Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

determine RAM type without opening case?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• determine RAM type without opening case?

I have 256MB of RAM, and I want to upgrade to 512MB. What questions do I need answers to when determining what type of memory to purchase, and can these questions be answered without opening my case? If not, what am I looking for when I open my case?

Man, talk about use it or lose it. I used to know the answers to these questions.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Usually you can find the type of ram in the mother board's hand book, if its a custom computer. I think, not possitive, but there might be some online test to tell you what type you have.. maybe i'm making things up here..

Comment

Bios may well be able to tell, memory frequency and timings are usually all in bios somewhere. If your not sure, post the timings and somebody may well figure it out from your other specs.

Comment

Buy good ram, I have 3 different types of ram in my comp right now. From where I see it as long as each stick can support your timings in your bios they should work fine.

Comment

I've learned that DDR PC2100 is what I have now.

Ok. Next question. I'm going to buy a second 256MB chip.

Does brand name matter? If so, recommend some please.

Wyzcrak
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

crucial, kinsington
            flux
            [tg-c1]

Comment

Don't you mean Kingston?
              I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Corsair. Never had a bad chip, can run 'em at max speed and even faster if you choose. Used to be rather pricey, but now approximate same price as crucial/kingston. Mushkin is great as well, but more expensive.
                "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Originally posted by HSantal
                  Don't you mean Kingston?
                  damn fingers :oops:
                  flux
                  [tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by flux
                    Originally posted by HSantal
                    Don't you mean Kingston?
                    damn fingers :oops:
                    :D
                    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X