Another Build Thread - Graduation gift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Build Thread - Graduation gift

Hello gents, been awhile, I'm about to graduate with a degree in physics, since I sacrificed my sanity and gaming to the college, i decided to put aside around $1700 for 2 things.

1. A new gaming desktop, i won't have much in the way of reusing in my old desktop since I'm giving that to someone who needs it.

2. A new handgun, currently eyeballing the Ruger GP-100, which i might be able to find around 600 used.

Sooooo, whatever money i don't spend on one goes to the other.

Few quick questions before I go and start part searching. This won't be immediate since I'm waiting to start my job in an engineering gig and start pulling income.

1. I've always been an Nvidia and intel fanboy, any reason to switch now.

2. What Processor socket should i build around? What is good bang for buck setups.

3. I'm thinking of getting ANOTHER copy of 7, and simply waiting till 10 rears its head for the free upgrade, you think this is sound?

4. I need a new monitor, the friend i'm giving this to is in need of that as well. I haven't looked at them in years, could use an update.

5. Any advice on gun purchasing/recomendations? My personal firearm (A Charter Arms Police Bulldog) is an inherited item.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Another Build Thread - Graduation gift

What about the Ruger do you like? And what state are you in?

I either don't know or don't care about the computer stuff.
    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Ok, AMD is going to release the R9 390X which according to leaked reviews actually does better than the 980ti and is near the Titan Z. Now, I suggest you actually read this link before you write anything off. The 960 performs like a card from the 700 series, the 970 is a good card which is a middle ground (not the best and far from the worst), and the 980 is the current top non-titan class card. AMD's 390X release should change the price of all the cards, including the Titan Z, especially since the (lesser known) 380X leaks place it some around the same performance of a regular 980.

As for CPUs, well, AMD has not produced a chip that will out perform Intel at the moment. Give 2 years and they should have an actual change in product line ups. So, basically, if you want to get a high performance chip, go Intel since you want a computer built during the summer.

As for the CPU type, I suggest getting an i7. It doesn't have to be the 4770k or the next step up or even the crazy 5000 series which include the 2011 socket 6 and 8 core CPUs, but look for something that is more than the i5 quads. Nerd, you never struck me to be the type to upgrade all the time, so upgrade the CPU now and not worry about it until you have to replace or rebuild.

AMD R9 390X, Nvidia GTX 980 Ti and Titan X Benchmarks Leaked

Radeon R9 390X PC Gaming Graphics Card Hardware For Game System Requirements

I would get Windows 10, BUT if you buy 7 or 8, make sure it is at least PRO edition because then you can get your hands on 10 for free. Windows 10 test versions are not bad. I've been messing with them for a while actually.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

[MENTION=16023]Portable.Cougar[/MENTION]

I've shot both the 686 and the gp-100, and love both. But when cost comes to mind, the Ruger is easier on the wallet, I like the look of it. Also, there is a gunsmith who loves to work on them in the area, and he said he'd spruce it up for me if i were to buy a ruger. Why do ask? Also i live in Ohio.

[MENTION=14958]BeSiege82[/MENTION]

The i7's always seemed overkill, my computer has an i5-2500k, which is still holding strong. Is the i7 worth the extra 150 dollars? Also, i don't want to get a 30inch 4k monitor (my eyes are happy with 1920*1080), so would the current mid range cards still stand? And your right man, the only compnent i ever upgrade was the HDD -> SDD as well as the graphics card.
        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Well, I've gotten sucked into the whole "what could bottleneck" question.

Personally, you could go cheap and buy a R9 200 series, but they are not worth it unless you go with an R9 290X and if you look at the Nvidia line up, the 970s are the sweet spot, but really, Nerd, wait for the R9 300s to hit because they should drop the price of all the cards. When they drop, the 980s might become worth it. As a note, the AMD R9 300s will not be any different from the previous generation with the exception of the 380 and above cards.

The problem with the Nvidia 960 is that it equates to a last generation video card, so you aren't doing yourself a real favor unless you find some ridiculous price and are willing to pay more for the performance of an older card. The mid-range R9 200s are really rebranded HD 7000 series cards. Just wait to see the performance line up this summer when AMD releases and do a performance to price comparison.

Buy a GPU with 3Gb of VRAM or above. I have seen my HD 7950s use more than 2Gb of VRAM and it would be a shame to see your computer crash because of the card.

Well, I just want to say that right now, there are not too many hyper threaded programs. i5s are ok, but if things start going down the road of beasts then go with the i7. I babble on like a mad man when it comes to Star Citizen but if that signals companies to start producing performance devouring games, then get the i7 and consider it as a long term kind of deal. I don't really know what you plan to do with your computer.
          If you want to play something that devours performance like Star Citizen or ArmA and have something else running in the background (like a video recorder/ stream service) you should consider the i7.
          If you want to get something that can keep you good for a while since you think you think you will not likely be doing anything that would need an upgrade, then get the best i5 you can get...

