Inexpensive Cloud Storage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive Cloud Storage

I am looking for inexpensive cloud storage. Just looked at Google Drive -- $10/month per terabyte -- outrageous.

Anyone have any suggestions that do not involve robbery or worse? I am looking for multi-terabyte storage service.
    sigpic

Re: Inexpensive Cloud Storage

How about a home solution?
    Only limited by your internet connection and size of the drives you put to it.

Cannot offer details, but used to run an ftp service on a SuSE Linux box to move data to and from work(s).
    I'm sure there would be an open solution for 'cloud'

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Home office I only have. Will try to make cloud storage in my sock drawer ;-O

Will probably be cheapest just to buy a 3T drive or two. Still -- amazing that we cannot rent 10 terabytes annually for $100 or less compared to Google's offer of $1000/year !!!
      sigpic

Comment

I use drop box as I have 60GB free for the last 2 years. But that ends in April, and I will just pay to get the 1TB service. I have so much on their and I can not be bothered to move it.

Comment

I went with MS/onedrive for now. For the same price(or cheaper as the software keys can be bought on amazon/etc) as the other big players you get unlimited* storage plus access to the full Office 365 suite.

OneDrive now with unlimited storage for Office 365 subscribers - Office Blogs

*At least for me - unlimited hasn't kicked in yet - still 1TB - apparently rolling out soon.
          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

$10 for a 1 TB of space is cheap. You have to consider that you are paying for more than just the storage space, but also reliability, historical versioning/revisioning of files (it saves older versions of your files so you can easily restore a older copy in case you delete something), Google's take on Microsoft's office suite, increased storage for your Gmail, Google Photos, and the ability to share files with all, a select number, or no one without possibly compromising your home network.

Or perhaps few think of what you are paying for when it comes to cloud storage? Guess you guys only see $$$ and want the cheapest possible. Whatever, don't know why I bother.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I do not think $120 annual for 1T is cheap. Nonetheless, there is wisdom in the use of the cloud.

Pushed my massive computer case back into place this morning and knocked a 3T external off the top of my desk (dragged by the cords...).

The drive is dead, $150 purchase (a few years ago) wasted. Mostly contained backup material but lost a years worth (2012) of photos and videos. I hope I did not do anything significant in 2012 . . .

Mondays . . .

sigpic

Comment

Update on lost 3T:

Win7 computer management services now recognizes the drive but is asking for the disk to be initialized before Logical Disk Manager can access it.

Use the following partition style for the selected disks:

* MBR (Master Boot Record)

Looks like I will need to reformat the external 3T.

Must ask wife what we did in 2012 . . .
                sigpic

Comment

what kind of drive is it e-male? if a seagate, you can try running seatools on it, sometimes it can recover your drive for you
                  |TG-18th|Markolh (Just call me Mark)
                  BF Admin & Crazy French-canadian
                  Former Irr, 11th and 31st

"He who wants peace, prepares WAR"

Comment

Originally posted by markolh View Post
                    what kind of drive is it e-male? if a seagate, you can try running seatools on it, sometimes it can recover your drive for you
                    WD Caviar Green 3T

Running TestDisk 7.0 Data Recovery Utility on the disk now. Appears to be read errors at EVERY cylinder. Looks like this is going to take a few hours.

The issue may be inside the drive or due to a disconnect between the drive and its mounts to the external drive casing.

More news later . . .
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      $10 for a 1 TB of space is cheap. You have to consider that you are paying for more than just the storage space, but also reliability, historical versioning/revisioning of files...
                      I'm right there with you. $10/mo for 1TB of cloud based storage with the backups, availability and protection included is WELL worth the price of admission to me. Considering the data is sharded, encrypted, and made available simultaneously through multiple data-centers around the world; the risk of data loss is pretty much eliminated, as is the need to keep your own backups.

