Help and suggestions plesae..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help and suggestions plesae..

So I need a few suggestions from you guys (kinda time sensitive).

As I was setting up my new office I went to start up the desktop my assistant uses and nothing. I'm pretty sure the motherboard is toast as I can't get any response from it and I've checked it with two different working power supplies. The computer is an Acer Aspire M5800 link it has done well these last years, been running almost not stop since 2009.

I need this computer or its replacement to be up and running in another week and a half. The basic uses of this unit going forward are going to be mostly business applications, web browsing....the usual light duty all around. I have also considered replacing it with a mid range laptop, but desktop's seem to have a little more longevity I have found for this type of use.

I'm thinking of just re-purposing the case as it is still quite usable and I do like the extra memory card reader on the top edge. I was thinking of just putting in a new motherboard/cpu combo and new ram. I was hoping to reuse the old ram but they are only 2GB sticks @ 1333, there is 8GB of it but it seems most of the new microATX boards I've seen only have 2 slots.

I'm looking for some thoughts on whether to reuse and rebuild or buy entirely new or replace with a laptop. I'm leaning towards the reuse and rebuild but could be swayed......
    sigpic

Re: Help and suggestions plesae..

Because of your time frame, maybe look at Craigslist in your area for a good deal on a basic desktop? You shouldn't need a whole hell of a lot just for an office computer. Then repurpose your other case at your leisure.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

You might check that the RAM isn't the culprit by removing all but 1 stick(try a couple of them seperately).
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Check the PSU! Those pre-built systems use some of the worst, reliability-wise, power supplies I've seen. I've seen more generic PSUs die after a few years of usage than motherboards go out. If the mobo indeed fried, you would usually see some indication of it: burst capacitors, burnt capacitors, slight smoking, burnt/crisp smell coming from the components, burn marks, etc.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks for suggestion about ram Namebot. I hadn't thought to do that yet. I'll try that in the morning.

Acreo, I have verified PSU to be working with multimeter.

Randy good thought about Craig's list.....I haven't used it much so always forget to check it.
          sigpic

Comment

So I've tried taking out all the RAM and using only one stick. Still nothing unless they are all bad. I double checked the PSU and it still fires up and test ok if I jumper pins 15 and 16 on 24 pin connector. I test the power switch and it open and closes its circut loop. So I am back to it being something on the motherboard not working.....Any other ideas for trouble shooting?
            sigpic

Comment

The standard way to approach this problem (machine does not power on at all) is to remove all components except those needed to POST. Mainboard, CPU, single RAM stick, and PSU. Then if the problem persists to swap those components 1 by 1 if possible with known working ones. If that is not an option, then it is time to look at replacing it.
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                The standard way to approach this problem (machine does not power on at all) is to remove all components except those needed to POST. Mainboard, CPU, single RAM stick, and PSU. Then if the problem persists to swap those components 1 by 1 if possible with known working ones. If that is not an option, then it is time to look at replacing it.
                I was going to suggest the barebones strip method next. Name beat me to it. :)

As for your poor man's PSU test, that does NOT test for load. It only tests that the PSU will power up, but does not guarantee it will continue to function once a load has been placed on it. A malfunctioning PSU might just sputter and die once a load is applied.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well at this point I've done all of the above. While I'm enjoying doing this sort if thing again, I can't really justify anymore time spent on it.

Ive been looking at some parts and once I'm back to my laptop I'll post up a couple of my thoughts for replacing to get your feedback. I'm aiming to get this sorted by Sunday.
                  sigpic

Comment

I have narrowed it down to these 2 options a desktop for $579 Office¬*Supplies,¬*Technology,¬*Ink¬*&¬*Much¬*More ¬*|¬*Staples

Model:ASUS M11AD-CA006S
                    Intel Core i5-4460S
                    Intel H81
                    Windows 81 64bit
                    DDR3 1600MHz 12G
                    1TB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) Hybrid 8GB SSD
                    AMD Radeon R7 240 2GB (1D-SUB
                    1HDMI
                    1DVI
                    SuperMulti DVD RW
                    A traditional desktop with enough in it that it should work for years.

Or there is a decent price on Lenovo IdeaCentre All in One Lenovo IdeaCentre A530: 23" MULTIMEDIA TOUCHSCREEN ALL-IN-ONE for $946. I really like the space saving of the lenovo and its design looks sleek. My wife also likes how its looks and works. With its touch interface it should work well for the kids as well.

I'm kinda torn between the 2 as I see pro's and con's for both. If I could get a few outside thoughts would help.
                    sigpic

Comment

Quite honestly for the tasks that your assistant is doing, I'd be more tempted to stick with the Lenovo AIO touchscreen machine. Get a decent warranty package for it and you're set. She can (or you can) demo with the touchscreen and whatnot. More desk room for files and whatnot-junk. It's more pricey, but that's because the touch panel costs about 1/3 of that price tag. However, upgrading is going to be limited if possible at all.

You're almost paying twice as much. So it comes down to how important the space-saving design of the Lenovo is to her/his workflow? Is it going to contribute to her/his productivity over time? Probably. Sure as hell would if I was your assistant.

Then again, you could go with the traditional desktop. Then spend the extra you saved on a better ergonomic chair, a good typist keyboard (mechanical), a good mouse, a nice big screen (or two monitors) -- helps workflow a lot not switching between large spreadsheets and whatnot, some other accessories, etc.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks Acreo...its the way I've been leaning. Plus the wife really likes it too.

I'm calling Lenovo today to see what the cost difference would be for an updated one with an i5 processor. When doing a bit more research on them I realized that the A530 was released in 2013 and they are on to a new model the A540.

One of the cool things with the A530 is that it has 2hdmi ports in and out. I figure I'd be able to hook up a console to it and use the monitor for console gaming too.

I'll update when the purchase is made.
                        sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...