Upgrade router or get range extender

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade router or get range extender

I've been using the Netgear N600 for four years, but I need to improve wireless coverage across the entire house. The router is located on the first floor in one corner of the house and cannot be relocated. Should I look into upgrading the router to one with better range or should I get a range extender or wireless access points?
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: Upgrade router or get range extender

Well, I think getting an AC capable router would be good, but that only works out if you have AC in your other computers.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

You can buy adapters for those computers, though you might be out of luck for cell phones that don't support your wireless.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
      [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
      [support]

Comment

Did your current wireless access point ever cover adequately?

Does it cover half of the house well enough?
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I would say the current router covers half of the house adequately.

The current setup is a wired connection to my PC and wireless connections made by a couple of laptops, two iPads, four phones, and two Blu-Ray players. Though just a few of those at any given time. The only ac device is my phone.
          |TG|Melee

Comment

Look for a device that has a better processing capability. I can't say for certain, but this may help with speed of managing/ sorting data...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

If you're looking for a AC router, you usually won't get much better coverage than your current N600. The reason is that 5 GHz (any high frequency really) suffer penalties to signal strength and quality trying to penetrate denser wall materials (brick, mortar, concrete slabs, wood, etc). Though the current AC crop of routers do tend to be just as good coverage-wise as the N600 (if not somewhat better), they do offer far faster speeds than a traditional N wireless router.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

What is the maximum distance from the device that you want covered?

What are the interceding wall materials?

How many and what strength neighboring networks are there?(if lots and strong consider changing the channel of you wireless network to see if that strengthen the signal)
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

The house is wood frame with drywall interior walls. The maximum distance is ~50 feet plus up a floor to the second story, which may include passing through two walls. A couple of neighbors' networks are visible, but not strong.

Anyone know a good app for measuring signal strength?
                  |TG|Melee

Comment

How to Setup a Netgear Dual-Band Router? - Blogs - Sysnative Forums

Looks like the N600 supports usage as a wireless repeater. I suggest that you purchase a new device as your primary wirelss access point and router and setup the N600 as a repeater. Take a look at the TP Link series of AC wireless routers. They have received good reviews and present an attractive price.

Amazon.com: TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router, 2.4GHz 450Mbps+5Ghz 1300Mbps, 2 USB Port, IPv6, Guest Network: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: TP-LINK Archer C8 AC1750 Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router, 2.4GHz 450Mbps+5Ghz 1300Mbps, 1 USB 2.0 Port & 1 USB 3.0 Port, IPv6, Guest Network: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: TP-LINK Archer C9 AC1900 Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router, 2.4GHz 600Mbps+5Ghz 1300Mbps, 1 USB 2.0 Port & 1 USB 3.0 Port, IPv6, Guest Network: Computers & Accessories
                    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Thanks for the advice, particularly on the N600. I'll look into those routers and report back.
                      |TG|Melee

Comment

I actually have a TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 router. It replaced a failing Rosewill R300N router. It's pretty nice, though if you want more granular controls over QoS, the TP-Link firmware doesn't offer that (it's rather simplified). Something like the Nighthawk would be a better alternative if you want full control over QoS options out of the box. If you're willing, give DD-WRT a try. Advanced features and full control without having to buy a even more expensive router (for your N600 that is; doesn't yet support Archer C7 v2).

OpenWRT however does support the TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (along with the majority of their new routers).
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          If you're willing, give DD-WRT a try. Advanced features and full control without having to buy a even more expensive router (for your N600 that is; doesn't yet support Archer C7 v2)..
                          This.

For my parents, I have one router in the office with stock firmware and another one on second floor with DD-WRT and use it as a repeater. Works wonders and you don't need a 2nd high end router (just one that supports DD-WRT).

Repeater Bridge - DD-WRT Wiki

Comment

UPDATE - purchased a Netgear AC1900 router. Range has improved significantly without any additional pieces of equipment. And data flies onto my ac capable iPhone!
                            |TG|Melee

Comment

That is the one I purchased 15 months ago. My only complaint is that the bundled backup software lost files on restore with no error notice. If some of the cheaper options had been available when I was looking I may have considered them, but I managed to get a bundle deal with a cable modem that I needed anyways so it was decent. Enjoy your wireless freedom Melee.
                              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X