New Video Card - Finally....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Video Card - Finally....

I've been running my gaming rig off an old GTX570 that has seen better days. It's was abused as an overclocked bitcoin miner quite a while back, and has freaked out many times due to thermal issues caused by dusty heatsinks. It also randomly makes my monitors go into power saving mode with no way to get them back short of physically unplugging everything, letting all the caps discharge, and plugging everything back in again.

Quite a pain when I want to sit down and do some gaming.

Anyway; I finally broke down and bought a new video card: Amazon.com: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5 128bit, PCI-E 3.0 Dual-Link DVI-I, 3 x DP, HDMI, SLI, HDCP, G-SYNC Ready Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2966-KR: Computers & Accessories

I didn't have a ton of money, so the $200 mark was a nice place to jump in to a 960.

Anyone else have this card or any experience with it? Any worthwhile notes or recommendations?
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: New Video Card - Finally....

You can't go wrong with EVGA in my opinion. I have the 970 now for about 6 months. It's a great card and I read good things about the whole 900 series. Good luck with it. I went from a 470 to a 970. It was like night and day. I suddenly was experiencing in game effects I never knew existed.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

eVGA, meh. I'd be more concerned with blown caps on your eVGA cards down the road. Or at least that's been my experience, both poly caps and regular caps blown, sometime after warranty expired. :(

Apophis, nice to see someone buying that one step down card that no one seems to get. :) What games have to tested/played with that card already? Any framerate numbers to report?
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My last few cards have been EVGA and I've been more than happy with them. We also use hundreds of the EVGA PCoIP zero clients at work and they've been very solid. So I'm not worried about the manufacturer.

I'm really liking it so far, but I've not put it through too much yet.

Although my needs have largely changed over the years. I only really look for an affordable card that can perform well for the games I'm playing. In that regard, I'm very happy with it.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Good to see that you are back and with new hardware.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I'll tell you which card to stay away from: sapphire r9 280x toxic. Stay away! Card is completely unstable and sapphire's customer support is horrible. They definitely lost me as a customer.

I was thinking xfx but maybe I'll try evga for my next card.
            sigpicBF3

...That's a big twinkie

Comment

I admit on not technically savvy enough to look at capacitors. That's a good point though. EVGA used to have a lifetime return policy and that is what originally drew me to them. They've since amended it to three years I believe but for me that is long enough....

Anyways I've bought EVGA since I've been doing my own builds dating back to 2003 or so. I've had one fail but I had bought it reconditioned and got two years out of it so I was okay with that. Everything else from them has been rock solid and....their customer support is awesome. To me that is worth paying a little bit more.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

i've been running an EVGA for a few years now, at least 4 in a secondary build i have for backups and tests, never once did it fail me,
                |TG-18th|Markolh (Just call me Mark)
                BF Admin & Crazy French-canadian
                Former Irr, 11th and 31st

"He who wants peace, prepares WAR"

Comment

I will be moving to the 970 soon. It will be my fourth EVGA gpu, the first three without any problems. I stuck a penny in the caps and the head still shows so I still have some miles yet... never mind that's for tires.

Comment

anyways good luck with the new machine. It is always fun.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed