No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting

So I've had this computer since I built it in 2006. I have upgraded some pieces since then. The PSU is the oldest piece which was installed in 2006.

So last night it started giving me some trouble. While watching a movie the screen blacked out and when it came back on. It displayed a windows message about how the driver had crashed but it had recovered. This started and i immediately began looking for an answer. Unfortunately the driver kept on crashing and I was unable to search for a problem.

This kept on going pretty much all night. I then started to systematically taking out parts to see if anything could designated as the 'problem'. Since it was the graphics driver I decided to remove the GPU and try it out. I replaced it with another card I had and it works.

But i still get ärtifacts" on the screen. They look like pixels that aren't displaying correctly. Though they are in a pattern and not just randomly strewn across the screen.
    Also, the boot screen has some of the letters either missing or displaying characters that should not be there.
    For example: time 01:30 is displayed as t&9@ ?2:3^

CPU: AMD Quadcore Phenom II X4 Black Edition 3.2GHz
    MOBO: Biostar TA790GX A3+
    Memory: 4GB
    Storage: 5 Drives (4TB)
    GPU: Nvidia 9800GTX
    PSU: PC Power and Cooling 720 EPS12V
    100 - 240 V 50/60 Hz
    [email protected],[email protected],[email protected], [email protected],[email protected]

-*** The current reading on the PSU:
    CPU Core: 1.34V
    +3.3 V: 3.39V
    +5 V: 4.97V
    +12V: 12.10V

20150127_095420 by Agapito_S, on Flickr
    This was this morning.

I tried to take a follow up pic right now. But the trouble pixels are few and far between and they're green. So they aren't showing up very well on black or white.

Re: Troubleshooting

Both video cards create the same problem or different problems?

If the symptoms are different you may have 2 separate problems on 2 different video cards.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Is there on board video on that mobo? Maybe try that also?
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

My guess is that the memory on the graphics card has gone bad. Try another graphics card.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed