Minimalistic Anti-virus program?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimalistic Anti-virus program?

I've been using norton for years with very few problems. I've recently had an issue with my machine and norton won't run. I noticed that w/o norton there is quite a bit of memory available that it used to be using.

So I was thinking about trying to find a good AV program that does just that. I don't need all the extras and I'm not worried about paying for it. I just want a good strong AV program that stops viruses.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Minimalistic Anti-virus program?

I've heard good things about the free version of AVG: http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I use that particular free version of AVG. Haven't had any problems with it so far.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I like AntiVir from www.free-av.com.

Comment

panda is good...gotta pay for it. small resource usage
          avg is great and its free.
          i switch a couple years ago when i relized norton was a hog.
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by asch
            I've been using norton for years with very few problems. I've recently had an issue with my machine and norton won't run. I noticed that w/o norton there is quite a bit of memory available that it used to be using.

So I was thinking about trying to find a good AV program that does just that. I don't need all the extras and I'm not worried about paying for it. I just want a good strong AV program that stops viruses.

I quit Norton for this very same reason, and others, and have been using AVG for a few months trouble free.
            New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid
              I quit Norton for this very same reason, and others, and have been using AVG for a few months trouble free.
              I think I'm going to be doing the same and for the same reason...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

i love AVG free, no problems, pretty light

Comment

I used AVG in the past and have since switched to avast after AVG allowed a rather nasty something into my mother's machine some time back.

http://www.avast.com/

I know not enough about either to comment further, really.
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by onixxxxxxxx-barn
                    i love AVG free, no problems, pretty light
                    I use it also, really good program!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I recommend AntiVir XP to all my customers. It is quite good and doesn't take up alot of resources.

- -

Comment

The most CPU friendly version of anti-virus I had seen was Symantec Corporate Edition AV 8.x and 9.x. Then 10.0 came out and it seems to be taking the same route as Norton. I hope they patched the later releases.

I use AVG free at home and have been very satisfied with it's performance. Even when scanning, I notice no large latency. At least not enough to affect me browsing the web or editing some small graphics.

Comment

AVG free all the way.
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

AVG is a great program. But personally I dont like real time virus protection.

Every so often I check my computer with TrendMicro's Housecall free online virus scanner. Works great :)

Comment

So I'm in the process of rebuilding my HD and have decided to go with AVG as my anti-virus program. I'm looking at task manager and see that there are four programs running in task manager that are eating up a lot of memory.

avgamsvr.exe 6.9MB
                              avgcc.exe 5.3MB
                              avgemc.exe 6.1MB
                              avgupsvc.exe 2.9MB

That's approximately 21.2 MB memory?!?! When I look at any tasks that run for Norton and there's only a couple MB worth.

Is AVG really a light-weight application?
                              |TG-12th| asch
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...