Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor going bad?

I think my monitor is going bad. [Link to monitor]

It's been fine for about the past 3 years or so, without any problems; not even a dead pixel or a flicker. Now all of a sudden, whenever I turn the monitor on, it emits a buzzing noise for a couple of HOURS before it stops. It doesn't just stop neither; it will buzz and then stop, off and on for the last hour or so of buzzing. Then the problem seems to go away until I turn the monitor back on again after having it off for awhile. It's not always a problem, but I get migraines and it feels like a drill is being pressed into my head.

Yes, I've Googled the problem endlessly, and nothing seems to solve it. I've messed with the brightness settings, disabled the speakers in Windows and turned the volume down on the monitor. I've tried messing with the nVidia settings, I think I've tried everything by this point.

I think my baby is dying! :,(

I need a replacement but it seems the industry is abandoning the 16:10 ratio, which I love, for 16:9, which I meh. I also don't have the bazillion dollars I seem to need to get roundabout the same feature set that this one does. (I got a great deal on this way back, it was like $250 I think) I've been looking all over NewEgg and Amazon but I can't seem to find anything that I am happy with. It seems to get everything I want I have to spend nearly $500 American to get anything close to what I have. Either that or I have to balance one thing I want with another.

I need suggestions from you guys, so here is what I am looking for:
    • I am willing to go to 16:9 if I have to.
    • I'd like to try something with a DisplayPort.
    • Definitely less than $500, preferably less than $400, $300 and below you are becoming my best friend; cheaper the better obviously.
    • 27 or more inches, because I code quite a bit and like the extra room.
    • New; not used. I cannot afford another if the replacement goes bad.
    • I do not care what kind of stand it comes with because I want to wall mount it.
    • I also do not care about speakers; Preferably w/o
    • If it comes with cookies, all the better!

Then again, if someone has a magic fix for the buzzing I'd give you the biggest internet bear hug I could!

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
    [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
    [support]

Re: Monitor going bad?

Bummer. Perhaps its something like a failing capacitor somewhere in the monitor? You can find repair kits on ebay if you are comfortable soldering. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer about the buzzing; did they have anything helpful to say about it?

Comment

Open the back and figure out which part is buzzing. Then look for a replacement online.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I just looked, I guess I forgot that it came with a 3 year warranty. Technically, I am a few months shy of that, I wonder if the warranty covers the buzzing? I will check with them first, then I might try repair it myself if it comes to that.

I just never worked on a monitor before. I've got a little experience soldering electronics, it's just that I'd feel really bad if I damaged this beyond repair. Oh well, I was going to buy a replacement anyway.

[support]

Comment

If you are not comfortable with the above (soldering / electronics repair), you may need to reconsider your budget.

Like you, I am a fan of 16:10 monitors. Probably more than you, actually, because I outright refuse to go to 16:9 (in fact, I think 16:9 are an abomination). And it seems that 30" are one of the few sizes in which 16:10s are actually still made.

When you consider that a new Dell 3014 is probably around $1,200 then all of a sudden spending $689 shipped for that Monoprice 30" IPS isn't such a bad deal.

Keep in mind that a monitor is probably one of the least often upgraded parts of your setup, and when you spread that price out over it's useful life (much longer than other components, usually) it's not too bad.

If you still think that's too much money to spend, then you might need to bust out the ol soldering iron... lol
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchnSniff0 View Post
            I just looked, I guess I forgot that it came with a 3 year warranty. Technically, I am a few months shy of that, I wonder if the warranty covers the buzzing?
            See what they would be willing to do, maybe send in for repair or replace it for you under warranty with another model. Explore the warranty avenue first, might be low/no cost...hold off on doing anything warranty voiding until then:)

Comment

A little update for you guys, I called them and they explained(through a very think accent) that the actual warranty is like a year etc etc. Basically the limited warranty I was talking about doesn't apply, and I'd have to pay for repairs, shipping and all that jazz.

So I guess I'll try buying one of those repair kits to see what I can do about it. If that doesn't work I guess I can just buy another monitor.

[support]

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchnSniff0 View Post
                A little update for you guys, I called them and they explained(through a very think accent) that the actual warranty is like a year etc etc. Basically the limited warranty I was talking about doesn't apply, and I'd have to pay for repairs, shipping and all that jazz.

