Upgrade Feedback/Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Feedback/Advice

Hello all. RL keeps getting in the way but I'm slowly getting back some gaming time. Sorry for the forum silence for so long...

Did a decent build back in 2010 and RL is finally allowing some piece by piece upgrades as the budget allows (3 growing kids tends to suck discretionary income pretty regularly and they come first).

So I'll info vomit and would love to get some feedback and advice.

I'm just running stock cooler...

MB is BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 AM3 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com
    CPU is AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb Quad-Core 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Processor HDX925WFGIBOX - Newegg.com
    4GB RAM

The good news is just this week I upgraded from my aging Radeon 6850 to an R9 270 that OCs well. It has the Rewards deal that comes with 3 games so I think I'll take advantage of Star Citizen being one of them to get my foot in the door of SC without much additional investment right now.

Would it be worth the investment in an aftermarket cooler so I could potentially squeeze more out of it? Or since it's AM3 do I look at a cheap upgrade to the CPU, although it's going to have to be really cheap to not just try to squeeze out what I can from the current CPU for a while.

I mostly play BF4 (I'm sure I'll be playing Hardline) and Planetside 2 right now. I've got growing kids so life isn't getting any less busy so in the limited gaming time I have I only try to play 1 or maybe 2 games at a time actively.

The only upcoming things I have a major interest in are SC and Hardline really. I think with just the GPU upgrade I'm in pretty good shape for Hardline and it was the biggest initial investment short of MB/CPU and I really can't justify the cost of doing them right now.

Next best investment would seem to be upgrading to 8GB of RAM since RAM is fairly cheap these days and I know SC's Arena Commander requires 8GB. Which short of CPU/GPU leaves HDD. I upgraded to a 120GB primary SSD a while back but with games getting bigger I'm getting quickly running out of room and the performance is so much better with an SSD and with SSD prices falling I'm looking at snagging a 250GB SSD and moving away from non-SSD drives entirely. I really don't need much more then that as I also have a external 1TB HDD I use for backups of critical stuff and the desktop machine only gets used for gaming and surfing/e-mail, etc.

Looks like I could get a decent 250GB SSD and an 8GB RAM stick for <$200 and that's what I have left in the budget after the GPU upgrade at least for the next 6 months or so.

Any thoughts or suggestions you have are appreciated.

Re: Upgrade Feedback/Advice

Well, if you want, you can get a hexacore for relatively cheap for your motherboard.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

You' ve got a pretty decent vid card. I'd go for a bigger SSD.

I wiped my c drive clean and did a complete reinstall recently. My BF4 folder alone was like 45 GBs...Yikes.
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

My reasoning is that you can get more life out of the PC you have with the 6 core and so you can save for a better Intel or amd system in 2016. Try getting a 6 core that has a speed of 3ghz or above.

*2016 is when star citizen comes out and the true replacement for the FX-series of 8 cores will be released.*

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

TA790GXB3 :: Motherboard :: BIOSTAR

mainboard cpu support list

https://forums.robertsspaceindustrie...n-star-citizen

supposed minimum requirements for star citizen

Look like your idea to buy at least 8 GB or ram is spot on. Officially the board doesn't supoprt AMD x6.
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

The bios update was rumped to make it work, but I guess a little digging is in order

Comment

Ok, here is my new suggestion. Upgrade the motherboard to a 970 for about $60 USD. When you get the chance to upgrade the cpu to something better but budget, then go for it. Wait until 2016 to do a full replacement, since most AMD and probably a good portion of Intel will be on the losing side of the war on performance. That is to say, since you are interested in Star Citizen, you will probably hear many of us talking about upgrading our computers.

This is a Biostar TA970 board, which though it isn't a high end board, it is meant to keep you going for a while. I like biostar. This board will take all of your current parts and will allow you to upgrade to a newer, relatively cheap CPU.
              BIOSTAR TA970 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com

Comment

So if I have this MB...

BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 AM3 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

This RAM should work fine shouldn't it?

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules) 649528755988 - Micro Center)

Seems like a good price for a good brand.

Comment

thumbs up

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X