Hard Drive Recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive Recommendations

I am purchasing a few 3T internal hard drives.

Read some scary reviews of the low(est) priced Seagate Desktop HDD 3TB 3.5" SATA3 64MB Cache OEM

I have one or WD Green drives that have not disappointed me and will likely go with this again but NewEgg reviews make me think twice.

Is it worth the price to go up-market for the WD Red 3T drives that review better.

The 3T are just for data storage and backup.

Lost in a sea of (review) data . . .
    sigpic

Re: Hard Drive Recommendations

Spend some time in Google looking for datacenter studies on drives. There are a number available.

Datacenters use drives in the tens of thousands and most track failure rates in detail (I know we do where I am). While you may have a couple thousand reviews of a single drive in NewEgg by a couple thousand individuals, datacenters will evaluate the same drive by the tens of thousands over their lifetime.

Focus on the MTBF.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

HGST has a good reputation for reliability https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...eptember-2014/
      Amazon sells them Amazon.com: HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5-Inch 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 64MB Cache Internal Hard Drive Kit (0S03660): Computers & Accessories

Not what you asked for, but consider online backup. I use CrashPlan and it's ~USD$100 for unlimited 2 year backup.
      Yes a hard drive is cheaper and yes a hard drive is much faster but you get protection from theft/fire/etc of your backup drives.

Comment

The Hitachi drives have the best reputation currently at high capacities.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I actually have Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4 TB drive in my rig right now. Replaced two older WD Greens at 1.5 TB each (one of which was failing). It's been a few months and so far not a single problem. It can be a bit slow to wake from idle (about 10 seconds before it is fully responsive).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

E-Male,

In the past I have used WD Blacks. You can't beat that 5 yr warranty IMO. But I think I will dig into that info Apo suggested.

Apo,

I have read that the larger the drive, the less reliable generally. Is that true? And if so, what size drives would you recommend for data storage (i.e., spinners)?

The 240gb SSD I put in my new rig is half full already, so I also will be looking soon...
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. I picked up a 4T 2 disk RAID external box on a whim. Not quite what I was expecting but will do for basic data security. That plus Google's free Drive for my misc documents and a new 3T internal plus one more 3T external bckup for photos/videos will complete the mix.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                Apo,

I have read that the larger the drive, the less reliable generally. Is that true? And if so, what size drives would you recommend for data storage (i.e., spinners)?

The 240gb SSD I put in my new rig is half full already, so I also will be looking soon...
                It's really hard to say with any certainty that larger drives == lower reliability.

I have some storage systems running off 1TB Seagate SAS drives (Around ~400 drives in total) that have been running solid for about 5 years now with not a SINGLE drive failing over that period. We have some other systems running off 500GB drives that are much newer (Toshiba drives) that have failures just about every week. To make matters worse, I have another storage system running 500GB drives that are a couple years older (also Toshiba drives) that have NOT failed.

Much like most other tech, I don't think any single manufacturer can be viewed as "always stable" or "never stable". Different generations of technology from the same company can yield vastly different failure rates.

Originally posted by E-Male
                Thank you all for the replies. I picked up a 4T 2 disk RAID external box on a whim. Not quite what I was expecting but will do for basic data security. That plus Google's free Drive for my misc documents and a new 3T internal plus one more 3T external bckup for photos/videos will complete the mix.
                What kind of box? Does the box supply the RAID controller or is it a JBOD that expects you to provide the controller on the host?

If you're looking for "data security" (I think you're really looking for availability and integrity, not security) you'll want to run those drives in a MIRRORED array (RAID 1) and stay away from striping the data. You'll lose half of the storage space with RAID 1, but at least if one drive dies your data is secured. If you use a striped array without parity (RAID 0) you're actually DOUBLING your risk by striping over two drives. A failure in EITHER drive will likely yield unrecoverable data from both drives.

Comment

Yeah, I was afraid you would say something like that. It rings true though. Just like with car/truck manufacturers, some models are better or worse but it has to do more with specific models or even certain years of certain models, than with one manufacturer overall (generally speaking).

I suppose I will do a little googling along the lines you suggested, and/or revert to my (very small sample size) anecdotal basis experience and reliance on brand name and warranty. And on that basis, in the past I have used WD Blacks. :)
                  "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I was talked into a Lenovo ix2 4T network storage box. Offers JBOD, RAID 0, 1.

I am not crazy about the way it connects through my router -- seems like a security issue for a noob like me. Runs only USB 2.0 (I should have paid closer attention...) along with ethernet. Using the Ethernet connection to my router it took about 24 hours to complete a 1.4 backup. The Web based interface is crappy and the backup software is not great. After completing the very long initial back up the crappy software delivered a cryptic message about the backup being incomplete but does not provide any clues as to what failed to backup. Rather disappointing. Looks like I may have to purchase the True Image Acronis backup software that they are pushing with the hardware. But I do not like Acronis as it does something to the data that makes it impossible to directly interrogate (see) the backed-up files.

As to your excellent question and advice re RAID setting:

Protection: Mirror (RAID 1)
                    Write Caching: Enabled with UPS
                    Periodic consistency check: Enabled
                    total drive size: 3.64
                    capacity 1.8

So at least that is good news -- according to your advice the default RAID setting is the preferred one.

The worst part of all this is I thought I was getting 4T of storage space and now I am left with having to buy another external backup.

Sigh.

I should listen to my father more and NEVER buy on the spot. Walk away and think, Strangelove.
                    sigpic

Comment

Too late to return it?

Comment

as far as RAID, you can go the middle ground and head for a 10 raid setup
                        |TG-18th|Markolh (Just call me Mark)
                        BF Admin & Crazy French-canadian
                        Former Irr, 11th and 31st

"He who wants peace, prepares WAR"

Comment

I'll keep the 4T Raid levono box -- drive prices will continue to drop, down the road I'll replace the 2 2T drives with larger drives. Did another backup last night, one that just adds any new files. I'll look into the forums regarding the error message but otherwise the system works adequately.

Figuring out the Windows7 file/drive network sharing permissions is a pain. I hate this stuff. I hated it in the 1980s and I hate it today.
                          sigpic

Comment

As a generalization the less platters(moving parts) and complexity in a drive design the more reliable it will be. KISS generally works out, generally.

Here is a compilation of drives from the major manufacturers that someone has put together noting platter layout and peculiarities:

The HDD Platter Capacity Database
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I've been reading up on a lot of the info over at CloudFlare. It's pretty interesting.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X