[build help] home NAS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [build help] home NAS

Looking to build a NAS for home use. I've been reading a lot of accounts from what I can find but I'm sure there are people here with more knowledge and experience. Your insight/feedback would be greatly appreciated! Note: I am comfortable with building computers, have built several, know about pieces parts. But I'm probably not up to date on current hardware, and some of the more detailed/nuanced specifics.

reason: I have a lot of music that i would like to be able to access on other computers. Currently my music (~60gb) is on my desktop (PC). If i ever want to access it on my laptop (Mac; macbook is a ssd, so it doesnt make sense to copy the music to it), which i use everyday for more common tasks around the house, i then have to have both computers on. or if i want to airplay it to my TV/sound system as well.

Have a decent sized video library as well (havent checked the size recently). I have a raspberry pi lying around so i recently installed kodi on it to use as a htpc. I would like to be able to stream media to the TV, and can currently but again, requires going to turn on my desktop in the other room. i'm looking to upgrade the htpc as well at some point, the raspberrypi does the job but not extremely well. i've heard the amazon firetv is good for the price point. I would probably also digitize my dvd collection if i build the NAS for easy access via the htpc.

lastly i have a large photo library. digital RAW files along with scans of 35, 120 and 4x5 film. Being able to easily access this as well would be a nice ability. I could work on projects from my laptop (i do my editing on mac) without the need of the ext. hdd

Trying to do this on a lower budget (maybe 500-600 but could spend more) I've been looking at a number of hardware components. Looking at using FreeNAS for the OS. With budget in mind i've been looking at mini-itx boards and cases. thermaltake case v21, fractal design node 804. I've avoided NAS cases with removeable bays because of price point and given my use, the removable bay feature will probably not be that useful to me.

questions: for cpu/mainboard i was looking at lower end hardware. After reading this article , it seems to make sense to look at server cpus/boards. he points out that these are made to run 24/7. What would you suggest for the cpu/mobo? would an intel atom do the job? should i be looking at the lower end server hardware? or would normal desktop components be fine?

I've heard different accounts to using a usb-drive or a ssd for the boot/os drive. opinions?

regarding storage i was looking at nas grade hdd. suggestions for brands? I havent bought new hardware in years so i'm a little unfamiliar with quality but i have been looking at WD and seagate. Any thoughts on RAID setups? I'm familiar with the concept but unsure what would benefit me most. I am aware that raid is not a backup solution rather data redundancy. That being said, would you suggest this for my situation?

Is this worth the time/money investment? Or should i continue to just turn on my desktop when i want to access music/videos and continue with my photo library on an external hdd? Are there alternative solutions I should be considering instead? Anyone in a similar situation? how do you share you media accross multiple devices? opinions on kodi vs plex.tv?

Re: [build help] home NAS

let me know how things turn out. I am looking at building a SAN for somebody and I am wondering how it is like to build a NAS.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I am also following this thread with interest (maybe one day...).
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

glad there's interest.. I'll have to report back once I finally figure this out more

Comment

Any opinions on boards from ASRock and supermicro? i have not personally used these brands.

Comment

Supermicro seems to be default choice for many when it comes to server builds. ASRock is essentially ASUS boards in terms of quality with a lot of experimental features before they are well matured. As with any brand boards, if you are looking at budget (or even bottom of the barrel) boards, I'd advise spending more. Quality really drops when you dip below $50.

Since this looks to be desktop hardware and not actual server-oriented use, I wouldn't even consider buying a Supermicro unless it has some server-side hardware that you can't live without.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Leave your computer on and set to go to sleep. Then set it up so you can wake it remotely with your phone or htpc device.
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                let me know how things turn out. I am looking at building a SAN for somebody and I am wondering how it is like to build a NAS.
                Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                I am also following this thread with interest (maybe one day...).
                [MENTION=14958]BeSiege82[/MENTION] [MENTION=33568]Randy_Shughart_ClwFL[/MENTION] thought i'd update you two, if you're even still interested, as i've (finally) purchased the hardware. had some set backs but now i've got it. This is my setup (let me know if this link doesnt work. i had issues before sharing newegg wishlists). If you do go for this board, it has a rather long bootup before you get any visual on the display. I thought there was an issue at first but it turned out to be okay. that being said it was much easier to access it via ipmi, so i would recommend that. It's easily upgradeable for more ram like this, if you were to double it you'd get 32gb but the board goes to 64 i believe. A few things I realized after purchasing everything (yea, i should have thought of this before but..) this power supply only has 4 sata power connections, so while the case can fit 6 drives, and the board has 12 sata ports (though only 6 are intel, I think i read to use those over the other six) you'd run into an issue with power. I'd also really recommend a modular psu because this case is small, everything fit just fine but it would have made it much easier. I went with this one because it was the smallest 80 plus gold cert. unit i could find. everything else that was 80+ gold was much larger. Newegg also had a sale on 4x 3tb wd reds three days after i bought my 4x 2tb.. so maybe watch for those.

I've only finished assembling it and running some hardware tests on it (memtest86 and i forget the name of the other). It passed that fine, when i get a free moment this week i'm planning on installing freenas and setting that up.

Comment

looks cool, so what was the cpu?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Intel Avoton C2550 Quad-Core, already built on the board

Comment

Not bad. I overspent on a FreeNAS machine last year after my old storage server's RAID degraded.

CPU: Xeon E3-1225 v3
                      RAM: 24GB ECC
                      Disks: 4x 6TB WD Red

I configured it as RaidZ2 (can survive two drive failures) which means, sadly, the usable disk space is only 10.2 TB. I really wish I had been able to find a good 6 bay system for a reasonable price, in a reasonable size, because 6x 4TB drives in the same RaidZ2 configuration would have delivered a lot more usable space and maybe even cost less, while still retaining the ability to survive two drive failures.

For the most part, it performs fabulously. Maxes out my gigabit LAN easily. I used to occasionally experience painfully slow directory listings, but I solved that about a month ago by:

1. Updating to FreeNAS 9.3 from 9.2
                      2. Following the "#4 Disable DOS attributes-" advice in this thread: http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?...ry-this.27751/

Comment

If its just for streaming media wouldn't something like Plex be much better given thats its free and easy to set up?

I was just recently looking for some kind of system to stream and access my media from anywhere and I found Plex. I even bought the lifetime plex pass, and while its not needed at all it gives you some nice added options.

The only thing I can't do with plex is share files, but for that I have Tresorit.

https://plex.tv/
                        https://tresorit.com/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...