Upgrading For My B-Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading For My B-Day

Hey all, I'm revamping my current build for my birthday as its about time to replace all the old stuff. Some of which has already started to fail.

Current Build:

CPU - AMD FX 8120 OC'ed to 4GHz
    Mobo - ASUSTeK M5A97
    GPU - GeForce GTX 760 (2gb DDR5)
    Ram - Viper 16Gb (2 x 8gb)

New Build:

CPU - Same
    Mobo - MSI 970 Gaming AM3+ AMD 970
    GPU - GeForce GTX 970 FTW 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card - Sound Blaster Zx PCIe Sound Card
    Ram - Same

Thoughts? My parents are footing the bill for the upgrade cause I'm a broke bum.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Upgrading For My B-Day

Why change the mobo if you aren't upgrading the CPU?
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Re: Upgrading For My B-Day

For 30 bucks cheaper you can get GIGABYTE GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card that I got. I don't know if there is any actual performance difference between the two, but I love mine. Can handle pretty much anything!

One thing you should know(if you don't know already) for the 970s is that any game that uses more than 3.5 megs of ram can have performance issues. To get over that hump you'd have to buy a 980.

I haven't ran into this issue very much, but then I don't know many games that actually use that much VRAM.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
      [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
      [support]

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
        Why change the mobo if you aren't upgrading the CPU?
        Because my 3 and 4 ram slots have died. They stopped working the other day.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

And here I thought the M5A97 boards were a tanky beast. Guess not. Personally I'm leery of Gigabyte motherboards myself. Have had some terrible experiences when it comes to their picky memory controller implementations, onboard sound chipsets failing, and a number of other issues. For GPUs I don't mind Gigabyte, just not for motherboards. That MSI one you picked out looks nice, but have you tried RMA'ing your current board?
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My current board is close to 4 years old. It's been a beast no doubt. I have upgraded everything in my computer for the last 4 years except the board. It has been a the tank you think it of. It's just time to retire it.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

turn your 760 into the Physix card

Also, what is this about the Nvidia 970s being mislabled? From what I understand the VRAM is not completely the same GDDR5.
              Nvidia explains GeForce GTX 970's memory performance issues, admits error in specs | PCWorld
              [MENTION=36547]Dredge[/MENTION] [MENTION=13034]Acreo Aeneas[/MENTION]
              Last edited by BeSiege82; 02-22-2015, 07:08 PM.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Turn it into what now?

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Nvidia allows you to use another video card to process the Physix stuff. It isn't SLI but it is like having a sound card in that it takes the physixs portion away from the main card or CPU's integrated unit.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Hmmmmmm.........I might have to look into this witch craft.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                      Hmmmmmm.........I might have to look into this witch craft.
                      Witchcraft? LOL.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

That was sort of his reaction the other night when we helped him with over clocking and setting up virtual ram on his SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                          That was sort of his reaction the other night when we helped him with over clocking and setting up virtual ram on his SSD.
                          Wait you helped him do what? That's going to add a ton of small writes to the NAND memory on his SSD. It's going to help it die that much faster. Now if he had a small SSD and you made that a paging drive...that's a whole other story.

Okay, to be fair, it's a throw up whether or not you should/should not put a page file on a SSD. The safe approach is to conserve that NAND flash for better write uses thereby prolonging the longevity of the NAND on the SSD (thus longer lifespan for SSD). The other approach is that the NAND flash should still last a few years (assuming MLC or at least TLC V-NAND) even with a page file on board. Given that even non-3D TLC can withstand ~150 TBs of writes, by the time a TLC SSD fails, it might already have been replaced or could be replaced fairly cheaply.

Personally I drop the page file completely or put a small one on my HDD. The plan down the road is to get a small cheap SSD to use solely for page file writes. That could be something to consider [MENTION=36547]Dredge[/MENTION].
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

we can worry about that another night

Comment

Never did virtual ram. Just went and got real people ram lol. I have been looking online and I think the card I posted (the ftw edition) has stats that are closer to what was promised. I see a lot of people upgraded to it with the trade up from the initial 970's

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X