Mechanical Keyboard Recommendation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanical Keyboard Recommendation

Anyone have a good recommendation on a Cherry MX Brown Keyboard? Not looking to break the bank. Don't need LED lights. From what I read I think I would want to Brown but let me know if you think Blue/Red/Black etc would be better. Mostly would be for FPS games, Excel, typing

Re: Mechanical Keyboard Recommendation

I've been using the Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard for a couple years.
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mecha...PBCFGS1G2WWJK0
    It has the Cherry MX Brown keys, my experience has been what some of the reviews mention, as a gamer broken keys. First it was the left ctrl then the W button. I was able to contact Logitech about it and they had me send in the old keyboard and gave me a new one. I'd like to say this was after a year of use. The replacement hasn't suffered the same issue so far and I would consider buying another once I spill something on the current one... I haven't used a keyboard with the cherry MX Red so I can't speak to the comparison for gaming but would be interested to hear what others have to say on that subject.

Comment

I've been using a QPAD MK-50 for the past 3 years, and I've yet to break any keys. It's not showing any signs of usage, despite having been used almost daily. I originally ordered with brown switches, but due to it being out of stock at the moment, I got red switches instead - Today I have a hard time telling the difference between red and brown switches, so I reckon you'll do just fine with red as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Squinty View Post
        I've been using the Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard for a couple years.
        http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mecha...PBCFGS1G2WWJK0
        It has the Cherry MX Brown keys, my experience has been what some of the reviews mention, as a gamer broken keys. First it was the left ctrl then the W button. I was able to contact Logitech about it and they had me send in the old keyboard and gave me a new one. I'd like to say this was after a year of use. The replacement hasn't suffered the same issue so far and I would consider buying another once I spill something on the current one... I haven't used a keyboard with the cherry MX Red so I can't speak to the comparison for gaming but would be interested to hear what others have to say on that subject.
        Both my son and I have been using this exact keyboard for the last 7 months. No problems or issues. I will never go back to a non-mechanical keyboard again. The price in the link is the best I have seen for new. We got ours just before the holidays for $99 then the price went back up again.

Comment

I think that the difference in key feel is really important. A few folks here recommend the logitech, but I found it very meh. I like my Razor but it has a really bad rep on the internet. I would suggest you find out what you really like before buying.

Best Buy carries several mechanical keyboards in their gaming section. Go over there, start clacking, and see what you like.

If that is not an option, get a keyboard tester. It will have four keys, each with a different cherry switch: http://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-K.../dp/B00E71W4O8

If you are the patient kind and looking to save a few bucks, try massdrop.com - they do mechanical keyboards.

I have been using the Razer tenkeyless for a year or so. It has Razer's own green switches. It's loud and I find it satisfying to type on (I'm a touch typist): http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyb...nament-edition

Comment

I love my Corsair K70, highly recommend it.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations all. Looking at the Corsair and Razer (i might stay away from Logitech given broken key issues I have heard from several people). Unfortunately massdrop has nothing interesting right now. I might look into WASDkeyboards, the ability to create a custom keyboard is interesting.

Comment

How mechanical are you looking to go?
                https://i.imgur.com/wZQToBQ.gifv

Comment

Hey [MENTION=4712]DrunkenSoul[/MENTION], what did you end up getting? I'm looking at the Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Brown... Though trying to decide whether to go with RGB or just blue LEDs. So, if you went with Corsair, I'm curious to know what you think.
                  Last edited by Melee; 10-06-2015, 11:42 AM.
                  |TG|Melee
                  Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

I love my K95 RGB. Corsair build quality is very solid. I feel like this keyboard will last me a long time, through several builds, maybe forever. Only concern I read was a few people reporting some of the LEDs going out, I haven't had any issue with mine yet but N=1.

Drunken did not care about backlighting, but I do. I like to play in a dark room, so it's a requirement to be able to see the keyboard. Also, being able to program the WASD a different color allows me to orient back to them quickly after typing or whatever. There are lots of things you can do with programming the keys, but honestly I haven't messed with any of that, and just leave it all blue backlighting with white WASD probably 99% of the time. The other 1% I use the hardware brightness button on the keyboard to turn the backlighting off when I am watching/serving movies from the computer at night.

I haven't been able to get the macros to work as well as I thought, so I don't really use them. If you are looking at the K70 anyway, that is the only difference I believe (the K95 has the additional macro keys).

There are lots and lots of keyboards out there, Corsair and Logitech are very well known commercial brands but there are tons of little niche mechanical brands like Poker, etc. and you can get tenkeyless and other form factors, various materials and types of caps, etc. depending on what you want to do. There are so many options in fact, that making a list of sort of what you are looking for might be a good place to start.
                    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I have no complaints about my K70, I am happy with it. Can't really compare it to other brands.

I really don't have a need for the LED lights and the times I do use I am fine using one color. The K70 Red LED I have gives the option to only light the main gaming keys which is helpful

Comment

I cheapskated and bought one without the numpad and backlighting, could not get used to it. Back to my G15...for now.

Comment

I love my Logitech G910. [Link
                          I just recently got it on sale for 140 bucks.
                          sigpic
                          "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." -Man's Prayer Red Green Show
                          "Quando omni flunkus moritati" -When all else fails, play dead. -Red Green Show
                          [Link to my Youtube!]
                          [Link to my Twitch!]
                          [support]

Comment

I ended up not buying the K70 RGB Brown. Instead I opted for the Azio MGK L80 RGB (Kailh Brown) board for about $50 less. Spent the $50 on replacing my Logitech G700s which was exhibiting double-clicking on both primary buttons (2nd replacement in the last 5 years) with the Roccat Nyth.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Im late to the game but I love my K95 from Corsair.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X