No announcement yet.

Time to uninstall uTorrent?....

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to uninstall uTorrent?....

Seems like it for me:

That is an archive as the page is down. Seems like the latest update silently installs software to mine Bitcoins from your machine without permission.

For the security experts in the room, thoughts on this? Although mainly I reckon this is just a greed/trust issue.

As an aside, what is the best/safest/lightest torrent client to be using these days? I have used uTorrent for years...

Original link:

Account Suspended
    Last edited by Jeepo; 03-06-2015, 11:09 AM.

Re: Time to uninstall uTorrent?....

Thread seems to have undergone a modrewrite of some sort. New link: Warning: EpicScale "riskware" silently installed with latest uTorrent - General - ĀµTorrent Community Forums

I'm checking my PC now. Doesn't look like I even have that software on my machine. I do have version 3.4.2 Build 37754 [32-bit]. Not sure if they are using incremental or decremental build number scheme. Probably means I'm not updating until they remove this secretly installed piece of software or fix its permissions.

Screw it. Uninstalling. Don't want the risk of it secretly rearing its ugly head when I need my CPU cycles. Time to find a better torrent client so I can continue downloading new linux distros.

Here are a couple alternatives I found that fit my criteria:

1. Deluge: Deluge BitTorrent Client
    2. qBittorrent: qBittorrent official website

Both are lightweight, ad-free, and don't come with "premium" offers.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

I prefer the openness of qBittorrent. I'm even currently working on a few features for it. I stopped using uTorrent way way back when they first started the advertising crap. I find in-app advertising hinky.

you're about 4 years late.

utorrent has been a botnet for years and years, bud.

Does that miner only work when Utorrent is on? because I can't find any trace of that program on my computer. I've been checking since I heard about it last last week in the news.

You can opt out of installing it during the install of uTorrent. The brouhaha was that the installer didn't allow you to opt out. My understanding is that users who install the software have to explicitly install the miner as well.

Thanks for the heads up!

Qbittorrent it is!
              No person can simply just be; they are what they do.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed