Gaming Laptop - Thoughts???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming Laptop - Thoughts???

Considering a gaming laptop (Ok, actually an Alienware one mostly because I'm lazy) and wanted to know what this excellent technical resource called "TG" thinks of the concept.

Do they work? Will the handle the graphic requirements of games (ArmA3?? etal)? Are they worth the investment or do they fall short (as in WAY short) of a true game rig?

Just musing on the topic given some extended travel I'm doing and yet some good "hotel down time" when on the road.

Thanks in advance team, I love you guys . . . . :-)

Solo

Re: Gaming Laptop - Thoughts???

"They do exist"!

As for gaming laptops, look for something with a maxwell chip in it and a haswell i7. That means that anything with an 860M or better is on the table. I have a lenovo Y50-70 which has an 860M and it can play Arena Commander. Just keep in mind that 3 things you must have when looking at a gaming laptop: 2 fans, reliability of the product, and the performance. Also, as an option, you really should consider purchasing a large SSD for the laptop as it is common to see the HDD maxing its read/write speed.

Dell makes a solid gaming laptop, so since you mentioned them already, feel free to really consider them. A dell with SLI using an 860M or above is actually pretty powerful and the i7- 4710 HQ is actually very similar in performance to the i7-2600 desktop cpu in performance, so there really isn't too much to worry. Lenovo makes a solid Y50 option and is one of the cheaper and sleeker options. Do not buy an MSi--shoddy construction. Asus is great. The Asus ROG series of laptops are solid choices but they do tend to be on the heavy side.

Why don't you head over to XOTICPC and look at some of the options they have there. There are some companies I have never heard of, so do some research about the brands. I wish I knew about MSi's poor reputation in the laptop field.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

You will be paying a large premium for the ease of transport that a gaming laptop provides. The performance ceiling is much lower as well.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

if you go Lenovo, watch the sales. You can get a Y50 for under $800.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

So what I'm hearing is that the DO work. Not as killer as a true game rig, but they get the job done. At the end of the day that's my goal. I'm not looking to replace the game rig I have just to have something to take on trips and be able to play with the the team here when there is down time (as they always is) when hanging out in the hotel room.

For comparison I looked at an Asus one at NewEgg and it looks like it has all the Alienware does and is a lot less price wise.

This one - ASUS ROG G751 series G751JY-DH72X Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4860HQ (2.40GHz) 32GB Memory 1TB HDD 512 GB SSD (PCIEG2) SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB 17.3" Windows 8.1 64-Bit - Newegg.com

My goal is just to be able to spend some time with the team here when on the road and not slow the whole team down with bad frame rates and a sub par system.

Continue the discussion the picture is beginning to clear for me.

Solo

Comment

I have a Lenovo Y50 (Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4 GHz Processor, 16 GB DDR3 RAM; 256 GB Solid-State Drive, NVIDIA GTX-860M 2GB Graphics, 15.6-Inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Display).

It handles Arma 3 on Very High at acceptable frame rates. I would venture that congested hotel Internet is going to be a bigger problem for you :)

Oh! One last note. I used an ASUS ROG 17.1in as my primary gaming rig for a couple years (retired it about 18 months ago) and it was very reliable. I would defiantly buy one of their machines again. In fact my ROG is still pulling duty as a Minecraft server for my kids :)

Comment

[MENTION=109039]Noyava[/MENTION], are you talking about the G73? I had one of them and replaced it with the Y50-70. Mind you, I installed an SSD and it has the 4710HQ with 8Gb. I venture to say that the Y50s will be upgraded soon to have a 900 series soon.

Comment

[MENTION=14958]BeSiege82[/MENTION] - yes, it is a G73. The thing is a tank of a laptop, not something I'd want to travel with.

Comment

Awesome, thank you guys. Narrowing the field

Looking at this one - ASUS ROG GL551 series GL551JW-DS74 Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60GHz) 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2GB 15.6" Windows 8.1 64-Bit - Newegg.com

at the moment; seems to have all that you have spoken of and has both SSD and HD with good RAM and all the other stuff.

My only question is this - seems like there isn't enough air movement space. The Alienware and some of the others I looked at seem to have a lot more slots for a lot more air movement. Is this an issue??

I particularly like how my soon to be "road box" has gone from near 3K to just over 1K . . . . . makes Solo a happy ground pounder.

Keep in coming guys, I think I might be able to pick one before the next round of world travel.

Solo

Comment

No.

*ALARM*

Solo, that does not have enough air flow.

Comment

Amazon.com: ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71 15.6-Inch FHD Gaming Laptop, NVIDIA GTX960M: Computers & Accessories

Same laptop without SSD for 200 less. For $200 you can purchase a ~500GB SSD seperately and install yourself if you are up for it. The SSDs included in systems are almost always a huge markup. Q&A on amazon claims there is a second drive bay so installation should be easy.

The Best Budget Gaming Laptop (so far) | The Wirecutter

This reviewer suggested that all laptops competing the same category as that model get "too warm". Their metric was possible discomfort to the user and not damage to the device over the long term.
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Isn't poor air flow another of the major strikes against any "gaming" laptop?
                        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Anything that doesn't have 2 fans and good intake is out in my book. If you don't have a fan per cpu and gpu, you are cooked.

I am uncertain about the setup of the model you have down. The 17.1 inch models do have the dual fan configurations and are good at controlling heat.
                          Notebooks & Ultrabooks | ASUS ROG G751JL | ASUS Global

Comment

Ya . . . I was sooooo close to not spending as much . . then I ran across this one (Thanks BeS) . . . and now I'm hooked again

ASUS ROG G751 series G751JY-DH72X Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4860HQ (2.40GHz) 32GB Memory 1TB HDD 512 GB SSD (PCIEG2) SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB 17.3" Windows 8.1 64-Bit - Newegg.com

Sigh . . . resigned to the concept that done right this is NOT going to be a quick and painless purchase.

Ah well,

Start saving pennies . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Awesomeness,

Solo

Comment

XOTIC PC | Alienware 17 (980M) - 17" Gaming Laptop

XOTIC PC | Alienware 17 (970M) - 17" Gaming Laptop

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X