Dual Boot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Boot

Hey everybody. I'm thinking of doing a dual boot on my computer with Windows XP Pro (which I already have on it) and Mac OS-X x86. Can any of you think of any actual reasons, other then mac or windows sucks in your opinion, why this would be a bad idea. Let me know, thanks.

Re: Dual Boot

I think you've just steppend into the 9th realm of computing. Why man WHY?

Seriously though, i don't think you can do that and if so i have no information for you sorry :P

- -

Comment

I don't see why you couldn't do it. I had a FreeBSD/WinXP dual boot at one point. It wasn't terribly useful, though. :D

Comment

Well i will be making a full switch to Mac in the near future, being a Web Design major in college mac is best really. So I am starting the switch by just getting used to Mac, and yes it is possible to do the dual boot.

Comment

show me one thing a mac can do better than a pc in web design and illl switch,better yet one over all then ill switch.
          can you put mac osqon to a 486...dont think so
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Can't think of any bad reasons, go for it. I know nothing about that OS X x86, except that maybe you can get a copy from Bigfoot or the Easter Bunny. I dual boot Linux & Windows - XP for games, Linux for everything else.
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
            | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
              Hey everybody. I'm thinking of doing a dual boot on my computer with Windows XP Pro (which I already have on it) and Mac OS-X x86. Can any of you think of any actual reasons, other then mac or windows sucks in your opinion, why this would be a bad idea. Let me know, thanks.
              Nah, its not a bad idea...been thinking about doing the same thing myself.

I've used....Windows XP, BeOS, Linux of several flavors, and FreeDOS on the same drive, no issues.

Say it with me now: GEEEK! :row__631:

Just use some form of partitioning program (I use cfdisk/qtparted from linux, but you can use partion magic) and make sure you don't overwrite the XP partition.

Honestly, it's going to take some hacking to get both OSes to be able to boot. I don't think OSX's bootloader has an option to boot another OS, and getting NTldr to recognize anything other than a windows product is difficult (for me at least).

What I would do is use GRUB (Grand Unified Bootloader) to boot both OSes.

w32grub.zip
              w32grub.zip contains the GRUB boot loader. This is necessary if you don't want to boot from floppy or CD-ROM.

Just unzip it to c:\ then run c:\boot\grub\w32grub This would patch the necessary files(under XP, notlinux). Then add :

c:\boot\stage1="GRUB" to c:\boot.ini

and you now have a grub boot loader on your XP system which can be used to boot all flvors of linux. Check the GRUB manual for detail how to add entries to GRUB.
              Adding entries is simple: use notepad, and follow the manual.

Ok, maybe it's not that simple. I've been digging into open source code for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                show me one thing a mac can do better than a pc in web design and illl switch,better yet one over all then ill switch.
                Well. Considering OSX is BSD UNIX based, you can run a whole slew of open source web based apps and tools that have not yet been ported over to Windows. You can compile yourself a nice Apache server with PHP and MySQL and not have to venture in the whole realm of running that in a (hack) Windows environment.

You have RFC-based Internet protocols for all the TCP/IP services unlike Windows and Microsoft and their own "tweaked" protocols that don't always play along like they are supposed to.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

i forgot apo was here and forgot that os x was unix

(think then post...i always get the switched)
                  that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...