DSL for gaming?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL for gaming?

I'm considering changing from Time Warner Cable to either AT&T U-Verse DSL or Extreme DSL. Does anyone have anything to share about either of those two ISPs, particularly in regards to online gaming?

Also, Extreme DSL offers the option of 5 static IP addresses for $15 more per month than a single dynamic IP address. Does anyone have any input on which one makes the most sense for a family with numerous internet connected devices?
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: DSL for gaming?

I can offer you no knowledge about ATT DSL usage recently in the San Diego area. I can say that ATT offers DSL service in my area that should meet the bandwidth and latency criteria to play online games. Generally you would know if you wanted more than one static IP, since you don't I'd say you don't.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

The point is I don't know the pros/cons of static vs. dynamic. Also, does it matter how many static IPs I have if I need to support a house full of devices?
      |TG|Melee

Comment

You don't need a static IP. Even if you want to run your own server or something, you can always use some sort of DNS redirect service for free or cheap. So you can achieve the same thing, without paying the $15 extra per month.

It doesn't matter how many devices you have on your internal network. Your gateway router will route the traffic to the appropriate device. If you want to be able to reach one of them specifically from the outside, you set up port forwarding on your router.
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

There is no simple answer although I tried to deliver one above. If you are seeking more knowledge these would be some decent articles to start with.

IP address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Network address translation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There a multitude of uses for multiple static IP addresses. The question is whether you plan to make use of them and if they are valuable enough to you to pay the extra fee. My vague statement above tried to address that.
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
            You don't need a static IP. Even if you want to run your own server or something, you can always use some sort of DNS redirect service for free or cheap. So you can achieve the same thing, without paying the $15 extra per month.
            Thanks Randy, that's what I was looking to answer.
            |TG|Melee

Comment

Personally, I'd recommend avoiding AT&T like the plague. They don't have a very good reputation for a reason. They do line maintenance and such somewhat irregularly and do not inform their customer base in any meaningful way. When you finally do call in, half the time they don't even know it's being performed and will inform you "oh nothings wrong on our end". I've experience several outages every year for the 13+ years I've used them. Although Comcast has its own issues, at least you don't get a the runaround for hours on end when you ask to be elevated to level 2 or level 3 tech support. Level 1 is terrible. Logic and thinking never seems to enter into the equation for the support staff. After you've run through the usual methods already (as a techie) and then run through it again several times with them...well suffice to say it's extremely frustrating.

Suffice to say, this is how most phone tech support in my experience with AT&T has been:

Tech Support: "Oh well, this should have fixed it. Well, let's try again."
              Me: "No, we are not trying this for the 5th time again. Elevate me to Level 2. I want a tech that actually knows what they are doing and knows about the tech involved."
              Tech Support: "Sure, let me transfer you."
              *waits some time*
              Tech Support: "Welcome to AT&T, how may I help you?"
              Me: *OMG...facepalm...level 1 again.*
              *more runarounds*
              Level 2 Tech Support: "So, I hear you're having _____________ problems, let me check _____________."

On top of terrible customer service, have you looked at the price per Mbit you are paying? It's higher than most other offerings from competitors such as Comcast. Oh and you have a 150 GB cap each month. No rollover. You get charged $10 per GB you go over with a maximum overcharge cap of $400 (last I read). So you could get a rather large bill at he end of the month. Their online usage meter is way off. The last several months I had them, they had just rolled out the usage cap and I had a custom Tomato firmware on my router at the time. I compared the router's bandwidth stats with AT&T's and its appalling the discrepancies. There were a couple of months where I clearly went 50-100 GBs over the cap, but AT&T meter reports that I still have 20-50 GBs left. The rest of the time, I barely used 50 GBs and AT&T reported that I had used several hundred GBs.

Keep in mind, I share my house connection with family so I'm not the only one using the bandwidth. 150 GBs nowhere near enough given today's high bandwidth apps (streaming is a prime example).

As for DSL for gaming in general, it can be good, assuming you have a decent down and up speed. I'd say at least 3 Mbits down and a 256 KB/s up is required nowadays for decent ping. Now if you have other gamers etc in the house, then I'd go for a much larger package, say 12 Mbits and upwards.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm generally happy with TWC, though I get terrible ping spikes (999) in BF4 on our server, but I don't know that it's their fault since I've heard from others that experience the same problem. I have 15/5, so I don't think that's the issue. More than anything I want leverage to get a better rate and maybe higher speeds. What we pay in the US is a joke compared to many countries.
                |TG|Melee

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...