The extras you get as part of the Google Docs offering w/ file revisions, change history, etc. are just icing on the cake.
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                        The issue may be inside the drive or due to a disconnect between the drive and its mounts to the external drive casing.
                        Yeah, more likely than not your drive heads are toast. Without specialized hardware/software that can read latent track data, it's doubtful you're going to be able to get anything back without sending the disk out to a data recovery service.

Today must be a bad day for this; I came into the office this morning and had a voicemail from someone who did something almost identical and is bringing the drive up for me to try and recover. I'm going to avoid going near any other external drives today as I don't want this bad luck rubbing off on me!

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                          I'm right there with you. $10/mo for 1TB of cloud based storage with the backups, availability and protection included is WELL worth the price of admission to me. Considering the data is sharded, encrypted, and made available simultaneously through multiple data-centers around the world; the risk of data loss is pretty much eliminated, as is the need to keep your own backups.

The extras you get as part of the Google Docs offering w/ file revisions, change history, etc. are just icing on the cake.
                          Granted, but lets extend that cost over the 20 or so years I would want to keep the date. Assuming an average of 10T (a modest estimate with HD cameras and so forth).

$10 x 10T X 12 months = $1200/year
                          $1200/year x 20 years = $24,000 lifetime cost of storing 10T over 20 years.

Admittedly, now I only face 3 to 4T in data, but i need to think about scaling the issue over the next 20 years of research projects, videography, and so forth.

Apophis and A.A. are right in terms of security and reliability. And I may yet go with Google. On the other hand, drive prices continue to plummet.

I think I will pull my busted 3T WD Green out of the My Book housing, insert it into a spare External housing and see if that works. If not, e-waste it is.

My error was to use a backup drive as also an archive for a years worth of photos/videos. A trip to Canada Computers tomorrow for one or two new 3T drives.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                            Granted, but lets extend that cost over the 20 or so years I would want to keep the date. Assuming an average of 10T (a modest estimate with HD cameras and so forth).

$10 x 10T X 12 months = $1200/year
                            $1200/year x 20 years = $24,000 lifetime cost of storing 10T over 20 years.

Admittedly, now I only face 3 to 4T in data, but i need to think about scaling the issue over the next 20 years of research projects, videography, and so forth.

Apophis and A.A. are right in terms of security and reliability. And I may yet go with Google. On the other hand, drive prices continue to plummet.

I think I will pull my busted 3T WD Green out of the My Book housing, insert it into a spare External housing and see if that works. If not, e-waste it is.

My error was to use a backup drive as also an archive for a years worth of photos/videos. A trip to Canada Computers tomorrow for one or two new 3T drives.
                            I don't think it's realistic to scale that $10/1TB for 20 years. Cloud storage and CPU time is getting cheaper and cheaper every year, so your price should scale accordingly over the years. Go back to 2011 and DropBox was charging $10/mo for 50GB w/ Google at $5/year for 20GB. As the cost of storage and bandwidth continue to decline, so will the cost of purchasing cloud storage. My first DS3 circuit ran me $45,000/month PLUS local loop charges, and that was only 45Mb/sec. These days I can get 1Gb/sec for 1% of the original cost.

If you need real-time ACCESS to all that data, cloud storage makes sense. If you're REALLY looking to save this data for 20 years, you've got bit rot concerns that you'll want to address as well. The cloud can help with this, as the data is getting shuffled around quite frequently, but if you're looking to magnetic or optical media for long-term self storage, it can be an issue.

But if you can carve away a couple terabytes of data that only need to be kept for archive purposes, it would make the cloud solution a bit more practical.

Comment

Good points -- forgot to account for depreciation in costs at the other end. And as you note, bit rot . . .

The single best medium for preservation of information remains acid-free paper, but I have yet to come up with a method for transferring video to paper . . .

I have got as far as TestDisk asking if I want a new partition on my bad 3T. Have restarted the analysis to ensure that there is not another option, as I am uncertain what a new partition would do to any data that may still be uncorrupted on the drive.

Basically, I barely know how to turn on my computer most days . . .
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X