Short answer

Nerd, basically, you spend $100 more to get about 2MB larger L3 cache and 4 hyper threads. That is the basic difference between the high end Devil's Canyon i5 and the i7-4790k. If you think you will never use anything that can benefit the extra threads, then go with something like a i5-4690k otherwise, drop the cash on the i7 and be willing to use the computer to its fullest over an extended lifespan.

When it comes to GPU's--wait as the r9 300s will drop this summer and the price war will begin. The 960 2Gb falls in the realm of the 700 series in performance and the 970s and 980s will drop. The R9 290x will drop considerably but is outdated since the 900 and the 300 series greatly out performs the 200 series.
          Last edited by BeSiege82; 05-24-2015, 11:40 PM.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

The only reason to get an i7 over an i5 is if you are doing something that benefits from a multithreaded workload (i.e., video compression, folding at home, some other things, but you would likely know what those things were if you were doing them). For gamers, single threaded performance is still the most important. And that's where the i5 shines, that is the best bang for your buck, and the AMDs, unfortunately, cannot compete at this time, in value nor performance.

Which is a sad state of affairs, I was always an AMD fanboy for their value, but they are simply not challenging Intel in gaming / single threaded performance right now.

i7 is the same socket anyway, should you decide you need to upgrade in the future (although that's probably not likely).

After a decent i5, and some decent memory, SSD, whatever else, spend as much as you can on as much GPU as you can. Prices fluctuate, and as Siege says there will be shakeups when the new 390 drops. It will just depend what your budget will be at the time, so monitor those Tom's Hardware monthly GPU charts and continue to check back in here. Personally, I am an AMD guy, but that's like arguing over Ford vs. Chevy. :) But AMD is still a great value in GPUs, they aren't getting beat up in that market like they are in CPUs. Having said that, I would get whatever the most bang for the buck is within your budget when you are ready.

Other than that, a good time to build seems to be in the fall, prices drop around the holidays, but keep an eye on PCPartPicker, they have really neat graphs showing price trends.

As for monitor, I picked up a Monoprice 30" 16:10 IPS LED recently for $499, shipped, and I am tickled to death with it. It's a lot of monitor for the money. Then you might decide you need more graphics card. XD

I am also still running Windows 7, as I don't want any of the headaches of being an unpaid alpha/beta tester for Microsoft. It's a PC, not a tablet, and the OS should be configured as such.
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Now, you should be aware that Dx12 is Windows 10 only and Dx12 has some major changes in the way it uses hardware, even to the point of being able to do the equivalent of SLI'ing an AMD card with an Nvidia card. Sounds crazy, but apparently it will consider a GPU as an asset and ignore some of the proprietary hurtles that have been problematic. This also means that the GPU memory will be considered the total sum of the memory installed on both GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                [MENTION=16023]Portable.Cougar[/MENTION]

I've shot both the 686 and the gp-100, and love both. But when cost comes to mind, the Ruger is easier on the wallet, I like the look of it. Also, there is a gunsmith who loves to work on them in the area, and he said he'd spruce it up for me if i were to buy a ruger. Why do ask? Also i live in Ohio.
                [MENTION=16854]Sir-Nerd[/MENTION]

I just have had poor luck with them. I wanted to see if you generaly liked it or thought it looked cool. TBH get what works for you, fits your hand and so on.

Best of luck.
                doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

For $1000 or less, I'd opt for a AMD build. From CPU to GPU. You won't get bleeding edge performance and might only save $100-$200 given sales and discounts over a similar Intel build. However, it's likely you'll be able to upgrade to the next AMD FX processors (Excavator) whenever they come out. Same isn't true of Intel. On a lot of AMD boards, you'll have plenty of SATA III ports whereas on the Intel side you'll have to splurge on a high-end board to get more than 2 (for all those SSDs you might want later).

1. You are still getting ~80%-90% of Intel's performance at a lower price.
                  2. You'll save as much as $200.
                  3. The new 300 series graphics cards from AMD look to be great performers.
                  4. You'll be able to (likely) upgrade to a newer processor down the road.
                  5. Satisfaction you have supported a underdog and bragging rights that you've built and owned a AMD rig.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

current best AMD CPU is comparable to the i7-3770. Excavator is uncertain to be released as an FX chip and a new socket will come out with a big decrease in size, so we may not see a new AM3+ socket chip. They talk about releasing a replacement set of chips for the Centurion chip lineup (the FX 9590 is the flagship of that lineup). I personally have an FX-8370 which isn't bad.

Short way of saying it, AM3+ socket may or may not get newer and more powerful chips. When AMD releases the replacement socket to the AM3+ socket, we should see a jump to a much smaller size cpu and it should be a much better CPU. No idea when that will be.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X