GPU Ugrade Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU Ugrade Question

So, I am overhauling my PC and am getting a new graphics car. My question is, should I get the Nvidia Titan Z or get two 980's and SLI them? Which would give me max performance?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Re: GPU Ugrade Question

[MENTION=36547]Dredge[/MENTION], just wait till the end of the month. A few weeks from now, prices on those things will probably drop a little to deal with AMD's competition. AMD is releasing something this month.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Yeah the new Devil card. But the price tag on it is more than the 980's already and just a shade under the Titan. I don't think it will affect the price THAT much.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

[MENTION=36547]Dredge[/MENTION], the price tags are a little different that what you think you are talking about.

The devil card is something totally different. The devil card is an R9 390X which is a rebrand of the 200 series and it has a different cooling system and they are not the expensive units with HBM installed.

if anything, the Fury and not the Fury X will drive the price down some, since they plan to price cut Nvidia, even though that will bight them in the back.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

True, but. I like Nvidia. I have become a fan boy. And honestly, the price difference isn't a concern at this point

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

From the research I did before buying my 980 the general consensus is that two 980s will outperform one Titan Z in a scenario where the application is SLI optimized. The catch is some applications are either not SLI optimized at all or done poorly. In those cases the Titan wins. For me the marginal improvement the Titan brings to the table was not worth the price jump. I don't have a 4K monitor and have no plans to get one at this time. If you want 4K video then the Titan seems to be the better choice.

Comment

that is the problem for crossfire and sli--optimization is crap. So, get an overpowered card that is not a dual chip card as they suffer the same problem as SLi and crossfire... Hope that DX12 changes things.

Comment

My advice wait two months for Win 10 to drop and see how that interacts with GPU performance. It's been touted as a massive boost to gpu's due to 'closer to the metal' technical magic programing stuff. There is also talk of it allowing recognition of true vram counts, ie 2 x 2 GB cards = 4gb available not 2 as sli currently works.

If any of this pans out this massively changes the dynamic and should change your purchasing options. Currently single card set ups are often regarded as better, less heat, power etc and no problems with micro stutter etc. SLI only becomes really necessary if your chasing 4k or multi monitor resolutions. If Win 10 delivers all this changes and your options open up massively.

Comment

I am chasing 4k, I have a new monitor picked out too. ;) I finally have the ability to basically make a dream build and am starting to pick the parts for it

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Nice!! I'd definitely wait mate, Win 10 looks to be a game changer and it would be daft to jump the gun when its so close. Looking forward to pics and stats from your new mega build, very jealous lol.

Comment

I am very excited! Grabbing the new AMD 8 core and cranking the over clock on it. It's gonna be a beast machine.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Dredge take a look at this video. It seems the GTX 980Ti that is just out, is almost as good as a Titan X and alot cheaper. Actually it is a slimmed down Titan X that can be hooked up in a 4 way SLI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQou5h0Zh2k

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

I'd still have to agree with Wicks on the wait till 10 is out and then decide (and the 980Ti might be hard to improve on if your insisting on a SLI build). Personally, I've started using AMD cards with my AMD cpu's and would only do Nvidia cards if I was building an Intel rig.
                          Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

I used to only use AMD cards until Battlefield. Nvidia cards load the map faster ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

First good reason I have seen to consider upgrading to Windows 10, thanks Wicks.
                              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X