside source they have a good chance to show failure. They should all look exactly alike by type. If any are bloated or have anything coming out of them you know you might have a board issue also.

If you have another power supply sitting around I would test with that. You could also try a local computer shop and see if they can test the power supply for you.
              |TG-12th| Sawviper

Comment

Yep I had 2 power supplies go out on me before and it does that. Power supplies aren't built to last even if you blow out your pc on a regular basis. But I do own birds and Both of my Tv's have gone out on me from the massive dust they put out :/ Anyway yeah Power supplies are one of the cheaper parts in your PC to replace make sure its enough power for your setup. If you have upgraded over time you might have put in another piece of hardware that draws extra power. Put Up specs like he said and someone can tell you what size you need. Other wise what Namebot says should get you straight.

FUN FUN

Comment

Fixed. Really do not know why. It just started working again. Suspect loose connection.

Comment

Either that, or flaky power supply getting ready to go.
                    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X