So I guess I'll try buying one of those repair kits to see what I can do about it. If that doesn't work I guess I can just buy another monitor.
                Thanks for the update I was curious what came of the warranty! On an aside, perhaps consider a multiple monitor setup if you need room to code, I run two much older 19"(I already owned), one in a portrait layout with a 23.6" in the middle http://www.tacticalgamer.com/blogs/s...k-refresh.html I find the additional real-estate helpful when working in graphic programs and video editing.

Comment

I just saw the setup in your link there, and I was quite impressed! Your setup is sweet, man! I have a multi-monitor setup now with an older(and very crappy XD) monitor on the side. I've really desired to build my own desk for a long time now too. Pre-built desks always seem to break and never seem to fit my needs anyway, but this inspires me though. Maybe I might just wait until tax refunds come back and see what I can do!

Either way, I'm going to have to bite the bullet if I can't find a repair kit. Anything 27" or above that is 16:10 is in the $600 and up range. 24" seems to be the only thing available for a reasonable price anymore. If I got two monitors on movable stands, then that might be a solution.

[support]

Comment

I bought 3 IPS monitors for around $300 each so far. they have 2560x1440 pixels and IPS panels which means that every one of those pixels is beautiful. They are great for coding - at work I have a pair of them. Just go to Newegg and search for 27" IPS panel.

Comment

I just want to say, I hate shopping for monitors while being broke! I gave up on 27" space and narrowed down my list to these four 24" monitors:
                      • ASUS PA248Q 24-Inch LED-Lit IPS Professional Graphics Monitor [Link]
                      • Dell U2415 Black 24.1" 6ms(GTG) Dual HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor IPS 300 cd/m2 DCR 2,000,000:1 (1000:1), height&Pivot adjustable, Built in USB 3.0 Hub [Link]
                      • Dell UltraSharp U2412M Black IPS Panel 24" 8ms Pivot, Swivel & Height Adjustable LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 2,000,000:1 (1000:1) [Link]
                      • Acer B243PWLAJbmdrz Black 24" 14ms height&pivot adjustable Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor, IPS Panel 300 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers [Link]

They all are around my price range and have around the same features that I want, notably the 16:10 ratio and at least one Displayport. However, the Acer has a 14ms response time, which is kinda huge for gaming. If not for that, with the price it has it would be the best option! Do you guys, or anybody you know, have any experience with monitors with refresh rates like that? Is it worth it?

If you guys had to choose one of these, which one would you pick? Do you guys know any better options (that have the ratio and port mentioned)?

[support]

Comment

I saw the Monoprice 30" 16:10 CCFL monitor on sale for $300 something recently (just a couple days ago). Not sure if it's still on sale or not, but might be worth a look. And, it's not LED but CCFL, but a lot of the reviews say it's fine, maybe just takes a little while to warm up and reach it's full brightness. But hey, what do you want in a 30" monitor for 300 some dollars?

Personally, I'm saving up my nickels for their 30" 16:10 LED version, which is around $600 something (which is still the best deal on a decent 30" monitor). Unless I can talk you into buying this one and then giving me a good review. :) haha
                        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

No one has commented on my last post, but in case any lurkers were looking to get one of those Monoprice monitors, it seems that the 30" CFFL goes on sale for $300 something, but only for 2-3 days at a time. So you will need to set up like a pinx or shopping notes type thing to monitor/catch it at that price.

Personally, I am holding out / saving up for their 30" LED, which is usually $689, but I saw recently drop to $599.99. Which, IMO is a great price for that monitor. I just set up the price monitoring things a couple weeks ago though, so I will report back on pricing trends if anyone is interested.

It's hard enough to keep my computer room cool, don't need a 30" CFFL backlight contributing to the heat, lol. Plus brightness, lifetime, etc. makes me want save and pay for the LED. But if you are on a budget, man that 30" CFFL is a lot of monitor for $300 something. Best part is both of these are 16:10!

Comment

The LED (NOT CCFL!) 30" Monoprice is on sale for $499 right now! Shipped!

I am really, really thinking about pulling the trigger on that right now, it's the cheapest I've ever seen it.

If you are going to order one, do it quick, these sales don't last long (usually 1-2 days at max, sometimes hours).

30in IPS LED Backlit LCD Panel WQXGA 2560x1600 Dual Link DVI-D, DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA w/Adjustable stand -Matte / Anti-Glare - Monoprice.com

Comment

Trigger pulled! :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X