PSU Died

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU Died

So I think my PSU finally died. Computer shuts off when powering up after a few seconds. Gonna pull it and see if the IT peeps at work have a tester for it. Any of you have any good PSU suggestions for my next one?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Re: PSU Died

I' ve been very happy with the Corsair Modular series. I think my model number is hx750. This is the second build with it and it's going strong.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...A&gclsrc=aw.ds
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I have this PSU and I like it.

XFX ProSeries P1-1050-BEFX 1050W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Depending on the brand of PSU you have Dredge, you might still have a warranty. Which means you could get a replacement.

It's a bit pricier than the HX750 above (Grunt's suggestion), but I have Corsair's AXi series PSU in the 760W model: CORSAIR AXi series AX760i 760W Digital ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready - Newegg.com.

It's $149.99 right now and I paid about as much for mines. The i stands for intelligent, meaning you can use Corsair Link with it and get some detailed stats about the PSU's current functions. Plus it seems to be a single-rail design until the modular railing of the AX regular series. And this particular series has a 7-year warranty to match the pricey tag (same as the AX regular lineup). I had to replace my original AX750 a couple of months after I got it and they did a crossship.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Does it still shut off if you pop in a recovery disk? It's possible it's not the PSU, but something else triggering a power-down.
            Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

The test for a bad PSU is to place a known good PSU in its place. There are devices that you can plug into the connectors of a PSU that check to make sure that voltages are within specification, but if they don't actually place a load on it then that is only half the battle.

When I go to buy one I check to find what is on sale at various retailers and compare it against reviews. The guys at:

JonnyGURU.com - Seasonic Snow Silent 1050W Review

do a pretty bang up job.
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

It's out of warranty and no I don't have another one to test. I used to but not any more. so I'm hopefull that it is in fact a PSU issue and I can get it back on it's feet with a new one

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Sounds kinda like what happened to mine, a few years ago. The rig would randomly shut off and wouldn't stay on. I was a bit perplexed as to why it kept doing that. Didn't even think it was the PSU until I smelled something burning and noticed smoke coming out of the back of the case. I think I heard it pop too, if I remember correctly. All I remember is that the thing was so hot, I could've fried an egg on it. Never had one fry on me like that. They've usually just quit without the fireworks. Well, there's a first time for everything, I suppose.

If ya got a Micro Center in your area, check there. They usually have hella-deals on stuff. That's where I got my replacement. Granted, it's nothing special, (Diablotek brand). But it was on sale for a pretty low price, I was low on cash at the time and just wanted to get the rig back up and running. It's still going strong and I've had no issues with it. Gonna replace it though with something better at some point.
                  |TG|FullMetalDrummer

That one drummer guy who spins his hair and hits things with sticks

sigpic

Comment

If you were in MA I'd let you use one of my older ones for testing. In fact I'll send it to you to borrow if that helps. I would want it back as it will go in another build someday. Let me know.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Rosewill PHOTON Series PHOTON-750 750W Continuous @40C,80 PLUS Gold Certified, Full Modular Design, Single +12V Rail,ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V v2.92,SLI Ready, Crossfire Ready, Active-PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

$90

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Replaced the PSU today a good buddy bought me one as a late christmas present. Plugged it all up, turned it on and heard the CPU fan pop. Unplugged it all and found that one of the pin connectors popped out and it's effectively useless now

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

cpu died? So what was the root of the problem?

Comment

So you lost a CPU fan pin on the mobo or on the fan connector? If it's the former, then you need to get a replacement mobo. If it's the latter, just get a new CPU fan.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Cpu is good, just the cooling system isn't atm. Have to replace stuff on that now

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X