Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

moving my documents and installs between harddrive... ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving my documents and installs between harddrive... ?

Got a new laptop, it's got a regular 1TB harddrive, and a new SSD drive or whatever they are called... the operating system is on that SSD... but how do I make Steam and origin games and most of my documents and one drive files all go to the bigger drive?

Thx.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: moving my documents and installs between harddrive... ?

Magnum it's an option now for both Steam and Origin. You can install the client where you want but it will default to your C drive/sdd. However when you actually go to DL and install each game you can select where games go. In Steam its per game iirc and in Origin you can switch where games go by default, multiple times. I have Origin games on 3 different drives. I believe it's under the tools/sprocket icon.

Next time I'm on I'll screenshot it for both clients if you haven't already got it working.

Comment

copy, thx... haven't installed them yet...why I didn't know.
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Origin doesn't allow multiple directories technically, but you can just change the install directory whenever you want, and it won't affect current installed games. Steam actually has only had that option for multiple directories for a few years now, but it works really well.

Comment

Not to confuse Magnum but what you just said makes no sense, no offense meant at all mate. Origin allows you to change where you install games as and when you like, ergo it allows multiple directories. It doesn't flash up a message saying " we approve what you just did" lol but it amounts to the same thing.

As far as I'm aware their are no negative effects from having Origin games in multiple directories.

Magum, just ignore this admittedly pedantic exchange lol, it works. [MENTION=9154]UnDeaD[/MENTION], apologies if I'm being stupid and missing the point of what you're saying.:row__645:

Comment

Origin does not allow you to setup multiple directories, you have to manually do it yourself. This is what I mean, if i didn't make it clear.

Steam allows you to setup many directories and when you go install a game, it will ask which one you want to install to.

I get that you can do it on both, but Origin doesn't make it as easy as Steam does, but I mentioned Steam use to be the exact same way three or four years ago.

Comment

got it, thanks... any way to move and force My Documents to be on a D drive instead of the default C drive... since my documents are around 200 GB's. ;)
              Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                got it, thanks... any way to move and force My Documents to be on a D drive instead of the default C drive... since my documents are around 200 GB's. ;)
                Go to your start menu and click on your user name at the top right of the menu. Right click the folder you want to move and select properties. Click the Location tab then click the Move button. Browse to the drive/directory where you would like the folder ,moved to. IIRC, you make a new folder at the new location and then the system will rename it when you complete your selections. In any case, I followed the directions at this link and moved most of my user folders off the SSD. Works great.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X